Cooking family meals when family members not on my diet?

Options
So I’m trying to do the health eating thing, and am the primary cook in the house for my family for meals. But… I’m trying to be low carb/low calorie/high protein … my skinny husband needs way more calories than me but not too much protein because he has bad kidneys… the kids obviously need stuff to grow up strong and that they will actually eat… my mom is on a low salt diabetic diet…

How do other people manage cooking for everyone with different needs and still sticking to a diet? Make different items for different people? Just change everyone's portion size of different stuff?

Replies

• GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Same stuff, different portions. Though sometimes I just get a microwave meal since my mum doesn't measure out everything even though I've told her many times over I'm only a calorie-controlled diet. :grumble:
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    We all eat the same except portion size with the exception of my daughter, who's a vegetarian. I just make sure to include veggies and sides she can eat and she'll add yogurt or fruit if she's still hungry.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i cook plain grilled protein and veggies for everyone, and then some like rice or grilled potatoes to go with.

the other day was chicken, grilled zucchini, and a grilled potatoes.
    or country style pork ribs in the crock pot, rice pilaf, and sauteed veg.

people can pick and choose what they can eat
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    burgers are really super easy and versatile.
    grill them (or fry them) and let people do their own toppings. you can even eat them on salad if watching carbs.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You should make 2 meals:
    Take it
    or
    Leave it

Plan for your dinners to be a bit higher carb with plenty of healthy fat and moderate protein. Salads, and meat & veggie kind of dinners are usually a safe bet.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I cook for myself - gluten free vegan whose allergic to tree nuts, my daughter - vegetarian, my 2 toddlers - soy, dairy and nut allergies, and my husband who can and will eat anything. I cook one meal, and we all eat the parts that we can/will eat.
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You should make 2 meals:
    Take it
    or
    Leave it

Plan for your dinners to be a bit higher carb with plenty of healthy fat and moderate protein. Salads, and meat & veggie kind of dinners are usually a safe bet.

This is what is served in my house as well. It's not a damn restaurant.
  • goalNOregrets
    goalNOregrets Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thats funny. I like it. :)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and I need to avoid gluten, but my husband and son (16) are meat eaters who can eat wheat. Most of the time, I make meals that are identical for everyone, but I will sometimes make a vegetarian/gluten-free version for me while they have meat/wheat in theirs. We have sandwich fixings, granola bars, protein bars, fresh fruit and veggies on hand so they can supplement what I give them as needed.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I make what I want to eat, ask my boyfriend if he wants me to make some for him too, and 99% of the time watch him make his own damn dinner an hour after he rolled his eyes at mine.