morning versus evening exercise

Options
Hi
I had hit a plateau and although exercising more than usual weight just did not move. I started Round the worls challenge and started to exercise first thing in the morning hitting the gym at 7.00AM instead of 7.00PM. I have lost 1.1 kg in a few days eating the same as before.
I used to go in evening as it would stop me nibbling bits of food but found going in the morning gives me a buzz and I feel so virtuous having done a good ( for me) workout before breakfast. Then the rest of the day is mine.

Replies

• BeckyLH
    BeckyLH Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I prefer morning exercise too, I have more energy and it sets me up for the day, I find it so hard on a night so try to stick to morning/ afternoon if I can.

Different times work for different people though.
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have always done my exercising early morning. Get up, get dressed and GO! No time for excuses and then whatever the day brings, you know you have done your exercise. :)
    I know some folk can't do it early for various reasons but it is sure working for me. I am not logging extra activity for example I worked in the garden this afternoon for an hour, but I just think of that as a bonus towards my weight loss and hopefully it will show when I have my Monday weigh-in.
    I would find it very hard to exercise at night or late afternoon, so I admire those who can. :)
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    I think i will try to exercise in the morning when the kids go back to school. However at the moment i am limited to evenings as i have to wait for hubby to get home!
  • ninjakowski
    Options
    I enjoy exercising in the morning, even just to make sure I get it done and don't run out of time (or find excuses) later on.
    However I find it absolutely impossible to do any exercise in the morning without eating something first - I just feel weak and faint and run out of batteries in about 5 minutes. Which usually makes morning exercise impossible, just don't have enough time to eat, wait a bit then exercise. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • jennsie
    jennsie Posts: 38
    Options
    Due to my work hours and the gym not being open -- I have a long commute which meant laving the house by 6:30 latest - I am unable to go to the gym in the mornings. (I think the gym opens at 7:00 or 7:30 on weekdays.)

I go straight to gym after work. It's busy then, but it prevented me from having an evening meal (I don't get home from work until 6:15 anyway, and I get changed at home then go straight out to the gym, then to shower and bed.)

I go in the mornings at weekends and then have the rest of the time to do what I want.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I go at night. I wish I could wake up early enough and have the energy to go in the morning but I am so not a morning person! how do you all do it??
  • pugnut2002
    pugnut2002 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i have found it easier to do my workouts in the morning before work. I dont have to think about it all day long by evening i am usually tired and unmotivated. morning workouts make me awake and energized for the day
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I enjoy exercising in the morning, even just to make sure I get it done and don't run out of time (or find excuses) later on.
    However I find it absolutely impossible to do any exercise in the morning without eating something first - I just feel weak and faint and run out of batteries in about 5 minutes. Which usually makes morning exercise impossible, just don't have enough time to eat, wait a bit then exercise. Does anyone else have this problem?

I was just going to ask this. Usually I work out mid morning about 2-3 hours after I eat breakfast because I have to take my kids to the gym daycare to exercise. A few days ago DH happened to be home in the morning so I went for a run first thing. i couldn't finish! I was miserable, faint and thirsty. I'm not going to go exercise before eating again.
  • flajocar
    flajocar Posts: 37
    Options
    I love working out in the morning. It get my metabolism running and i think working out on an empty stomach makes my body burn more fat. May be wrong but that's my motivation to get up at 4am when I have to be at work by 6!
  • htalexander
    Options
    I exercise when my kids allow me to...sometimes in the middle of the night lol - mom of 14month and 3 year old boys =)
    I also do a lot of active things with them like playing outside, pulling them around in their wagon and dancing inside if it's rainy so that way I know I burned something even if I passed out without doing a "real" excercise routine..
  • Toomestwin
    Options
    I try to exercise in the mornings whenever I can. Unfortunately, my work schedule prevents me from having a good morning workout, so I do a 15-minute high-intensity push-ups-crunches routine on work days and good solid workout on weekend mornings. Otherwise, my workouts are in the evenings.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the evenings usually.... I wish I could get up and go in the mornings tho!
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    Options
    I wish I could wake up early enough to do it in the mornings. it would mean 5:30 am for me, which just seems so early when the alarm goes off. lol

I've got a nice little routine though. I workout at home, so I get home from work around 5:30-6pm and I workout right away so i'm done by 7 at the latest and then I make dinner. :)
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    i have found it easier to do my workouts in the morning before work. I dont have to think about it all day long by evening i am usually tired and unmotivated. morning workouts make me awake and energized for the day

Yep!
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have to work out in the morning or it wont get done. When I tried afternoons or evenings there was just too much going on to actually get there and get if done. If I get up and go when most people are still asleep then there are lots of bonuses like seeing the dawn, less traffic, less crowds at the gym. It is time for me to take care of me. I have been doing this for 11 weeks. I see results and I have been consistent. My only question is - when does this become a habit? Each day is still a consious decision to get up and go.
  • Nikki_Nx
    Nikki_Nx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I prefer mornings and I'm thinking that I must get up a tad earlier (5.30a.m. sounds good).
    I work 12 hour shifts, so trying to fit in the gym where and when I can....haven't been in the evening yet, but not ruling it out :o)

My gym has a creche, so perhaps those of you who have children should check to see if your gym has one too, then you can work out whenever you want xx
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I prefer morning runs also. It just seems to make the day go much smoother.