New here

Options
I have had weight issues for a LONG time! I have gotten down as low as about 166 (I am 5'8"). I have been as high as 240 when pregnant. When I got pregnant with my first in 1993, I weighed 173. I got up to 194 in Jan 2012 and was disgusted. I did a program and lost about 28 lbs. Quickly I have gained back about 12 lbs (vacation and getting lazy and snacking too much!). I started a program at work yesterday (www.esmmweighless.com) and am ready to lose 17-18 lbs. I ate much better yesterday and I walked 4.2 miles (1 hr 10 min) last night with my friend. So the instructor gave us this website and I need some accountability so here I am.

I was 177 this morning. I will try to post pics soon. Thankfully most people never guess I weigh as much as I do (thinking I weigh like 150). I am in NC and would love to find some "locals". I have 3 kids (18, 12, and 9). I am 41.

Replies

• sphair81
    sphair81 Posts: 5
    Options
    I know about having weight issues my entire life. This is a great acountability website. I'm only 5'3 and have weighed 186 pounds at my highest and 112 at my lowest. I, too, end up having people think that I weigh less than I do. When I was diagnosed with back problems, my doctor told me that I had to lose at least 20 lbs. before she could send me to physical therapy and I weighed 170. On my own with calorie counting and exercise, I lost those 20lbs. and now am able to exercise unrestriced, so I can do zumba. I found a problem with not knowing how to maintain my healthier habits and weight. So, I started here for the same reason: accountability. I like putting my food down and it calculates for me how many calories I have left. I like adding exercise and seeing that I have the ability to eat more (I love to snack!) because I burned calories. The biggest benefit has been having a way to maintain the weight once you lose it, which is where I think a lot of the problem for many when they are doing it on their own without a weight loss program designed with a maintenance step. If you have smartphone, there is an mfp app that has a barcode scanner, which comes in really handy. I hope you find success in your path to a healthier lifestyle!
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards... post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We al fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. Its easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile. :)
    I don't wish people good luck, I never had it and don't need it! Luck doesn't get you through this... hard work does!
  • happygolucky5536
    happygolucky5536 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in NC too-- my story is like yours and it sounds like we've both struggled for awhile. I'm new to MFP also...
  • teasa818
    teasa818 Posts: 3
    Options
    i am also new here have been struggling with weight for a while now to but my big wake up call is my 6 year old son who is to heavy for his age i need to be a good example for him so we can both be healthy all i want for him is to be healthy and happy it broke my heart when he came home from school and said that someone called him fat .so thats why im here i can use all the help and advice i can get
  • kmiskow
    kmiskow Posts: 24
    Options
    I don't even want to start in on back issues! LOL I had back surgery in 2006 for a herniated disk that I had suffered from since 2001. Thankfully it helped and I last had injections 2010 and been lower back healthy since then. Last March I began having pain and long story short, in July 2011 I ended up having emergency surgery for herniated disk in my neck that was pressing on my spinal cord. Thankfully surgery quickly fixed that!
  • kmiskow
    kmiskow Posts: 24
    Options
    Thankfully my kids have their father's genes I guess. My oldest is 5'3" and 110 lbs. My middle one is most like me, but solid, not fat. She is 5'6" and about 128 lbs. My youngest is 70 lbs and 57 inches.
  • kazoooo8
    kazoooo8 Posts: 71
    Options
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards... post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We al fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    I don't wish people good luck, I never had it and don't need it! Luck doesn't get you through this... hard work does!

Nice tips... I espeically like #6 :)
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Best tip list I'ver read on MFP!!!
    I agree with each and every point.
  • yc46
    yc46 Posts: 10
    Options
    Brand new to this website one week ago today. I live in the US southern part of the country; our heat has been almost intolerable this summer so walking outside unless very early in the morning has not been an option for me. Both recent cancer survivors, my husband and I have decided it's high time to begin a healthier "walk". I am 5'7" and weigh 172 - too much for me. It's been such a change in the last week entering my caloric intake each day; it's fun and so easy and allows me to learn what I need to prepare for our meals. We also made another drastic change this week and that is joining a "Total Fitness" gym. We've been everyday. Thanks so much for this website.
  • alohomoroa
    Options
    I'm new too, I want to do Camp America this summer, so I want to tone up so I look like a good example to the kids :D