Accuracy of the database

mswing7674
mswing7674 Posts: 44
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I end my day with anywhere from 300 to 400 extra calories but I have eaten well all day and am not hungry. Anyone have an opinion about the accuracy? I have found myself that if you put in the name brand things the calories seem more accurate.

Replies

• I wondered the same thing today. I don't feel like I'm dieting at all. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. The scale will tell.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    I think it's pretty accurate. Just make sure your honest about portion sizes. it could make a big difference.
  • NewBeginning2010
    NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
    I have found that a generic item at one store can have a different calorie count then the same product from another. Also there are items on here that were added by other users (which i think have a * by them) I dont know if some people just guess or what, but alot of times if its an item that was added by another user i look at the number of confirmations.
    When you look at info on the site on an item your adding, it will ask you when adding was this correct....if you have it in front of you or if your certain why not take a second and click yes....that is what helps me....hope this makes sense.

Also just one more though.When i weighed 50 pounds more i had more calories and it was harder to eat all of those because the more you weigh the more your body needs but at same times its a tad easier to lose. Now my weight and calories have gone down and i have a hard time not wanting to eat everything! :sad:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I always check the accuracy of things the first time I use them, as long as it is a user-input item. Many things are right, but there are some things with wrong nutrition as well. Plus, there are regional differences, (especially between the US and Canada, I think) and sometimes people can buy the same item that has differences in the nutrition, depending on where they buy it. When there are multiple entries for the same thing, usually some of them are wrong.

Some days I really don't feel like I'm dieting either, but I'm already 1/4 of the way to my goal - I've learned that it's amazing how much more you can eat when you're eating quality, nutritious foods!
  • Should you weigh your meat raw or cooked?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I weigh mine raw to be conservative - you'll lose a little water (or fat/grease) weight when you're cooking. Sometimes the packages (depending on how you buy your meat) will actually specify if it's raw or cooked for the serving size - I'll follow whatever the package says, if it specifies.
  • It's pretty darn accurate in my opinion. I'm following a nutrition book that has the meals planned out for 6 weeks and I end up right on the nose. Not so much today because I had a handful of m&m's and I'll be darned if it those little candies didn't put me over the limit by about 170 calories. Bottom line, I find it to be right on. Also, I entered a meal that I cooked from a Better Homes and Garden cookbook and the nutrition information was EXACT. I couldn't believe it. Best of luck to you =)
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    I find that I check most items, and I can always find one that matches pretty accurately to the product that I am using, and if I can't find one, then I create one by using the info off of the pack.
  • From my expeirence I think you have extra calories at the end of the day because you are filling up on fiber, and not grease. So you feel full without all the fat and calories. I have noticed the same thing with my diet.
This discussion has been closed.