Sugar Sugar Sugar!

Options
Okay, I have not been able to find any posts, recent or archived, that talk about the process of sugar, except for alcoholics and diabetics. I want to know something.
I am 5'8", 215ish, with a volleyball in my belly. My arms and lower legs are not very chubby, but my thighs are. I know that guys tend to store "fat" in their gut the most.
My question is, what do sugars do, and what does your body do with sugar? There was a day where I worked out a whole bunch, and dropped over 1000 calories, but overate my sugar content by about 35 grams. It is in my food journal, and that is open to everyone if you want to take a look. It caused me to actually gain a couple pounds. I do not know the science behind it. I think my body is very sensitive to sugar intake. I am eating a medium, low carb, low/no sugar breakfast (mostly eggs, oatmeal, and healthier bacon). I am eating white meats at dinner, and healthily feast up to about 800-1000 calories. I do like some fruit juice, like V8 Fusion and Healthy Balance, and that is where most of the sugar intake comes from lately.

So how does it work? How does sugar pack on the pounds so easy? When I was smoking, this was not a problem. I would eat anything in sight, and wouldn't gain a pound. My body is so sensitive now, and I am just trying to give it some direction.

when I work out, I burn an average of 1000 calories per day, most days over that. on the bicycle. I also eat a PR Bar for lunch, and one more on the ride. 200 Cal, 15 G protein, 17 G sugar, 7g Fat, and 21g carbs.

Replies

• Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I only eat 25g of Sugar a day.Total(including fruit).My weight just started falling off after i cut Sugar out/down.This is just me.I never eat any Bars(protein etc.)I never eat anything that has doublr sugar #'s ex. 10,11,14g.:happy:
  • icesk8ermom
    icesk8ermom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump...... Would like to hear more.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I think that your calorie intake may be a little high for weight loss. It may help you bulk up and build muscle, but not so sure it will make you lose weight. I would try to get your net down to about 2000. Try to do it gradually if it makes you too hungry to get there at first. Also, try to eat more evenly distributed meals. It pisses off your body to have 1000 calories in one sitting. That's alot to metabolize at once.

Your juices seem to be diet juices so I don't think you're getting so much from them you need to stop, but I never drink juices myself. I eat fruit, which contains fiber.

You cannot contain 2 pounds (7000 calories) from having a little sugar the day before, even it is was a twinkie. It takes time to do that. Weight fluctuates for everyone and you just have to expect updates. Two up days in a row is a sign your intake (or sodium intake) is too high.

Ruth
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    To answer your question about what sugar does in the body-

Glucose is the type of sugar that provides energy to all the cells in the body. So, during digestion, the sugar in foods is broken down and converted into glucose. The glucose goes into the bloodstream and gets circulated throughout the body. Some of the glucose is used right away by cells in the body for quick energy. The rest is converted to glycogen and stored in the liver and muscles, which the body uses as needed. Excess glucose is converted to fat and stored in adipose tissue.
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    So it is not okay to "save" the calories for dinnertime? I just have dinner a little more moderate, like one less piece of chicken, one less potato? I see that.
    I have been lax on the sodium (had a bacon binge this morning, whoops!). Does that play a factor as well?
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    All i know is that when i cut out sugar (think the first 2 weeks of atkins) that it was worse than quiting smoking! Knowing my body was that addicted to sugar was enough to make me keep it in check.

While i dont personally recommend the atkins diet long term, the book was really an eye opener as to the major effects sugar can have on your body and actually doing the first two weeks of the plan taught me alot about how my body works and what i need to fuel it. Also going through sugar withdrawl, as i said before was worse than stopping smoking after 15 years! nuf said! no?

Now the sugar i eat is in fruit and veg, and the well earned wine or the occasional treat.

For your second question, sodium is indeed huge, if i have a high sodium day the scale coulld jump 3 lbs overnight! Drink lots of water and watch both the sugar and sodium. As a general rule you should make sure you are drinking more water than anything else, this will help you flush out all the junk and stay hydrated.

Good luck to you on this journey :)
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    Thank you for the imput, guys. I will work on drinking more water, and will stay away from sugary juices. I had no idea that sodium plays a major part in weight loss. I did spike in sodium a few times. I will lay off the bacon.
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    P.S.---- is it okay to add Splenda to things, such as coffee and oatmeal?