Peach skin, eat it or don't?

Options
2»

Replies

• bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It gags me. I cut my peaches into chunks in a bowl then eat them one at a time and spit out the skin. o.0 lol I also scrub them under water fist. I can't get my husband OR father to wash fruit. Grrrrrrrrrr.
  • stagknight
    stagknight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I eat the skin on peaches if I wanted a non fuzzy peach fruit I would eat nectarines.
  • myfitnessisavirtue
    myfitnessisavirtue Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Hmm, now I want to eat a kiwi with the peel on it. How interesting! The peach fuzz never bothered me but MIL did say something about the fuzz.

Even my picky kids don't notice the fuzz. Actually I pointed it out and we had a taste test with peaches and nectarines one day.

I do wash all produce well but now I might start a thread on that.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I always eat the peach skins unless I'm putting them in a pie or something, and then skinless is preferable.
  • hannahamay
    hannahamay Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love peach skin! It's delicious but I hate the texture which is probably why a lot of people don't eat it. I knew someone who ate orange peels.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    :huh: but the skin is the best part
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I eat the skin! I eat the skin on almost everything actually... apples, sweet potatoes, cucumber. There's good fiber in the skin. Just be sure to scrub it first.

Ditto! There's lots of good stuff in the skins!

On peaches, however, I know a lot of people who don't care for the "fuzzy" skins (my dad always says "I don't eat things with hair on them" so I could understand peeling if they don't like the fuzz.

That's where the washing comes in. Washing a peach gets rid of that fuzzy texture, even after drying it.
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    there are certain cultures that think eating the skin of most fruits is wrong. but usually the skin of any fruit holds the most nutrients so if it's edible, i'm eating it.
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't mind peach skin.

Kiwi skin eh? I don't think I can get around that one.
  • dianniejt
    dianniejt Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I peel my peaches, I can't do the fuzz, even if they are washed. I usually eat nectarines instead but when the white flesh peaches are in season I have to buy a ton. LOVE THEM!!!
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    i love peach skins! mmm velvety! kiwis, though, i've never considered the skin. it's prickly. i have eaten mango skins, but they're chewy so generally i peel them.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    All fruits and vegetables-- If you can eat the inside, you can eat the outside. Some don't taste good. but they won't hurt you.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    I live in peach orchard heaven here in upstate South Carolina. Because i see how much they are sprayed to ensure that the peaches that make it to market are "pretty" I peel them. I am not a clean eating /organic only person, however since i see it being sprayed.... I just feel better.

Ymmv. Now that i am thinking about them i may go get me some peaches!

'Swhy I get peaches from a local place that doesn't spray :-D

I hope ya enjoy em! Considering the number and amount of pests, pathogens, fungus and diseases that love peaches as much as we do that is pretty difficult to do..
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    pickled watermelon rind is quite delicious.

i havent tried any other melon rinds though.

but yeah. eat the peach skin
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Ummm... I eat it???? You peeled a peach? That's like peeling a mango. Gooey! It's perfectly healthy to eat the skin. Think of it as extra fiber.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Not eating peach skin is just strange, this is a new concept for me and I think I have to take a few moments to adjust...

...I eat the skin, its delicious, also I don't wash my fruit because the pesticides give that little extra 'kick'.
  • TLBCannonball
    TLBCannonball Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It puts the lotion on the skin.

Seriously, though. I eat the skins on most everything.

Dead thread... REVIVED!