Any other Hidradenitis Suppurativa sufferers out there?

Options

Replies

• adreddick
    adreddick Posts: 24
    Options
    bump
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Cutting out nightshades doesnt seem to be helping me either. Oh well, another theory tried lol.

My doctor has referred me for surgery to have the affected area cut out, but really not sure I want to go down this route. Anyone else had surgery?
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I too have this disease. I was diagnosed a year ago. I try not to read too much about it on the internet or google pictures because I end up in tears thinking that my life is going to be terrible. I get the cysts in my armpits but they never form heads or drain thankfully. My dermatologist did give me Doxycycline 100mg to take when I have flareups. I am actually supposed to take it every day but I don't. I will only take it when the pain gets bad or I have a large one and then the Doxy gets rid of it within 2-3 days. I am praying that my disease does not get progressively worst. Would LOVE to talk to others about this disease as I do not know anyone else with it.
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, I had no idea that many of you responded to this post! I'm sending out friend requests to all of you! Would any of you be interested in a support group?
  • katatak1
    Options
    ive had good and bads with it. it was REALLY bad when i first got it, it started in the groin area. Now that i think back on it i noticed that when i joined track, and lost weight i didnt really have any flare ups. After that i moved to florida (im originally from chicago) and i guess the Heat plus my weight gain made it get worse because thats when i started getting them in my arms. I never came out or told my parents about it till i was 18 (so i went through this for 8 years by myself) the funny thing is, when i was diagnosed with it the doctor told me that it would get BETTER with age, everything that i am reading says it gets worse. Anywho :] the only thing i do is use antibacterial soap which REALLY helps, i started excercising and now i only drink water which seemed to help a lot too.

Wow, suffering alone of 8 years?!? The pain and shame must have been overwhelming! I'm glad antibacterial soap helps you. It doesn't really seem to help me :( But climate definitely plays a role. I got so few flares when I lived in the mountains. Low humidity and the temp rarely got above 80.
  • katatak1
    Options
    OK, I think I managed to get a friend request out to everyone. I might have missed someone. If I did, please message me!

I wanted to say one other thing that's really, really exciting to me! I met someone from NORD (National Organization of Rare Diseases) who said they have a VERY promising treatment for HS that they are starting clinical trials on now. They have done trials in Europe with very good success. The down side is that it is a long treatment process, but the upside is the disease goes into a very long/potentially permanent remission.

It's similar to chemo. It's a regular (not sure if daily) procedure where some concoction of medicine is fed through an IV. The whole process takes about 6 months, but then you should be in remission! I'd be willing to give up 6 months of my life to this treatment if it meant my quality of life would improve and I would never need surgery :)

I can get more details for you all. I have her contact information plus more information on my computer at home. If any of you are in the DC area (or willing to travel), I believe the trials are taking place in Bethesda, MD (just outside of DC).
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    How bad are these boils? When I get a boil, I just go to TSC (Tractor Supply Company; they sell veterinary supplies,) buy some sterile large gauge hypodermic needles, and drain them. Once drained, mine don't hurt very much. I've had ones bigger than a marble, smaller than a ping pong ball, and after they "subside" I am left with what seems to be hollowed out pocket inside my body. I also get very small ones that seem to have tubes running out of them, further into my body. Does this sound familiar, or do I have something else going on?
  • katatak1
    Options
    How bad are these boils? When I get a boil, I just go to TSC (Tractor Supply Company; they sell veterinary supplies,) buy some sterile large gauge hypodermic needles, and drain them. Once drained, mine don't hurt very much. I've had ones bigger than a marble, smaller than a ping pong ball, and after they "subside" I am left with what seems to be hollowed out pocket inside my body. I also get very small ones that seem to have tubes running out of them, further into my body. Does this sound familiar, or do I have something else going on?

That definitely sounds like HS. Go to a dermatologist. They are called abscesses, and it's basically an infection of the hair cells within the apocrine glands. Once they are drained, they shouldn't hurt, so that sounds right too. They vary in size, some growing as large as a baseball. That hollowed out pocket is the abscess. The "boil" is simply all the pus and blood that was hanging around there. Those tubes you are referring to are called sinus tracts, and they are part of what makes HS suck so bad. In effect, the abscesses never really heal. The tracts start to connect them all, so when one flares, they all get re-infected. I think I sent you a friend request. Shoot me a message, and I'll invite you to the support group. Or, you can search for it. It's open to all. It's a tough disease to live with, but having a good dermatologist on record is a good start to maintaining the disease. For many, they've had good success with antibacterial soap. It doesn't help me, but a lot of people find relief from it! Let me know if you have any other questions :)
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Cutting out nightshades doesnt seem to be helping me either. Oh well, another theory tried lol.

My doctor has referred me for surgery to have the affected area cut out, but really not sure I want to go down this route. Anyone else had surgery?

I had suffered through this for 27 years before I finally decided to have one CUT OUT by a doctor... and I will NEVER do it again. I now get one ON TOP of the scar from the incision and stitches... I cannot drain it when it is "ready to drain" because I can't get the right hold on it ... yes, sounds gross but we all know the truth about this...

I does truly depend on what stage you are in though... I believe mine are mostly stage 2... I've seen pictures on the HIDE North America page that make me cringe with the pain these people must be in. I know how mine hurt and I rarely have any that look like those.

Now, 30 years into it, I get a few on my thighs, mostly they come on my underwear line and my bra line. And then they travel... yep, horrible.

Before I had them on my breasts it was easy enough to say that they were ingrown hairs gone wild... but a lover gets a bit put off when you have "ingrown hairs" on your breasts... sad to say that I don't take many lovers due to this... okay, I don't even put myself out there because I don't want to have to explain this BEFORE going to bed with someone. Horribly embarrassing.

Yeah, I got off topic there about the surgery... sorry. I say no to surgery. That's my opinion though... check out the HS websites to see how others have faired.
  • katatak1
    Options

I had suffered through this for 27 years before I finally decided to have one CUT OUT by a doctor... and I will NEVER do it again. I now get one ON TOP of the scar from the incision and stitches... I cannot drain it when it is "ready to drain" because I can't get the right hold on it ... yes, sounds gross but we all know the truth about this...

I does truly depend on what stage you are in though... I believe mine are mostly stage 2... I've seen pictures on the HIDE North America page that make me cringe with the pain these people must be in. I know how mine hurt and I rarely have any that look like those.

Now, 30 years into it, I get a few on my thighs, mostly they come on my underwear line and my bra line. And then they travel... yep, horrible.

Before I had them on my breasts it was easy enough to say that they were ingrown hairs gone wild... but a lover gets a bit put off when you have "ingrown hairs" on your breasts... sad to say that I don't take many lovers due to this... okay, I don't even put myself out there because I don't want to have to explain this BEFORE going to bed with someone. Horribly embarrassing.

Yeah, I got off topic there about the surgery... sorry. I say no to surgery. That's my opinion though... check out the HS websites to see how others have faired.

Taking on new men is certainly one of my fears. I've been with three men, one who was with me when I found out, one who already knew (long-time friend tuned bf), and one who I was lucky enough to not be super-flared when we got down to it :) I wanted to explain the situation before we got serious or he developed too deep of feelings, so at about 2 months in, I explained what it was (he noticed but didn't say anything), told him the typical prognosis, and explained that I understood if he didn't want to be involved anymore. It's a messed up process, it's like I have an STD or something, only it's not contagious...

I haven't had any surgery yet, but I'm really hoping this new treatment I posted about works and gets publicly cleared. Going in for 6 weeks on IV treatment is worth it for a significant remission!
  • LovleeGirl
    Options
    Thanks to my dad, I have it to and it can be painful at times,like today. Mine isn't as bad as it could be but it is something I will have to live with for the rest of my life and hope that I can control it with a healthy life style. Anyone need someone to talk to or just need a new friend add me and let me know.
  • MissHope7
    Options
    I have been suffering from HS for the last 10 years and its been a nightmare.
    I've had surgery, been on long term antibiotics, had them drained and packed and nothing has work.
    A couple of weeks ago I had had enough and did some research on some natural remedies. And l was amazed at what I had found.
    I now take Turmeric tablets daily, I also started taking Olive Leaf Extract. They started working immediately. With a week the ones I had have started to dry up on there own. They are not painful at all and the healing is amazing. I have also cut out starchy foods from my diet, for me that's white bread and potatoes. I have noticed a major difference in the past 2 weeks. I will never go on antibiotics again. They have reeked havoc on my body. I will try and fight this the natural way.
    Give Turmeric and Olive Leaf Extract a go my fellow HS sufferers, it won't do you any harm.
  • candy102389
    Options
    This is crazy I was thinking of putting up a topic yet I had No idea how to post one. But I also wanted to know that I wasn't alone on mfp with this disease. Ive had it since I was 11 got diagnosed when I was 17 at ther e.r. when I had to get one drained the size of a golf ball. The reason I decided to lose weight is to help this disease. I do find it hard to work out though. Iam in stage 3 so I actually have some that will not heal any longer. I get about 5 at the time. As i write this i Have 2 on my left arm, 1 on my right arm, 1 the size of olive on my left leg and another on the right. and one on the back of my neck. o and under my belly flap I have 3 that are draining. I actually did start getting them on my breast, neck, lower stomach and under my belly flap. But since losing weight i have not gotten them on my neck or breast or lower stomach. Its hard to live with this disease and put a smile on your face. Iam only 22 and I feel like I have not enjoyed my life to the fullest. Any support with this disease or even weight loss is greatly apreciated.
  • JD_LaSaun
    JD_LaSaun Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    OK, I think I managed to get a friend request out to everyone. I might have missed someone. If I did, please message me!

I wanted to say one other thing that's really, really exciting to me! I met someone from NORD (National Organization of Rare Diseases) who said they have a VERY promising treatment for HS that they are starting clinical trials on now. They have done trials in Europe with very good success. The down side is that it is a long treatment process, but the upside is the disease goes into a very long/potentially permanent remission.

It's similar to chemo. It's a regular (not sure if daily) procedure where some concoction of medicine is fed through an IV. The whole process takes about 6 months, but then you should be in remission! I'd be willing to give up 6 months of my life to this treatment if it meant my quality of life would improve and I would never need surgery :)

I can get more details for you all. I have her contact information plus more information on my computer at home. If any of you are in the DC area (or willing to travel), I believe the trials are taking place in Bethesda, MD (just outside of DC).

^_________________________________________________________________________________________________^

Do you still have any info on the trials?? Are they still going on?? I live in Maryland and would definitely be interested in being a guinea pig for relief for this study!
  • StacyLRobison
    Options
    I also suffer from HS, I had my first outbreak when I was 15 in my groin, I was told they were swollen lymph nodes and was prescribed antibiotics, when I was 23 I had these repeat areas under my arms in my pits under both arms, usually when one arm is infected the other is in good standing. I have had 3 incisions where they drained 3 different areas and packed them all because I was unable to work due to the size and tenderness of the swollen areas. Ihave been admitted to the ER several times just for these areas under my arms, as for the ones on my crotch, they do not bother me like the ones under my arms but they dont heal either and my panties get stuck to the wounds which causes them to bleed when I get undressed. I had surgery on both of my arms to remove the infected areas on September 25 2012, needless to say I have swollen areas around the areas that were cut out, my wounds that were cut have not healed in a months time and they are draining because my surgeon left them open, so not only do i have new swollen areas my arm pits are pitted in various places. I did find that before my surgery Hibiclense would keep them calm for a certain amount of time. I have also been reading about Zinc Glluconate Supplements and birth control can also help. I wouldnt suggest surgery because, you cant go get them cut out everytime they occur. So just like the rest of you, I too am at a loss and wodering what kind of quality of life were going to have when we can barely use our arms. Ill let you know how weight loss and the Zinc works!
  • rachelaguilar
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with HS for nine years. I went on the paleo diet 30 days ago. I also eliminated nightshades. I saw a big imporvement. I have found certain vegetables triggered a flare up. ( for me I have found that tomatoes and jalepenos cause me to break out.) I am still in the process of adding foods back to my diet to see if they also have an affect on my body. Here is the article that I read.

http://robbwolf.com/2012/04/09/putting-hidradenitis-suppurativa-remission-paleo/
  • alisonjj
    Options
    I had it for 15 years. Last year it was a constant flare up and copvered about half the surface area of my left armpit. No anti biotics helped and I ended up having surgery to remove tissue. I was told it is important to control blood sugar as there is a chance it could return. It is a horrible and very embarrassing condition. I have had it in my other armpit, I have the big lumpy scars but it hasn't flared up for a couple of years.
  • hcm339
    Options
    HS Treatment

Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS) is an autoimmune disease and is due to high levels of Antibodies to Gluten. The Gluten connection is not well known in the Medical community – doctors are not sure about it yet. This gluten problem became evident because some HS sufferers have gone on a Gluten-Free diet (GF diet )and their symptoms became less intense or removed.

In all autoimmune diseases, there are high production of Antibodies .
    Oral Tolerance is the Medical Discovery we use to fix HS.
    Oral Tolerance" is the correct way and is now being used to treat HS.

Oral Tolerance is the one of the Great Discoveries of Modern Medicine because it lowers production of Antibodies - Immunoglobin G, Immunoglobin M and Immunoglobin E.

Proof: Autoimmune Inc. is a company that was established from the Success in Animal trials using Oral Tolerance for various immune diseases – arthritis, diabetes, experimental MS and other illnesses. That is correct – there was success in animal trials, but it was all premature because there was NO success with human trials.
    The company dissolved because it missed some important detail that brought success in their animal tests. This company was just one step to reaching success but could move no further and does not exist today.
    The success in animals was because they used 6 months old mice and 9 months old rats – these animals were comparatively Fresh & produce good amounts of a blood factor. In most humans with immune problems and immune disease, there are small amounts of this factor-but not enough to heal.

For  more info on Oral Tolerance, please view:
    http://suite101.com/article/oral-tolerance-therapy-a8796

Oral Tolerance depends on the T suppressor cell( a blood cell)- which functions to lower Antibodies - Immunoglobin G, Immunoglobin M and Immunoglobin E - associated with immune problems and can fix and cure HS and other immune diseases.

But the important thing here is – if we duplicate all the Factors in the animal trials to human trials, we will  succeed and fix Hidradenitis Suppurativa.

The studies by Dr. Polly Matzinger shows how to accomplish this: The T cell needs 2 factors or signals for full activation.
    1.) a peptide similar to gluten – we can not use gluten because it is the cause of HS – the peptide primes or makes ready the T cell. But without the 2nd signal the T cell remains in anergy( no activity).
    2.) the Second signal - is B7 – other names for this are CD80 and CD86 also known as B7-1 and B7-2 ; either one is enough to make the T cell go thru the changes that makes it a fully activated cell.
    Matzinger's research is called Danger Theory.  It is called Danger because the  Second signal can be induced in humans or animals by Dangerous methods-
     Vaccines , Toxoids , Products and by products of Bacteria , Viruses, Mycoplasmas and other contageous
    and virulent Disease causing Micro-organisms.  These drugs can cause high fevers, Toxic reactions and Death and are not acceptable for human use.

You may view Matzinger's Danger Theory at
    http://www.omnilogos.com/2011/11/26/immunological-danger-signals/

However, there are other ways which will produce that necessary 2nd signal and NO DANGER.

The second signal is a blood factor &  can be induced by HERBS.

Two herbs that induce Second Signal -CD80 & CD86 production are:

1.) Agaricus bisporus - is the white Button mushroom or champignon mushroom found in most U.S. and Canadian supermarkets.
    see article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18287364              
    2.) Goji berry known as Lycium barbarum - juice and extracts induces CD80- available from most Food supplement stores & the internet
    See article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19170138

This treatment is simple & not complicated - it contains a peptide (part of protein) and herbs and that's all.
    A course is 26 days.
    For Mild cases - 3 to 6 courses.
    For Moderate cases - 7 to 9 courses.
    For Severe cases -  10 to 12 courses.

However, many HS sufferers are not yet convinced about the relationship between HS and Gluten.
    If you don't believe that Hidradenitis suppurativa is caused by gluten, kindly read this next info carefully.

WE have researched Hidradenitis suppurativa – a Skin Disease - for some time now and we realized not just HS but a lot of Skin Diseases are also linked and caused by Gluten.

We have listed several diseases and have found the causes point to Gluten and gluten Intolerance:
    1. Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH), or Duhring's disease 2. Lichen Simplex Chronicus
    3. Lichen Sclerosis
    4. Prurigo Nodularis
    5. Lichen Planus
    6. Grover's Disease also known as Acantholytic Dermatosis
    7. some Morphea cases
    8. some Scleroderma cases

If you do a research and even using the internet to get this info, you will find that this list of diseases - ALL 8 of them affect the SKIN &
    have been connected with Gluten and Gluten Intolerance and alleviated by GF Diet.
    I am trying to prove here that when you realize that gluten is the Source of these other SKIN Diseases, then you should decide for yourself if from these list, there is a strong possibility that Gluten is also the Cause of HIdradenitis Suppurativa.

One more proof: We are treating other illnesses successfully - Diabetes 2 and Celiac Disease. As pointed out Oral Tolerance
    works lowering Antibodes and our success with these has lead us to treat other diseases including HS.

Our website is
    www.naturopathichealing.net

Questions, comments or inquiries? kindly contact us
    via himmerland2000@yahoo.ca
    Lux Health Resources
  • holli0224
    holli0224 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow! So glad I came across this! I have suffered from HS for over 15 years and 2 weeks ago eliminated gluten from my diet as an experiement to see if my symptoms would improve. I figured that gluten causes all types of autoimmune diseases, maybe it's behimd HS. I haven't had any lesions while I've been gluten free. I'm so glad that I found your post because I can find nobody who will agree that maybe gluten is the culprit. I try to suggest it to other HS sufferers, but they seem to believe their best bet is antibiotics and creams. HS is not a skin issue. The root is an immune issue. Thanks for posting this!
  • tlisaac0902
    Options
    I have had this for 20 years. I was first diagnosis when I was 19 and it almost killed me. I've tried surgeries. They work for a little while. I am currently searching a dermatologist who may have some insight. I'm trying the no night shades. We'll see what happens.