Cooking salmon

Options
I love salmon. I recently bought a big piece of wild salmon at Whole Foods, cut an 8 oz piece, and sprayed my pan with cooking spray. Usually when i get salmon one side has the skin still on it. i always find it a pain to take off the skin when its raw, so i just cook the non skin side first, and then turn it over and do the skin side-when its done the skin sticks to the pan and i can lift the fish right out, with no skin. So thats what i did tonight, and as usual it was delish. I was putting the calories in my log when it hit me.

The skin!! The fatty, fatty skin :(. Eff, how did i not think of that? The skin has a ton of fat and oil in it, and my fish was cooking in that :( i dont know how many calories it would have added-maybe a couple hundred? From now on I'm going to cut the skin off before i cook it.

I'm just curious tho- does anyone else cook it with the skin on? Am i wrong to think my healthy fish is soaking up tons of oil from it?

Btw i know salmon has good fat, but i dont want EXTRA fat from the skin :/

Replies

• sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Nudge
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I cook it and eat it with the skin on. It's yummy and good for you. I don't know how many calories it would have added, but you should be able to find salmon with skin on in the MFP database.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I personally don't worry about it. I eat my salmon with skin on all the time because its healthy! And it tastes good :P

Really tho, I wouldn't worry about "it being soaked in the oil" its natural oil from the fish, and it is very very good for you. Could do a lot worse!!

And...<I like to eat the skin...shhhhhhh>
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    We grill salmon skin side down and don't flip it. Turns out perfect because the skin keeps it from falling apart on the grill. Yum!
  • Julietecosse
    Options
    I love salmon. I marinate it with lemon juice, salt, pepper and dill for at least 30 minutes. I then steam it in microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, I dont like eating the skin, but it slips off easily when cooked this way. Really delicious for salmon lovers.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I get frozen wild alaskan salmon fillets, they don't appear to have any skin which is pretty good.
  • glenn1barber
    Options
    I buy the frozen fillets(4oz) put a little fat free butter on it microwave for 4 minutes. These fillets are skinless I think
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What fat that's in the skin is full of Omega 3 fatty acids. Most of it gets rendered off in the cooking. No way it's a couple of hundred calories. I think you are overthinking this.
  • Ny_meria
    Ny_meria Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    At Whole Foods,the people at the counter will remove the skin for you, if you request. I do that every time.
    The same goes for chicken skin and they will remove that as well :)

Hope this helps!