Love running, enlighten me :)

Options
Howbouto
Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
I completed my 1st 5k on Thursday, I ran most of it but due to some hills I did walk some it (I have no hill training). I always hear people say, they hated running at first then fell in love with it. So I ask you, how long did it take to fall in love with running? What pushed you to go that far? I'm trying to decide if I should continue running. I sort of enjoy it. I hate it when it's humid or hot (like today) but love the way it's shaping my body and making me feel (after not during). I feel like if I want to continue running I should sign up for another 5 k.

Replies

• TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I started loving it after I started increasing my miles above 3. I really struggle (still) with the first couple miles of any run...once I get into a run (like above 4 miles) it is such a euphoric experience. Almost spiritual. The other thing that has made me stick with it is that it has had the most profound impact on my appearance. I notice the most changes when I am running regularly. I never plateaued when I was running consistently and increasing my mileage. It just was like the magic bullet for me...
  • Minnoke
    Minnoke Posts: 26
    Options
    I hated it for probably the first month I did it! Well, I loved how I felt AFTER going, but felt miserable during the runs.
    Now I usually run about 5 hours per week (although I cant lately because I'm sick), and once I've warmed with about 10 minutes of jogging I find the rest of the run exhilarating!
  • Minnoke
    Minnoke Posts: 26
    Options
    It's fantastic for weight loss isn't it? It's amazing what it does for your stomach muscles!
  • Howbouto
    Options
    Minnoke, That's the way I am, I'm kinda miserable during (especially in high humidity) but great after.
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I fell in love with it once I had some great earphones. It's quailty "me" time... I listen to music and just zone out.

Good shoes will help your running experience as well. Running form is really important for enjoyment and preventing injuries.

Once you find your "sweet spot" ...were you feel relaxed and like you can keep going...you'll love it.

Keep running.....get yourself some great shoes, and sign up for another race.

:)
    HUGS!!
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    I absolutely adore running...up until I got a pelvic stress fracture...which I'm currently recovering from(month3) I can't wait to get back to my passion...miss it so much...
  • Howbouto
    Options
    Thanks guys, time to find another 5k.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It took a while and I think there are a couple of things at play. Firstly I love the solitude and relaxation of a run along the river - it's one of the few times I have no kids, no dogs, no clients etc demanding my attention. The other aspect is that I love the feeling I get discovering what my body is capable of doing. A few years ago I was a highly accomplished couch potato (if it were an Olympic event I'm sure I would have brought home gold) and could barely run around the block.

I'll caution you right now - 5Ks are a gateway drug. After you run a few your brain will start to wonder if you can do a 10K, then a half-marathon etc, running is highly addictive (in a good way)!
  • jbug5j
    jbug5j Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I hated it for probably the first month I did it! Well, I loved how I felt AFTER going, but felt miserable during the runs.

this!!! lol
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I walked, a lot. It was great because I just got into an almost meditative state, I just seemed to be able to think and order my thoughts. Recently, I have been able to this while running. I don't have to concentrate that much running anymore and it is almost zen now. Running outside that is, running on a treadmill is evil and unnatural.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Like Brian said, running is highly addictive. Over 6 years ago, I signed up for a race on a whim with some friends. Wasn't prepared, didn't train, walked a lot but crossing that finish line was an awesome feeling. So I signed up for a few more races and worked on my running. It's been 6+ years and now I have a half on my horizon. As some one else said, the first mile or so is the hardest no matter how long you've been running, then you kind of ease into it. And it feels pretty amazing pushing your body just a little further than the run before. So don't give up. Keep at it and before you know it, you'll be itching to go for a run.
  • Clutchn
    Clutchn Posts: 2
    Options
    I use Nike+ and I have music playing while I run, and that is one of the best things to help your mind stay off the pain while you run. I love the feeling of post running as well becuase you never get that feeling doing anything else. Get another 5k and you wont regret it ! I have 4 5k's coming up in the next 2 months and I am excited for all of them. GL in your races.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Make a great playlist to listen to, running without tunes is way harder (for me at least). Check out www.jog.fm for suggestions of songs at your current average pace to keep you on track (or boost you a bit).

If you have a smartphone use Nike+ to track your runs. It's nice seeing your progress, beating a personal record, or getting cheers from friends as you run.

Think about how great you feel, physically and mentally, when you finish a run.
  • joanne51971
    Options
    i love running :bigsmile: im addicted i love the way it makes me feel!! keep at it and you will get addicted too!! :flowerforyou:
  • Howbouto
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I think I will find another nice flat 5 k to sign up for (with flat being imperative.) LOL
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    I'm relatively new to running (starting last October/November.) I started with C25k and I enjoyed the accomplishment of each new session and each new goal I hit, but I did not enjoy the running itself.

I started almost immediately with the Bridge to 10k program. It didn't click at all. So I took some time out, as I called it, to just run three times a week, varying the distances. Sometimes 4k, sometimes 5k and sometimes 6k, based on times and rough calculations only, because I hadn't got my Garmin at this stage. I stopped listening to music and/or the phone apps and just ran. This worked for me. Little to no pressure, but the thrill of finishing each and every run.

I occasionally looked up on Google maps where I'd gone and did some time/speed calculations to check where my speed was at, but it was all very casual. Fast forward six months and I knew I was addicted to running, I enjoyed it and sometimes it even felt good. Even if it didn't feel good, I had seemed to develop an inner stubbornness that ensured that a certain amount of will kicked in and I could overcome mental blocks.

I decided to get a Garmin watch which has helped me immensely in my training. I am also one who feels better about 2 - 3 miles into a run. There are days (especially after work) where I feel that I could simply not be bothered... but I have a rule that I must go for my run (unless there is a sufficient physical reason for me to take it easy, I do think it's important to listen to your body) and if I still don't feel like it after 20 minutes, I will wholeheartedly give myself permission to stop...

Suffice to say that this has never, ever eventuated. By the time the 20 minute mark has come around I am all warmed up and focused on some goal or other and I wouldn't dream of stopping.

Today I finished my first race ever - an 8km. My physical preparation was something I was really proud of, truly. But I had a huge mental block at the start of the race. I was so nervous that my breathing went all funny and I actually walked for about 20 seconds. I swear it was sheer panic for about 10 of them and then bewilderment until I snapped out of it and got moving. That was a complete curveball for me... talk about character building lol. Still, it was a respectable time and I learned a lot about running and about myself today. About an hour after the race, I was hungry to get back out and race again and beat that time. It was great fun!

You've got to find out what works for you. For me it was a good six months of just running without a specific program and just learning to run and think at the same time, kind of clear my head.

For some people music works or a specific program. Goal setting. Changing running routes. It's about discovering what works for you. Just experiment and give it time. Good luck!
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm still really new to running only a few months into it, I'm still not LOVING it during the run but I love the feeling afterwards and its boosting my weight loss hopefully as time goes on I can run longer distances and pick up the pace a bit I'm still quite a slow runner.
  • RancidPolecat2
    Options
    I used to hate running, but I had to run 4 miles (in 36 minutes) for a physical test, so I created a schedule to make sure I was making progress. I ended up refactoring my own training plan because I was always exceeding my own goals. It turns out that when you get better at something, you tend to like it more. I've now participated in several organized races (including three half marathons).

Signing up for races is a great training motivator. Keep it up.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I tell myself and others I love running, but the first mile is almost always a chore. It's more how I feel after, and how lousy I feel when I don't run, that makes me love it so much.

And, in my opinion, the summer is the worst. Fall, winter and spring are so much more enjoyable. Unless it's raining. Running in the rain in summer is wonderful! :heart:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've always liked it... but yeah, once I got to 3 miles. I think that's about when you start to properly experience the high.

And as Lorina says, the hardest bit is the first mile, and I often don't feel like going out, but once I'm out there, I'm a happy bunny.