Hello all 50+

Options
Well here we go again, I am one that has struggled with weight my entire life. I loose weight very easily which is great, but then I gain weight just as fast. I have tried it all and been very successful with many. But maintainance has always avoided me as well as getting to the final goal!

My problem...I thought I was always above food diarys. I was great on the diets but once I swayed off I swayed till I could not eat anymore. How long did it last... till the day after the next occassion with food.

Well I just started again and this is day 6, MFP makes it so easy to use the diary and now I know if I have a cheat here and there just log it and keep total calories under control!

Anyone in the same boat?

Replies

• emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I also have struggled all my life up and down for me I have finally found the key to my success @ 56 is diet and exercise. I always knew how to 'diet' but going to a gym is what has finally helped me to take 30 lbs off. It is a struggle but accounting for your food every day is a huge help..good luck
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    YEP! But this site is really going to help me maintain. I have been here almost a year. It is second nature to log my food. On my profile I have "I am a yo-yoer". I have lost 48lbs some of it before I found this site.I have been in mantaining for a couple months. I am determined to keep it off this time. I am almost 56 and have finally figured out tracking food and doing some extra walking works for me. In the winter I use my Wii too.
  • Foofieplus3
    Foofieplus3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You could have been telling my story. I lose rather easily, but get distracted by the circumstances of life, fall off my diet and gain it all back. This site is different. Even if I fall off, its easy to regain your discipline before it gets out of hand. I would love to support you through your journey. Add me as a friend if you like.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    50 here...needing to still lose 130 pounds but on the path to get things done...
  • heidi1955
    heidi1955 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You wrote my story also!!!! Down 25 and a LONG way to go but already feeling the benifits!!!!
    Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • kgpgetfit2012
    Options
    I joined MFP in June when the doctor that is helping me to lose weight told me about it. I really like that it is so easy to use. I also bought a Fitbit. My problem is that my husband likes to eat out 2-3 times a week! I know that alot of eating places have special dishes for people watching their calorie counts, but after awhile, it feels like you are eating the same thing all of the time. He says that he wants to lose weight too, but he does not count calories, he just eats alot of the same stuff that I do and then some. Last night he wanted to eat at Golden Corral. People that are trying to lose weight should NOT eat at all-you-can- eat places! How do stick to my calories and eat out all of the time? :(
  • sonshinelady
    sonshinelady Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My story is similar, although perhaps not easy to take weight off...but once I stick my mind to it...I have been successful. BUt always...9 times as an adult to gain it all back plus more each time. I too realize taht for me a Maintenance plan needs to be put and KEPT in hand and that has never happened for me. I m 53 years old and on my at least 10th diet of my lifetime as an adult. My weight when I started this journey was 36 pounds more than what I weighed when I was 9 months pregnant for either of my boys. When younger, folks would ask me when I was due.

BUT this time I have a PLAN. I don't know exactly what it entails yet, but I belong to a weight-loss group outside of MFP. It's VERY affordable and it's called TOPS (Take off pounds Sensibly) ....something very affordable for me and I EARN money by losing weight and winning contests. But I not only joined for the 'accountability' but because when you/one reaches their goal, (and you CHOOSE what that is, they don't) then they give you a leeway of 4 pounds on each side of that weight and you become a KOPS (KEEP off pounds sensibly) learning HOW to keep the pounds off. In order to MAINTAIN your KOPS Position,( by the way once you've become a KOPS by reaching your goal then the monthly dues are FREE!...so this too is a perk to become a KOPS) ...and it forces you/one to find a maintenance program in order to stay in your leeway/weight. I look forward to the lessons I will learn during that time...hopefully a WAY OF LIFE.

Does all of this make sense? Feel free to contact me via email/MFP if you want to talk.

Lynn
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Keeping track of food is a great way to lose. I've also tried about everything except surgery or prescription pills. I started with Metrical in high school and lost 25 pounds. Then I tried a dietician and lost 75 pounds along with going lacto vegetarian, then I tried Atkins and lost 40 pounds. Yes vegetarian and Atkins. That was a 180 degree switch. The Atkins was okay til I started buying all their candy and stuff. What a joke. I've been on here for almost a year and as of yesterday I've lost 101. For the first time I see daylight at the end of the tunnel and even after gaining 10 pounds while traveling recently and now having lost it I feel anything is possible. If there's anything I can do or suggest let me know. I'm glad to help. I'm 65 and going strong.
  • oofda33
    oofda33 Posts: 10
    Options
    57 here. The trick is to get in a routine and track you eating habits. Of course any exercise you can squeeze in will help as well.

Please feel free to invite me as a friend.