Has your diet become customized?

Options
Its getting difficult to "brand" my diet under any one program :-) ...hard to explain. I evolved and morphed my diet as I learned what works for me.

This is what I'm talking about...
- Eat kind of like South Beach phase 2 most of time... really phase 1.5 :-) No bread, pasta, potato, rice, and sweets...avoid simple carbs and high glycemic load foods
- avoid red meat (AHA preference for cardiac patients...me) ... sometimes I stumble into situations where I allow it to avoid questions... Steakhouse, BBQ...
- Latest change...eat on the odd hours... 9, 11, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11. So Breakfast is at 9 (300 cal) Lunch is at 1 (400 cal) and dinner is at 7 (500 cal). Everything in between is about 100 cal. liking this. no hunger, overeating...

Usually once a day
-- Eat....Greek yogurt, grilled skinless chicken and/or turkey, scrambled eggs, Canadian bacon, grilled tomatoes, huge salad, red beans (fiber), 1 oz low fat cheese, nuts (30 Pistachios, or 15 almonds)
-- Walk a 4 mile loop for breakfast and decaf coffee. This is just a mindless routine now... rain/snow or shine.

A few times per week
-- I eat fish, fruit, melon, cabbage, sauteed spinach, and other healthy foods...maybe skip meat altogether
-- I ride my bike aggressively for 20 miles or so (about 1:20 hours:min) This is fun for me.

I'm losing weight steadily... without any real hardships.

Replies

• WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    For me in the past, I found Atkins worked really well, and I did have a few cheats with that...popcorn, garlic bread and Coke were my cheats, but followed it to a tee otherwise. The only problem I found was sustaining it long term.
    Right now, I find myself going back to it somewhat, this time though, I'm looking at putting in more low cal carbs and not restricting veggies. It seems to be more Asian themed this time around.
    I'm also a huge fan of soups, so I've been playing with more recipes since soup can be a nice pre-meal filler if it's more broth based or a substantial meal on it's own if it's loaded.
    I'm trying to branch out a bit more as well and make a point of trying new things.
    If I can prevent the ruts I get into regarding variety and choice, I feel like I can prevent the loss of motivation and feeling of routine that tends to hit after a couple of months that usually leads to failure.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    yep, i changed my macros to suit my needs.
    60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carbs.

once at goal weight it will be more like 40% fat, 35% protein, 25% carbs. maybe. i don't know yet.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I got some information from the doctor about modified diabetic diets, and I mostly follow that.

I do allow myself more starchy vegetables then she recommended. I eat them plain, so I don't feel that bad about it.

And if I have broccoli, I have cheese sauce. I log it all. Even though she said to eat it plain, I enjoy it this way, and it makes me want to eat more veggies. So it'll have to be okay!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely. I use dynamic statistical analysis to determine the most favorable macronutrient profile for me. When I began, it was 10% carbohydrates, 30% protein, and 60% fat. Eight months and 100 lbs. later, it's now 40% carbohydrates, 28% protein, and 32% fat.
  • priv8life
    priv8life Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    WickedPixie... ahhh, soups. Yes, I'll get back into those too when colder weather comes back here to WI.
  • priv8life
    priv8life Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Kmm7309, my doc took me off low fat AHA diet even though I lost some weight and gave me the South Beach diet book after my blood chem showed too much sugar and bad lipid ratios. That was earlier this year. Now I watch carbs/sugars, and bad fats and count calories and eat frequently.... Sounds bad to tell others (like extended family) but really not hard to eat this way. Maybe I should call this the Mutt diet. lol