MFP Chili Cookoff!

Options
tanzmitpalmer
tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
Just curious as to how everyone here does chili! I generally just throw mine together without a thought, but since I actually sat down and calculated all the nutrition info, I figured I'd share my basic chili recipe with everyone. This is an extremely basic "sauce style" chili to use over spaghetti, baked potatoes, or baked home fries. It can very easily be jazzed up with peppers, mushrooms, and corn for a hearty main-dish.

Speedy Vegan TVP Chili (Mild):

1 tbsp olive oil
6oz yellow onion, chopped (1 medium onion)
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 cup Textured Vegetable Protein
15.5 oz red kidney beans (1 can)
12 oz tomato paste (2 small cans)
8 oz tomato sauce
2 oz premixed chili seasoning
0.5 tsp salt
3 cups water

Heat onions and garlic in olive oil on high heat, until sizzling. Reduce heat to low and cover for five minutes, allowing onions to sweat. Uncover, stir onions to loosen any that may be sticking to pot. Add rest of the ingredients. Mix well. Simmer (covered) on low heat for 45 minutes. Simmer longer for more tender beans. Serve over rice or spaghetti, or as a side dish for a larger meal.

Yields 6.5 cups (pot scraped)

Per Serving (1 cup):
Calories: 223
Fat: 4g
Sat. Fat: less than 1g
TransFat: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 848mg
Carbs: 32g
Fiber: 3g
Sugar: 11g
Protein: 16g

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm very basic with my chili as well: canned tomatoes, red kidney beans, chili powder to taste and a touch of brown sugar.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I've made all sorts of chili... with pork, ground beef, ground turkey, diced chicken (white chili) For red chilis I always have chili beans, black beans and pinto beans, its a must, green pepper, onion, jalepeno and garlic. Then typically 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can crushed tomatoes, and 1 (big) can of tomato/vegetable juice... chili powder, cayanne, cumin, and a touch of cinnamon. yes cinnamon, lol... we absolutely love it.

We're a bit of freaks when it comes to chili
  • spenikas
    spenikas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    my chili recipe is a little bit different...not as saucy, more hearty chunky chili.

vegetarian mango chili

1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    3 bell peppers any color, chopped
    1 medium white onion, chopped
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can red kidney beans
    1 can black beans
    1 can or frozen box yellow corn
    1 fresh mango, chopped, or you can get a bag of frozen mango if it is not in season - tastes just as good
    chopped jalapenos to taste

i also add cumin, cayenne, and chili powder, but don't really measure...just until it tastes good.

then just follow the same directions as tranzmitpalmer's starting with the oil, garlic, peppers, and onions on high. i like to serve it with some pepper-jack cheese on top too :smile:
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am soooo trying that mango jazz! :D
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    My favorite chili:
    Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
    http://www.eatmedelicious.com/2008/02/sweet-potato-and-black-bean-chili.html (I doctor it a little but I'll post the recipe I based it on, I use dried beans, fresh tomatoes, and either a habanero or ghost pepper sauce)

Serves 3-4 as a meal.

1 tbsp vegetable oil
    2 medium onions, chopped
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 cup vegetable broth
    2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1 28-oz (796mL) cans diced tomatoes
    2 19-oz (540mL) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp crumbled dried oregano

Heat the oil in a large saucepan* or Dutch oven. Add the onions and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the onions are soft - about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder and the cumin and cook for another minute or so. Add the vgetable broth and the cubed sweet potatoes, reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, until the potatoes are almost tender - about 10 minutes.

Add the tomatoes with all the juice from the can, the beans, salt, and oregano. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then let simmer until the potatoes are completely tender - about 20 minutes.

*Go for the Dutch oven if you can, unless your saucepan is really very large.
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    great ideas!

i'm gunna add mangos to my next chili.

thank you 4 sharing.:flowerforyou: