Can I run after lifting?

Options
bjdw1
bjdw1 Posts: 140 Member
Just done an upper body lift workout and I now want to do a run after lunch. Is running going to negate the work I done on the weights? I seem to remeber reading something like that soewhere once?

Thanks.

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Well, I have read that doing muscular endurance exercise somewhat lessens the gains you get from strength training, and vice versa, but not enough to "negate" either one. It's still good to get in both cardio and strength training.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've read that it doesnt affect your recovery too much if you wait a few hours after you lift.
  • bjdw1
    Options
    Oh rats. It's just started pi55ing down raining so there goes the run anyway :-/
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Let's get rid of the word "negate" Nothing negates anything. Your lifting still happened. I'm not sure what your question is tho. If you're asking if running directly after lifting makes it like the lifting never happened, then we've just addressed that. Running ain't a time machine.

Now if you're asking if running will impede your strength training progress. Then yes, yes it will. But it doesn't matter if you run directly after your lift or the next day or the day after the day after the day. Running will hamper your strength.

Will it affect it too much? Depends on your goals. If you goal is to get hulked out, then sit down. If you're trying to achieve an overall level of fitness that includes improved cardio function, greater strength, and smaller pants, then you're probably ok. If you just want some basic fitness, then run away. It's basically up to you to decide how much stronger you want to become and over what time period.

But running doesn't negate your workouts. Depending on where you are on the strength spectrum, you should still improve while running, just not as quickly.
  • bjdw1
    Options
    My primary goal is to be able to run a half marathon by November 17

My secondary goal is to create a bit of shape and definition in my arms, shoulders and chest.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I usually do weight training first and then cardio. Basically 6-7 days a week.
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oh rats. It's just started pi55ing down raining so there goes the run anyway :-/
    No hat?
  • smaschin
    smaschin Posts: 91
    Options

Yes is the short answer.

However you should refuel or you wont get the best performance and may lead to injury.

As for the rain, as we used to say in the paras "it aint training unless its raining"

Just so you know rain wont negate the effects of weights either ;-)
  • bjdw1
    Options
    While the rain mightn't affect the training aweek off training in bed with a flu might. It's the middle of winter here. ;-)

Nevermind, I had an afternoon off and have made a 5am appointment with my running shoes before work tomorrow.
  • smaschin
    smaschin Posts: 91
    Options
    While the rain mightn't affect the training aweek off training in bed with a flu might. It's the middle of winter here. ;-)

Nevermind, I had an afternoon off and have made a 5am appointment with my running shoes before work tomorrow.

Old wives tale !

Flu is a virus, it doesnt exist within rain and cold ;-)

As for getting any virus from the cold or wet, unlikely as heat is needed for germs to spread not cold.

The fitter and better condition you are in (from training) the less susceptible you are to the "excuse" diseases as well.

Excuses will effect you more than flu ;-)

Peace
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You need to give more information about your goals. I lift to support running. So no way does running 'impede' strength training, given my actual aims.

Lifting will likely impact on run performance if you lift first and run later, though. When I have a mixed day, I do the thing that matters most first.
  • bjdw1
    Options
    I just completed C25K last week. I'm aiming to be able to run a half marathon in November. Building up my running endurance is my main goal at the moment (not worried about speed this year, just finishing).

As a secondary goal I would like to build a bit of muscle tone in my upper body. (Come summer I'll be pretty much be hanging up the running shoes and spending my time sitting on a kayak getting my exercise that way)

I have just changed from a calorie deficit to maintenance.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Let's get rid of the word "negate" Nothing negates anything. Your lifting still happened. I'm not sure what your question is tho. If you're asking if running directly after lifting makes it like the lifting never happened, then we've just addressed that. Running ain't a time machine.

Now if you're asking if running will impede your strength training progress. Then yes, yes it will. But it doesn't matter if you run directly after your lift or the next day or the day after the day after the day. Running will hamper your strength.

Will it affect it too much? Depends on your goals. If you goal is to get hulked out, then sit down. If you're trying to achieve an overall level of fitness that includes improved cardio function, greater strength, and smaller pants, then you're probably ok. If you just want some basic fitness, then run away. It's basically up to you to decide how much stronger you want to become and over what time period.

But running doesn't negate your workouts. Depending on where you are on the strength spectrum, you should still improve while running, just not as quickly.

^--- This.

Yeah, It just depends on your goals, man.

Right now I am bulking, so I walk for 30 minutes, then I lift. I like walking first because it help get my blood circulating well.

during a cutting cycle, I'll lift first then do some moderate or HIIT cardio after because it gets me pumped up for the rest of my day..
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Double post.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

perfect