Your Food Rules?

Options
Does anybody have any kind of food rules that they stick to? Like I always eat a big breakfast, and lunch has to be veggie based.

Replies

• IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is a lower calorie meal for me with a fruit, lunch is medium calorie load with lots of veggies, I workout before supper and I leave the largest amount of calories for my supper and dessert!!

I also don't eat canned soup... I'm pretty sure it's because the amount of sodium in most of them is up the wall.

And I also made a rule to never ever pass up my favourite pizza when someone buys it, LOL... It's the best thin, crispy crust pizza in the world, it is too AMAZING to ever pass up. But it's also expensive, so my family rarely buys it! Which is probably a great thing ;)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i only eat stuff that tastes good.

i figure since i'm counting calories, i better make those calories count in terms of taste.

that's really the only rule i live by
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    1. I dont drink my calories (unless its a homemade healthy smoothie)
    2. No junk food in the house
    3. small breakfast because I save my calories for when I'm really hungry later in the day
    4. Must have daily chocolate (ok not a rule but my body needs it:wink: )
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I eat 300 calories 4 or 5 times a day. Each time I eat it's a different food group. By the end of the day. I've had them all.
    Yes taste good too otherwise, why bother.? Me too NEVER, drink calories except home made smoothies.
    If I feel like a junk food something, I have to go get it. It's not in my house. Usually I don't bother going.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I always eat breakfast, unless I am fasting.

I try to NOT eat foods with nitrates/nitrites in them.

I don't usually worry about fat, because most of the fat I take in is "good fat"

I don't worry about sugars, because most of the sugars I take in are naturally occurring

I prefer normal over "fat free" or "reduced fat" or "sugar free". The calorie savings aren't usually significant, and the taste is a whole lot better, plus it's not filled with crap I can't pronounce!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I try to at a hearty breakfast. I know from experience that if I don't have a good breakfast, I tend to snack more during the day. I also eat my veggies first when they are in a meal. It's not really a rule, more of a habit from growing up. I also try not to eat a hour or two before bed, limit drinks other than water to twice a week, and never turn down going out with family or friends (I need to learn to control myself and still have a life). And if I crave something, I get it to eat. If not, I'll end up eating more because I'm just not satisfied.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My main food rules are :

1) eat breakfast
    2) drink water before eating...and drink at least 6 cups a day...try for 9
    3) I must eat some form of veggies during the day.
    4) I can have whatever I want to eat but it must fit in my cals allotted for the day. If I want more or know we are going out/vacation etc, I make sure I go to the gym/do my videos to earn the cals to have them.
    5) Only allow diet soda once in a while, and I can have a real one occasionally but see Rule 4.
    6) Try to remember vitamins!!!!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    i only eat stuff that tastes good.

i figure since i'm counting calories, i better make those calories count in terms of taste.

that's really the only rule i live by

This one is a good one. I love your rule!
  • heatherjo27
    heatherjo27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am on a strict diet of no more than 10-15 tsp of sugar a day and 5 oz of protein per meal. It's working great; weight loss is steady and I'm excited each week to get on the scale.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I always try to fit at least some type of veggie or fruit into every meal, or even both if available. Rarely will my meals not have one or the other. (Snacks not included)
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    no wheat in any form.
    no pre-packaged food
    no processed meat/cheese etc.
    only drink water, coffee and tea
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    On a cut I don't drink calories and I hit my macros.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily have any rules but that's also why I'm on here in the first place.
    Although I'm still sort of new here...
    I still do eat (basically) everything I want. I just make sure I eat a bit smarter...Pizza with veggies instead of pepperoni.
    I did notice the sodium in soup...its no longer a go to meal.
    I used to be a strict vegetarian but I have included meat in the past few months. I still prefer a sliced up tomato over most junk food and a bag of steam fresh veggies gets me much more excited than french fries and chicken strips.
    I've never been a big water person but I can go through GALLONS of unsweetened iced tea so I know that works better for me.
    I'm TRYING to cut out processed foods. That's my next big lifestyle change.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I don't cut out anything.

I know it sounds cliche'd but everything in moderation...
  • aimee_1410
    Options
    My rules:

No condiments (dressing, butter, mayonnaise etc)

Never fry, always grill or bake.

Only brown or wholemeal bread, never white.

Slim milk, not full fat.

No fizzy drinks ever, unless diet coke and there's vodka in it ;-)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything that is poisonous.
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I try to log before I eat so I don't get any nasty surprises when I total up my calories. I always try to have breakfast - it's usually a struggle but I do feel better for eating it.
  • jtjunkie
    jtjunkie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Don't skip on the coffee because I love it and I don't want to ruin the one thing I look forward to every day and why eat a beef burger when a veggie burger tastes just as good for less than half the calories.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Never going above my calorie limit and not wasting calories on things I don't like. Which is why I barely eat vegetables because instead of having that cup of green beans I'd rather have a piece of sugary gum. :bigsmile:
  • rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    10 Commandments of Food

1. You can drink as much water as you want, without getting fat
    2. Eat smaller portions
    3. NO donuts. You'll finish the whole dozen within 5 minutes.
    4. NO brownies. See rule 3.
    5. When in doubt, drink more water. See rule 1
    6. A calorie is a calorie, so everything non-toxic is okay -- IN MODERATION
    7. No liquid calories. See rule 5
    8. If you've forgotten, look at rule 6 again
    9. There is absolutely no justification for eating 8 cups/servings of mac'n'cheese
    10. Think about the consequences of everything you eat, BEFORE you eat it.