New to weight loss/confused!

Options
I am 5'2 and I weigh 170.4. I am 34 years old and I am kind of active I work in a child care center so I am on my feet. I also have started Power 90. I am seeing that I need 1200 calories net. I really don't know what that means! I am thinking that it means I can not go over 1200 calories other than what I exercise off. The problem is I am ALWAYS hungry. Which causes me to eat even more!! For example I had 5 eggos and two big bowls of cereal, I did use sugar free syrup lol lol. What can I do to keep from being hungry all of the time? I am lucky if I can make it two hours, otherwise I am hungry after one hour. Any suggestions?

Replies

• twonkieone
    twonkieone Posts: 132
    Options
    Hey!! You're post caught my attention because if I ate that I would be STARVING in an hour!! For me - I would take that down to 1 serving of waffle or bowl of cereal and add in protein - eggs, cheese, sausage and some fruit. I eat waffle sandwiches w/ pb and banana on them. I am hypoglycemic and that causes me to plow through breads but then totally crash and be hungry again. I found that if I eat mostly protein/grains for breakfast and limit the sugar/breads that convert to sugar then I am not hungry until lunch (or even later). Are you eating anything else or just the bread-type food?
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM and log the calories you burn excercising and you can eat the too. 1200 calories is too low.
  • K_Hilscher
    Options
    Try adding in some fiber and lean protein, for example eggs and a high fiber cereal like all bran. this will help fill you up and keep you going longer. Also try to have healthy snacks available like fruit and veggies so you can munch on something before getting too hungry and then over eating.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Net means what you are consuming total, minus your exercise calories. You can chose to eat them back, but you don't have to which would cause you to net less.

That is a lot of food- those waffles and cereal. You could eat a way larger volume of food if you went a less processed route of fresh fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins.
  • kristakh1
    Options
    That's way too many carbs! Start filling up on Protein & Veggies.
  • sylmcguigan
    sylmcguigan Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You'll get better information than what I'll give you but what I understand is that you need at least 1200 calories to simply have your body function (pump blood, breathe, etc.). If you were to eat 1200 calories and then work off 300, you should still eat those calories back to make sure your body won't start shutting down.
    Don't drink your calories (water, tea, skim milk only), don't eat empty calories (non-nutritional food) and try and eat more protein and fiber as they will fill you up longer. Eating a bowl of oatmeal with some berries and a little real maple syrup will keep you more full than a couple of eggos as they are simply white flour, chemicals and a bunch of other stuff your body doesn't actually want.
    It's hard to sort out the diet, but take it slowly and you'll be able to find things you can eat to get to your calorie goal and make you feel more full for longer.
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options
    Calories eaten- calories burned= net calories.

If you are always hungry, then you should eat more. Try more fruits and veggies, you can eat more volume of them without spending too many of your calories.

Again I say. If you are hungry EAT. Just make good choices. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Good luck.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE FOOD. Up your cals.
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Eggos and cereal? No wonder you are starving!

I make my own whole wheat waffles and I add protein powder. I also use real maple syrup, but just a tablespoon.

Seriously, cut WAY down on the fake food and you'll feel much fuller.
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    We're the same height and I started my journey at 175.6lbs. I'm at 167lbs now, and have a goal of 125lbs.
    I'm going to request you if that's okay!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You sound active, so you should probably be eating more. If you need to eat every hour or two, choose smart snacks with a carb and protein like peanut butter on apple slices or string cheese and cucumber slices. Make smart decisions and you can eat MORE than when you eat empty calories of processed food.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    1200 net is too low for most people. check out my youtube video on this topic http://www.youtube.com/jaymebales83 it's called eat more to weigh less

then hit up http://www.fat2fitradio.com and do the bmr calculator. there will be a chart that tell you what your cals should be
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    1200 is not too low for me (5'1, 125 lbs), but if I ate 5 eggo waffles for breakfast, I'd be hungry in 20 minutes. I usually have a boiled egg or 2 links of turkey sausage, a half serving of a high fiber cereal, some yogurt and a fruit. I usually shoot for three meals of 300 calories and 3 snacks of 100 calories each. Lots of veggies, fruit, whole grain, lean meat, dairy. I can get a pretty high volume of food. But if the OP is still starving after changing around her food selection, she should up her calories a bit. Always pay attention to how you feel. I have tons of energy and know that I am eating above my BMR.
  • barnybyrd
    barnybyrd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have a bowl of oatmeal with turkey sausage crumbled up in it. Stays with me for hours. I use 1/4 cup sugar free syrup to sweeten the oatmeal, 1 tablespoon shedds spread and 2 patties of Old Folks turkey sausage . It will keep you feeling full. It's only 350 cal.
  • Lbishop1213
    Options
    LOL the eggos and cereal was after I had one bowl of raisin bran, then I had yogurt with a scoop of protein powder, than two hours later I had one fish filet (non breaded) and a can of green beans. I was starving!! Then I opened the freezer and saw my girls Eggos! I was only going to have two, and then I was still famished so....I had three more lol lol lol. Yesterday I did really well minus the hotdog at the water park, but I burned that off really quick in the water. I did notice that yesterday I had half a cup of oatmeal for breakfast with a scoop of whey protein (really gross) but I wasn't as hungry. I am thinking that I will stick to the oatmeal. One other question. It says that I can add the powder to the oatmeal but it tastes nasty! Can I eat the oatmeal and drink the protein mix at the same sitting?
  • Lbishop1213
    Options
    That said that my calories should be 1928! Is that before or after my exercise? I am sorry that I sound like an idiot. This is all so new to me!
  • Iain_65
    Iain_65 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have recently switched to having a a fresh Fruit & Vegetable juice with a scoop of chia seeds for breakfast most days. I find that I am not hungry for hours. (which is a big change for me 8-) )
  • Lbishop1213
    Options
    This is really going to contradict my previous posts about the eggos and cereal but because I am pre-diabetic I can't have fruit in the morning! Luckily I had the carbs towards the end of my day because I would have been sick if I would have cheated earlier! I miss fruits in the morning though, I used to love fruits with my oatmeal or bagel.
  • win1jay2
    Options
    You need to eat more filling foods such as veggies nd fruits it worked for me and also I hear that nuts curve appetites ,but be areful not to eat to many they are high in calories.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    That said that my calories should be 1928! Is that before or after my exercise? I am sorry that I sound like an idiot. This is all so new to me!

If you are using the fat2fitradio numbers, then you want to take 500 calories off of that as a deficit for weight loss. So you would eat 1428 calories as your base, then any of your exercise calories. That means that if you do a 500 calorie workout, you can eat the 1928 calories!