Started new job need food Ideas

Options
So I finally got a job. Problem is that it is in a Wal Mart Super Center. McDonalds is right next to the break room. Though I work in a department that is the middle of NO WHERE in the store I have to hike to get to the bathrooms I'm getting a lot of walking done. But I am eating fast food that I know isn't what i need. So I need help I have fallen back into my old ways again and need help getting out of them again. Any advice, thoughts, or even price checks are welcome.

Replies

• epappas09
    epappas09 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Planning your meals ahead is the best way to ensure that you will not slip up. My suggestions are that if you cannot buy anything healthy, brown bag your lunch. Make yourself peanutbutter and jelly or banana sandwich, and throw in an apple or something. Even pack a salad if there is a fridge in the back.

McDonalds is bad, brown bags are good!

also, dont keep money on hand while at work, keep it in the back or something so that when you pass the McDonalds you wont have money for it!
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I agree with the brown-bagging it. But if you find buying the fast food is easier - at least try to make wiser choices on the menu. A 4-piece Kid's Meal with Apple Dippers and lowfat milk is better than a Big Mac with large fries and a soda...
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Pick up a small Coleman cooler from Sporting Goods and pack your lunch. I always log what I pack before I even go to work so I feel more obligated to eat it, and am less tempted by vending machines and fast food.

Good luck!! :smile:
  • ClarkOMan
    ClarkOMan Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Does your SuperCenter have a produce department. Wow, you can eat the freshest produce everyday. It's also cheaper than McDonald's. Save money Live better :happy:
  • Irish24
    Options
    Yeah we do have a produce department. The thing is that the McDonalds is near the time clocks and I only get 30 minutes to eat and spend some time outside away from all the people and noise. I guess that my biggest problem is that I have always thought of fruit and veggies as my junk food. I would rather have those as a snack than anything else and with the amount of running around I do a day (in one 9 hour day I walked over 8.5 miles in the store) I need something that will fill me up and give me energy. Salads and PB and J's have never done that for me. But I have been drinking water more often and only having one 12oz. Dr.Pepper instead two or three 20oz ones a day I have even been making healthier meals at home but trying to eat right when I cook dinner for someone who doesn't like veggies is hard to do. I do know one thing I was able to fit into and wear a pair of pants that I have always considered "Skinny Girl" jeans. So go me! I'm going to do some math and figure up all the calories that I can eat while I am literally running my butt off.
  • Irish24
    Irish24 Posts: 21
    Options
    added note those "skinny girl" jeans are now a little to big and keep falling down even with a belt. :wink:
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    yay on the new job... i also got a new job and start tomorrow... so what i did was brown bagged it... and i understand the soda thing... im an avid soda drinker and me working security (which is super boring) soda is the only thing that seems to keep me awake... so most of the time i take the sleepiness as hungry... but i drink low cal powerade or something to that nature and that perks me right up... .for lunch.go to the produce department and get a salad kit... or get a soup...

the thing that helps me stay away from mcdonalds and fast food all together is i look at the people that are eating at the restaurant... every time i go there i see 75 percent of the people there are overweight... and when they eat they make it look so disgusting... is 5 minutes of food worth eating more than 600 calories just on the burger?
  • jessirvine
    Options
    Hi,

I've found that if i pack my lunch i'm always willing to eat it, otherwise it's a waste. My best trick is cooking double the night before and taking a yummy filling lunch into work. I also find that drinking lots of water keeps me fuller for longer, especailly just after eating.

I also find that buying new containers for lunch also make me want to use them!

good luck!
  • jacigettingfit
    Options
    I've had this problem too--I have worked in really nice restaurant for the past few years, and it's so hard not to eat everything in sight there. I am a big fan of bringing Odwalla nutrition bars. They're delicious and filling, and are as healthy (if not moreso) than "diet" bars like Slim-fast or whatever. Plus, since they're not diet bars, exactly, I don't feel as conspicuous eating them, like I have a big sign on me that says, "Hey, I"m watching my weight, folks!" If I eat one of those and a piece of fruit in the middle of my shift, I'm fine for the rest of the night.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I have to go with the idea of a cooler. Make extra of your healthy dinner and take it for lunch the next day. I like to make a big batch of chicken chili and freeze it in individual containers. Just grab one and it has defrosted by lunch.... a quick time in the microwave and you have a hot tasty lunch
  • ChefJeremyC
    Options
    You work in a walmart super center? dont they have a grocery? I know the ones around me do. and they have healthy choice meals as well as salads and smart one meals your break room should have a microwave.and if all else fails pack a nutrious luch to go.I have alot of great lunch recipes if intrested.