Protein Allergy???

Options
PicNic00
PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
My son seems to get itchy throat, tongue, and lips whenever he drinks Pediasure, Eats Eggs, or certain type of breakfast sausages. I'm wondering it there is a certain protein he is allergic too. He is VERY allergic to peanuts. But these others just cause him itchiness.

( I'm taking him to the allergist next week) Just wanted to see what ya'll think.

thanks. :smile:

Replies

• JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    He may be allergic to eggs or soy. You'd be surprised what eggs and soy are in.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    He may be allergic to eggs or soy. You'd be surprised what eggs and soy are in.

Pediasure has some soy; depending on the breakfast sausage, it may have soy and/or MSG.
  • lovesdarkchocolate
    Options
    How are the eggs prepared? If fried, look at what else is in the fying pan. Using vegetable shortening, butter, or ??? and look at the ingredients as these may also contain soy.
  • PicNic00
    Options
    How are the eggs prepared? If fried, look at what else is in the fying pan. Using vegetable shortening, butter, or ??? and look at the ingredients as these may also contain soy.

Usually scrambled. I do you a cooking spray. I'll check the ing. Soy might be something to look into.
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Usually scrambled. I do you a cooking spray. I'll check the ing. Soy might be something to look into.

Most food sprays non sticks are loaded with soya lecithin. It is used in make goods no stick spray so it may also be present in Muffins because they spray the pans with some form or release.

This would be why with backed goods, Sausage has soya, and the cooking pan for his eggs.

Did he take alot of antibiotics before he was 3? As this is a common alergy that developes in children and has been linked I believe in some recent studies.
  • PicNic00
    Options

Most food sprays non sticks are loaded with soya lecithin. It is used in make goods no stick spray so it may also be present in Muffins because they spray the pans with some form or release.

This would be why with backed goods, Sausage has soya, and the cooking pan for his eggs.

Did he take alot of antibiotics before he was 3? As this is a common alergy that developes in children and has been linked I believe in some recent studies.

Poor kid took so many antibiotics before he was 3... He had major ear infections.....

Interesting thoughts guys!
    Thanks for the help.... :smile:
  • wildrosejmj
    wildrosejmj Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's such a shame that doctors don't know to check for allergies and sensitivities when kids present with multiple ear infections. Most often, when you have a child with constant ear infections, it's directly related to diet. Instead they just feed the kids constant doses of antibiotics. I hope your allergist helps you figure things out. Oh, and just as an FYI, people can have issues with certain foods without being "allergic" to them. Several of my kids and myself have milk protein sensitivities. We don't show positive on allergy tests but we definitely should not eat a lot of dairy and no cow's milk at all. The symptoms we get vary but they're all related to the same sensitivity. It does sound like your son is having allergic type reactions though so hopefully you'll be able to get a nice clear yes/no answer (it's so much easier that way!). Good luck!

Deo Juvante, Jen
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Just some educational notes:

- all allergies are to proteins. Other intolerances can be to sugars or other substances, but a true allergy is to a particular protein molecule.

- it is not possible to be allergic to all proteins. If he was allergic to all proteins, he would be dead. (I know you didn't say that, but your subject line may suggest it to some.)

- the top ten allergens in the US are:

Dairy
    Eggs
    Fish
    Peanuts
    Tree nuts
    Sesame
    Shellfish and other seafood
    Soy
    Wheat
    Gluten

He may be allergic to one or more of these. Read all labels, including cross contamination warnings, and keep a diet and allergy journal. The testing may or may not be helpful, there are a lot of false negatives.