Spinning

Options
On here it says 45 min spinning burns around 450 cals however the instructor I do the class with says 600-700 cals.
Does anyone know which is correct ? Obviously I would love it to be the latter so I can enjoy more treats lol!!!

Louise

Replies

• Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    450-ish on my HRM and I work hard. Maybe someone bigger than me or less fit would burn more.
  • loriarrowood
    Options
    My HRM says around 300-450 depending on how hard I work. I'm 5'4" 136 lbs.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My HRM says around 300-450 depending on how hard I work. I'm 5'4" 136 lbs.

Hi! You are my 'twin' - am 5'5'' and 135lbs and am 45 - I do spin too and was logging in the MFP stats.
    Your HRM ones are that for a 45 min class or an hour?
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I am 150lb and worked VERY hard for a 45 min session and burnt 615 calories

My wife borrowed my HRM and changed the settings

My next spinning session I worked just as hard and burnt 400 calories on her settings - she is 47 and 130lb
  • mosschopscider
    mosschopscider Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Think its all very much based on the intensity. When they tell you to turn up the resistance when its at its most you really should be struggling to move your legs. Very few people actually turn the resistance up this high.
    I am 150 ish lbs and only burn about 350 cals in a 45 minute spin class. I feel like I could pass out afterwards but i pace myself so I can survive the class.
    Its still exercise though and still good for you but i would advise following the MFP values, not your instructors :-)
  • jaznsusan
    jaznsusan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do a 60 minute spin and a 75 minute. I am usually about 475-500 for the 60 minute spin, and 550-600 for the 75 minute.

Now, I have noticed something really odd...I usually burn almost 100 more calories if I spin later in the day after I have eaten something. 98% of the time I do spin class at 5:15am. It's tempting to switch my workout time to burn more calories, once my daughters go back to school I may switch some of my workouts to lunchtime.
  • lounpaul
    lounpaul Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think i need to invest in one of those heart rate monitors to get a true reading lol
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think i need to invest in one of those heart rate monitors to get a true reading lol
    I know what you mean. I've been thinking of getting one as well to see how many calories I've been burning in the classes I go to.