Muscle Cramps!!!

Options
Muscle Cramping!! Grrr I am trying to workout here!!! Jillian Michaels 30DS. Day 1! I am having really bad muscle cramps in my arms for some reason during the push ups and squat w/lifts I had to stop!! Like my right arm just locked up. Yesterday it was my legs.<---I did 10 mins. to get the feel of it. Not enough water? How can I stop it? Also, do you think it is strange that I have to wear to different shoes(makes) to work out?

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Muscle pain is extremely common when you're starting a new type of workout. Not sure if cramps 'during' the workout fall into that category, but afterward, ow. You should adapt to it within a few weeks at the most, though.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Drink water, and eat bannanas.... i've experienced this before... also make sure to get the best stretch that u can
  • brendddda
    Options
    Eat a banana (for potassium) and drink water. Make sure you not only stretch before your workouts, but also after to help remove lactic acid from your muscles.
  • 92_sweetheart
    92_sweetheart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Muscle pain is extremely common when you're starting a new type of workout. Not sure if cramps 'during' the workout fall into that category, but afterward, ow. You should adapt to it within a few weeks at the most, though.

I was perfectly fine yesterday besides the leg cramps. The push-ups are first about 10. Then leg squats/with arm lift about 15. When I went down to do my second set of push-ups my arms cramped up. Not sure if the weights are a little too much for me starting out. Maybe I should wait until day 5 to add the weights in. They are only 3lbs though. I have 2lbs sculpting balls maybe I should use them starting out.
  • brjustice2000
    Options
    If you are not used to exercising, and start a hardcore program (not sure if the 30 DS is a hardcore workout) you can hurt yourself trying to do too much in the beginning. Muscle soreness should come after working out not during the workout. I did split squats yesterday with adding 10 lbs to the previous weight, and today I am a little sore but not like you described. The first time I did split squats, I didn't hurt until the next day and it really hurt.

Maybe, you need to build up your ability before tackling 30DS. I tried Turbo Fire and realized I wasted my money because I could even do it for one minute. Now I might last through a session of it.

Good luck.
  • brjustice2000
    Options
    I meant to type hat I could not even do it for one minute. Sorry for any confusion.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Magnesium really helps too (in addition to the potassium suggestions). Try googling magnesium-rich foods. Or try soaking in epsom salts; you can absorb some of the magnesium in them through your skin and it helps a lot to relieve the cramping. There is also a 'magnesium oil' that you can spray on directly. I buy it on amazon for about $14. *side note* I occasionally get heart palpitations, especially when laying down (i've had this checked out by my doctor and he cannot find any underlying cause) and have found that applying an epsom salt soaked rag or the magnesium spray directly over my heart relieves them in just a few minutes.
  • 92_sweetheart
    Options
    Will protein shakes help with the muscle cramps? I know for sure when my body doesn't have enough carbohydrates and electrolytes I experience muscle spasms and they go hand in hand. Like severe ones. I was diagnosed with them. My doctor told me to drink Gatorade which I do. I haven't had one in like a week though and usually I drink 2 a day.
  • 92_sweetheart
    Options
    Magnesium really helps too (in addition to the potassium suggestions). Try googling magnesium-rich foods. Or try soaking in epsom salts; you can absorb some of the magnesium in them through your skin and it helps a lot to relieve the cramping. There is also a 'magnesium oil' that you can spray on directly. I buy it on amazon for about $14. *side note* I occasionally get heart palpitations, especially when laying down (i've had this checked out by my doctor and he cannot find any underlying cause) and have found that applying an epsom salt soaked rag or the magnesium spray directly over my heart relieves them in just a few minutes.

I get heart palpitations too, me and my twin sister. Hers is more severe since she has a slight her murmur.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You can drink Coconut water (no sugar added) it has natural electrolytes or as others suggested potassium or more water.:drinker:
  • 92_sweetheart
    Options
    If you are not used to exercising, and start a hardcore program (not sure if the 30 DS is a hardcore workout) you can hurt yourself trying to do too much in the beginning. Muscle soreness should come after working out not during the workout. I did split squats yesterday with adding 10 lbs to the previous weight, and today I am a little sore but not like you described. The first time I did split squats, I didn't hurt until the next day and it really hurt.

Maybe, you need to build up your ability before tackling 30DS. I tried Turbo Fire and realized I wasted my money because I could even do it for one minute. Now I might last through a session of it.

Good luck.

Too be honest, I don't find it that difficult(not just saying that either) even at my fitness level. That might change once I start level 2. I started doing the Firm Cardio Explosion and that was difficult. I know for sure I can finish the workout! It is not soreness it is actually cramping. I will ask my doctor about it.
  • 92_sweetheart
    Options
    My form might not be correct. I will give it another go. I know for sure I can finish it. I am going to! I am going to get a drink and have a banana. Thanks for the answers and help!!!
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Now I know why football players fall down in excruciating pain when they get a cramp in their hammie or somewhere. WOW is this painful. I used to get them in the middle of the night in the arch of my foot. Then I started getting them in my calves when I would do a good stretch laying in bed. Now after doing some Jillian videos it's my glut muscle that tends to cramp up. Sometimes while doing squats and sometimes when I do a good morning stretch.

It hurts like hell, I try to massage it out and move on. And rest that area for a day.

Tough to massage the glut in public though!