Too young to feel this old

Options
Hello all. I am determined to stop old family habits. One: getting pregnant by age 19. Well I won't have any problem avoiding that. Of course as I am almost 80 lbs. overweight. Two: being obese for your entire adult life. I was small once, then I discovered how to feed my face. Now almost 5 years ago I was only a size 8 in womens. Now I am wearing anywhere from a size 18 stretch to a size 24 womens. I am only 18 and weigh 240 lbs. I stand at 5' 7". The more I go through my clothes from this summer the more I just want to curl up in a ball and say it will be ok. I know that this is not true so I have turned to all of you for support and help. I thank you all for it in advance. I am so heavy that I have breathing, back, and hip problems. I am scared to ask a doctor for help and advice. To add my prom is just around the corner and the gown I purchased barely fits. The gown my mom thought would be a sweet gift for me yesterday looks like spandex stretched see through across me that I am supposed to wear to her vow renewal this summer : ( I will post a pic of me in my prom gown later so you can understand why I have to learn differently. Once again, Thank You.

Replies

• deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hi Princess. Hey, what's up with the "too young to feel this old". DON'T LET THE ADVERTISERS AND MEDIA MAKE YOU THINK THAT GETTING OLD IS HORRIBLE. The media worships youth, but the reality is that age is to respected and honored. So, you might not like the way you feel, but a more accurate description would be "too young to feel this tired", or "young and wanting to dress in cute young clothes". In other words, lose those excess pounds, and enjoy your youth, but in the meanwhile don't let the advertisers make you feel like you are not thin enough or not cool enough or that age is horrible.

Advertisers can ruin a perfectly good day. You can become whatever you want. YOU ARE FANTASTIC NOW AND WILL BE FANTASTIC EVEN WHEN YOU ARE OLDER, and if losing some pounds will make you healthier and able to do more activities, then go for it happily. While you grow older. :)

DeeDee (57 and glad to have made it, 'cuz what's the alternative?)
  • weddingprincess
    Options
    I don't pay attention to advitisers. I dislike most of the "teen" clothes that are considered "cute". I would rather wear my mothers clothes. I just feel bad because she purchased the gown as a present and I don't like it and well I look like an overstuffed mushroom in it. So there it will stay hanging in the dining room, daunting.
  • taylor82
    Options
    Hello Princess! I know exactly how you feel. I remember a time when I could do flips, back bends, and etc. Now at 27 I can't even go up a flight of stairs with out getting winded. I have bought myself clothes that I just loved only to get them home and have the same problem you have with the dress. I think your taking the first step towards a better you wich is being here and saying I want to lose weight.
  • Beconsistent
    Options
    Hi Wedding princess!

Congratulations on taking the necessary steps to break the family cycle and live a healthy, active life. Your teens and twenties are precious years and I'm sure that you want to make the most of them. I think that your reference "too young to feel this old" simply means that you feel burdened down by your weight and are not able to do the things that most people you age are able to to. This won't be an easy journey but I know that you can do it! You've already lost 2lbs and that's something to be very proud of! I believe that as your family sees you progress, they will be inspired. Take it one day at a time and know that the best is yet to come! Please let me know how you progress.

Take care!

Melissa
  • tyra_robertson
    Options
    I have had the same feelings Princess, but the truth is your age is on your side. Because you are young, it will be less difficult for you to lose weight for many reasons. You don't have any children yet, your metabolism is still okay (it will soar once you begin an exercise program), and you want to do something about it. When I was 18, I was 245lbs. I started working out 5 days a week for like 20min. Then as my body became more comfortable, I increased the time from 20min to 30min and so forth. I also got on a 1500 calorie diet. When I had a craving for something, I adjusted my meals to allow room for that particular food and stayed within my calorie range. I think that something like this will be good for you to start out with. I lost 20lbs in 2 months and went from a 20 to 16. If I would have stuck with this, I would be healthier now. You can do it...I can see you all smiles by summer!
  • rheign
    rheign Posts: 56
    Options
    Here's the good news: you're making a life changing decision in your young adult years. Some people never make the changes, others wait until far later in their adult lives.

You can do this. It was less than nine months ago that I would get breathless bending over to tie my shoes. I felt like I was several decades older than I should. I now feel decades younger than my actual age!

This site has been very helpful for me in monitoring my exercise and daily calories. There's a great support system that I haven't even begun to utilize. I look forward to seeing your progress. =] Good luck on your journey. ;]