Cardio vs. Weight Training...Here We Go Again :)

Options
My good friend (who is also on MFP) and I got into this discussion today.

After losing about 30 pounds the first 4-5 months, I stopped losing weight and inches. I did a bunch of things and nothing worked. After 6 months of gaining and losing the same 5-7 pounds I gave up for a bit. Then I read New Rules of Lifting for Women, along with some other stuff, and created my current workout routine which consists of strength training 3 times per week (progressively increasing the amount I lift) and either Yoga, Ballet or Pilates 2-3 times per week. In essence, I flipped what I had been doing...doing less intense cardio and more (heavier) weights. After 4 weeks, I am losing lots of inches but my weight is still not budging.

My friend and I both agree that the cleaner we eat the better. My theory for not losing pounds is that I need to eat cleaner and cut out breads, rice, eating out...you know the more processed stuff. My friend, however, says my problem is that I am not doing enough cardio. She says I need to step it up on the cardio department to get my heart rate going and lose fat. I countered that cardio, although beneficial for overall health, is not necessary for fat loss.

So basically...we both agree that diet is primary, but she believes cardio is more important for weight loss and I think strength training gives you "more bang for your buck".

What are your thoughts? My friend and I are interested in an adult discussion (no attacks) and only opinions based on what has worked for you and/or any scientific knowledge you may have.

Thanks!

Replies

• healthymission92
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure this out myself but I have done both strength training (with a p.t) and just cardio.
    I found that you do lose weight with cardio (probably as you're burning more cals) but with strength training your body composition looks better and you lose fat rather than (muscle, water etc).
    I think when you get close to your goal weight (last 10lbs etc) then strength becomes more important as you will probably want to focus on losing more bodyfat% then.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    f cardio....just saying......... Cardio is good for your heart......probably not a bad idea to do both. But you dont need to do cardio to lose weight.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am with you on the strength training, since starting to lift heavy I have seen some dramatic changes in my body composition. I do very little cardio.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think your friend reads girly magazines more often hence your difference in opinion. haha, this is a bad guess, I know.
    But your friend can "think" all she wants, but neither of you will get anywhere until you either do your research, or try different things while having patience, until you figure out something. No two bodies are the same so you have to tweak things along the way. :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Cardio has its place - but you can easily overdo it.

Strength training will give the best results in terms of shaping your body and building muscle, which in turns uses more calories.

A combination of both is ideal.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm not claiming to be an expert here, but I don't believe that cardio is crucial for weight loss. It helps you burn extra calories but you can do that by eating at a calorie deficit. If you are eating clean and doing a small amount of cardio exercise along with strength training you will loss weight or inches rather. I incorporated strength training into my weight loss routine and what I found was that I was smaller at a higher weight since muscle is denser than fat.

But at the end of the day weight training is essential since you build muscle with weight training and the more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism is...
  • leserpent
    leserpent Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    cardio- weight loss
    weight lifting- size loss

as for which one is better... that's up to you.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    cardio and weight training burn calories, not fat...

the difference is when you're in caloric deficit, the body does not only burn fat, it burns everything.

When you only do cardio, your type II muscle fibres are not being used. in caloric deficit, if you don't use it, you lose it, so the body will shed Type II muscle fibre as it is seen as not necessary. so while weight is being lost, fat isn't as much as optimally could be. You see this time and time again when people get to their goal 'weight' from cardio only, yet still look fat and flabby as they shed a crapton of muscle mass too.

When doing resistance training, you're using said Type II fibres. And the body is like well I'm using these, so I can't get rid of them. And will prioritize fat loss more. This is shows in study after study comparing the 2 forms of exercise while in caloric deficit. In EVERY one, you'll see similar WEIGHT loss amounts given equal calorie deficit, but the resistance training only group will ALWAYS have more FAT loss compared to cardio only.

All that said, this is ONLY when comparing one form of exercise done exclusively to the other. And cardio has other heart and general health benefits that resistance training cannot copy. So do cardio as much as you want, and as long as you do at least some heavy resistance training at least a couple times a week, you will also get the max fat blasting retaining lean mass benefit too.

TLDR: resistance training will be superior to cardio for fat loss. But doing both is better than either one alone for overall health and fitness.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE fan of NROLFW (I start Stage 4 on Tuesday - can't wait!), so if I had to choose between only cardio or weights, I'd probably choose weights for the metabolic benefits.

That said, I do still do 2-3 days/week of moderate cardio for heart health, even though it may not be necessary. I'm working on building my endurance too. And I'm falling in LOVE with intervals for efficiency and building speed.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I read many threads on this topic too. Also read NROWFW and have intended to start the program but haven't. The book makes a lot of sense.

In July 2003, at my heaviest (198) and getting to original goal (144 in Jan '04), all I did was walk and watched what I ate on WW.

Two years ago, I started running and got down to 130. I've never strength trained.

I did gain weight this summer from stress eating and slacking on my running/walking and have picked it back up and losing once again.

I have always had good luck with the cardio. I am sure by physique could change with strength but as for losing pounds, I have had great luck with cardio.
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options

Strength training will give the best results in terms of shaping your body and building muscle, which in turns uses more calories.

Yes, we both agree it's ideal to do a combination of both. Our disagreement, I believe, is which one is more effective for fat loss.
  • mzpharrell
    mzpharrell Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My trainer has told me that cardio is nly beneficial for temporary loss unless its combined with weight/resistance training. He has me do cardio warm up 15-20 mins, weight/resistance training and cardio again while my heart rate is up for 20 mins! He says the most up to date stairmaster is the best!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Yes, we both agree it's ideal to do a combination of both. Our disagreement, I believe, is which one is more effective for fat loss.
    I touched on it in my post. There have been a ton of studies done on this exact topic. in EVERY one, resistance training is always better for fat loss when directly comparing the 2. but it's a moot point to a degree. a person should never do one or the other if fat loss is their goal.
  • smshepherd
    Options
    The affect of cardio, can for the most part, be simulated by just not eating the calories burned. It's not as crucial to weight-loss as a lot of people would assume. Not to mention too many people will over-estimate the amount of calories burned while running and eat back up to maintenance / over anyways. If you like cardio, great. Go for it. But don't do it for the sole purpose of burning calories. It's just easier not to eat them. Towards the lower end of the BF% spectrum, I've read that HIIT can help with losing the last stubborn amount of fat, but this will only apply to a small % of people anyways.

As for why you're not losing weight while weight-lifting, the answer to that is actually pretty simple. If you're getting enough protein and lifting progressively heavier weights, you're basically just doing a recomp of your body composition. Losing fat to gain muscle. Since muscle is denser than fat, you can put on "less" muscle than the fat and look smaller without actually going lower on the weight scale. If you're losing inches, clearly what you're doing is working and I'd strongly recommend you stick to it.

And I'm not going to lie, a young lady who lifts weights like a man is damn sexy. It shows a commitment and desire to bettering their body, and being willing to look past the myths surrounding women and weight-lifting. The book you read is actually one I recommend to female friends who are currently cardio bunnies in the gym. So kudos to you!

Finally, I'd like to introduce you to Staci. A young lady who was a cardio bunny / restrictive diet weight loss gym goer. Then _put on weight_ and looked far better after putting on the weight because it was mostly muscle. She is an inspiration to anyone looking to weight lift, and an excellent case study for women who are afraid they'll "get bulky" while lifting.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

TL;DR: So, I guess, basically, if you're losing inches without losing pounds. You're doing it right. When weight-lifting it's better to go by the waist, not the scale anyways. Cheers!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I do strength training every third day, though I am only doing upper body at the moment. I'm slowly incorporating core into my strength training. I do very little in the leg department because I'm training for a half, so I run to work and then do my upper body and core in the afternoon. I run home the next morning when I get off work and try to do long runs (right now, 8 miles). I hit a wall with weight loss for a few weeks, then when I added the weights it just started coming off again.

I believe you need both.
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    cardio and weight training burn calories, not fat...

the difference is when you're in caloric deficit, the body does not only burn fat, it burns everything.

When you only do cardio, your type II muscle fibres are not being used. in caloric deficit, if you don't use it, you lose it, so the body will shed Type II muscle fibre as it is seen as not necessary. so while weight is being lost, fat isn't as much as optimally could be. You see this time and time again when people get to their goal 'weight' from cardio only, yet still look fat and flabby as they shed a crapton of muscle mass too.

When doing resistance training, you're using said Type II fibres. And the body is like well I'm using these, so I can't get rid of them. And will prioritize fat loss more. This is shows in study after study comparing the 2 forms of exercise while in caloric deficit. In EVERY one, you'll see similar WEIGHT loss amounts given equal calorie deficit, but the resistance training only group will ALWAYS have more FAT loss compared to cardio only.

All that said, this is ONLY when comparing one form of exercise done exclusively to the other. And cardio has other heart and general health benefits that resistance training cannot copy. So do cardio as much as you want, and as long as you do at least some heavy resistance training at least a couple times a week, you will also get the max fat blasting retaining lean mass benefit too.

TLDR: resistance training will be superior to cardio for fat loss. But doing both is better than either one alone for overall health and fitness.

This makes a lot of sense to me!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Clean eating really doesn't have the effect that people think it does. If you want to eat "clean" as a personal or ethical or whatever choice, more power to you. For pure fat loss it has little bearing. http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/dirty-vs-clean-dieting-roundtable.html for example.

You mentioned you're losing lots of inches but no weight. What's the problem? Weight doesn't mean anything, body fat loss and appearance is what you're looking for right? You're doing perfectly, keep it up and enjoy the rewards.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Found this great article last night - and it really brought it home for me again why I am squarely in the weight lifting group (with some cardio in the mix) - I want to lose fat - not weight!!

http://metaboliceffect.com//topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx

Fat Loss Vs. Weight Loss

Weight loss does NOT equal fat loss. You may be burning calories or losing weight, but that weight and those calories may or may not be coming from fat. If you follow the standard low-calorie-aerobic-exercise-model, you are likely burning muscle not fat. And a loss of muscle means a less efficient metabolism. This is the missing link when personal trainers and fitness enthusiasts embark on helping others and themselves create new bodies.

When personal trainers or exercise enthusiasts focus on weight loss, they are doing a grave disservice to their clients and/or themselves. It has been known for quite sometime that the low calorie aerobic exercise model creates a much less efficient metabolism in the long run. A study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition in April 1999 showed just how damaging the weight loss model can be on metabolic efficiency. This study looked at a group of obese individuals who were put on a very low calorie diet and assigned to one of two exercise regimes. One group did aerobic exercise (walking, biking, or jogging four times per week) while the second group did resistance training three times per week and no aerobic exercise.

At the end of the twelve-week study, both groups lost weight but the difference in muscle vs. fat loss was striking. The aerobic group lost 37 pounds over the course of the study. The resistance-training group lost 32 pounds. A focus on weight loss would lead us to the conclusion that aerobic exercise is best. However, when looking at the type of weight lost it was shown that the aerobic group lost almost 10 pounds of muscle on average while the resistance training group lost fat exclusively and maintained their muscle mass. Most important, when the resting metabolic rate of the participants was calculated, the aerobic group was shown to be burning 210 fewer calories at rest per day!! In contrast, the resistance-training group actually increased their metabolism by 63 calories per day.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    . After 4 weeks, I am losing lots of inches but my weight is still not budging.

Thats what Strength Training is Doing for you! Inches off mean so much more then the number on the scale!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    HIIT seems to be doing amazing things for my weight loss. I've also recently added strength and weights over the last month too as I know this is also important. I think you need a healthy balance of the two x