What is your HRM?

Options
I'm looking into getting a HRM. After searching around topics, it seems this would be the best way to accurately see how many calories I'm burning during workouts. I have a few questions for those that use them:

1. What HRM do you use? Why?
2. Do all HRM's have a 'chest strap' transmitter? It the strap annoying to wear?
3. Does your HRM sync with your iPhone or MFP in some way?
5. How much did it cost?

Thank you!

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Scosche -- No chest strap it has a arm strap and that is not annoying. Syncs with iPhone through bluetooth.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H6126LL/A/scosche-mytrek-wireless-pulse-monitor
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    polar ft4. the chest strap is comfy but not the watch. so i wear it on my bra strap.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar FT7 I think it was! One of the best things I ever bought! Cost me about £60-£70 around a year ago. I heard it was one of the best.

It comes with a chest strap which I wear over my bra at the bottom, then wear my sports bra and clothes over the top. I don't even feel it's there. Then I wear a watch with it which stores all my info.

I worked out my BMR using it, and I always deduct 1 calorie per minute from my calories burnt. I leave it on until my heart rate gets below 90 as you're still burning after your workout as your HR is still up.

Go for it - they make such a big difference!
  • MandaKayMakesIt
    Options
    I got a pretty basic (but awesome!) Polar FT4. It's pink, which I love, and is MUCH more accurate than MFP in measuring calories. The only thing it doesn't do that I wish it did is track distance. But there are obviously other ways to measure that. I really just wanted a basic, reliable calorie counter and HRM to tell me when I'm working too hard/need to work harder. I paid about $60 for mine on Amazon (definitely check there for the best deals!)--included the watch, instructions, and the chest strap.
  • Boolie88
    Boolie88 Posts: 13
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4, I read a lot of reviews and it seemed very user friendly, and simple (which is what I wanted), and it has been great!
    It does have a chest strap, It isn't bad, usually when I first put it on it is a little annoying but once I start to work out I don't even notice it.
    It does not sync with an app or MFP that I know of. I just take the calories burned and put them into MFP and create an exercise.
    It cost about 60 on amazon.

I love, love, love my HRM! It gives you a much better idea of what you are burning, and keeps me on track during my workouts!
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into getting a HRM. After searching around topics, it seems this would be the best way to accurately see how many calories I'm burning during workouts. I have a few questions for those that use them:

2. Do all HRM's have a 'chest strap' transmitter? It the strap annoying to wear?
    5. How much did it cost?

Thank you!

I have an older Polar F11 HRM with a chest strap. Strap isn't generally annoying except when my weight got to the point that the strap was being stretched more than it should have -- no fault of the product. :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: Most of the time I don't notice it. It doesn't sync with either mfp or iphone ... I think it was about $150 when I bought it about 4 or so years ago. I'm guessing some of the newer tech might work with the iphone etc, but IDK. Also, if you are into running it might be fun to look into the Garmin models which could track the distance you run with GPS.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

Polar F6. I use it to measure time so I can calculate my pace and know how many calories I burned.

My F6 does have a chest strap and in high humidity on long runs (more and 2:45ish) it does char my back if I don't put enough Body Glide on. I didn't get enough slathered on today and I have a few places that are charred. :( Cool weather and short runs I don't even know I'm wearing it.

Nope. I don't sync it with a spreadsheet, smart phone, or MFP. I'm pretty sure it does have the ability. But I just put the information in MFP or on my calendar the old fashioned way.

5. How much did it cost?

I don't remember how much it cost. Couple hundred maybe. I got it in '09 and just today got a new battery for $7.49.

It was most definitely worth the cost and view it as part of my workout gear and would feel necked without it.
  • jzsor12
    jzsor12 Posts: 69
    Options
    1. What HRM do you use? Why? I use the polar ft4. I didn't know much about HRM but I wanted something that would count my calories burned and it was the cheapest.
    2. Do all HRM's have a 'chest strap' transmitter? It the strap annoying to wear? I think it's maybe more accurate with a chest strap, maybe those without are more expensive. No I can hardly feel it on me, I sometimes forget after a workout. It's great as long as it's adjusted to your liking
    3. Does your HRM sync with your iPhone or MFP in some way? I'm not exactly sure what you mean here, but after a workout I just go online and post it
    5. How much did it cost? I bought mine from Amazon for £50 plus £5 p+p
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance N4. I bought it on sale at Target. With tax it came to around $64. I didn't want to spend $100 on one. Yes it has a chest strap which is not annoying to wear. You get used to it after a few minutes as long as it's not binding your skin. No it does not sync to anything like MFP or a phone, but it does sync to most of the cardio machines at the gym.