Half Marathon/Full Marathon Question

Options
I am training for a half marathon on April 10th. I am following a plan from runners world that starts with 5 miles 3x a week, and increases slightly on the third day each week to prep for the event. I am comfortable with the plan and like the way it is laid out. My question for all you experienced runners/marathoners is that there is actually a full marathon on May 1st in our area and the training plan can be increased to lead up to it. I am not what you call an experienced runner. I do 3-5 5k's and a couple 10k's a year with my longest run being 10 miles. I really mix up my work outs with cardio and strength training and usually only have 2 days dedicated to running anywhere from 4-6 miles. My question is do I go for it? I really like having a goal but don't want to set myself up for failure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• jtrujillo
    Options
    That's awesome that you're training for the half. I ran my first marathon last month after an 18 week training program (Hal Higdon, http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/novices2.htm). The prior year I trained for a marathon but dropped out. I did better the next time out due to following the training program.

I would strongly suggest you follow one of the marathon training programs. Most seem to be 16-18 weeks in length. If you start now, you might be ok. Just remember to work in your half-marathon race properly in your training schedule. Right around April 10th, you should be doing your 20 mile long run. So just be aware of that. Don't shortchange yourself on your 20 miler long run. For me, it was absolutely crucial as around 17 miles or so, I "hit the wall" and had to learn how to train through that.

Anyway, I hope that's helpful. I'm just a newbie. There are a lot of other wiser runners than myself who can provide better advice. :-)

Good luck!
  • runningj
    runningj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 1/2 marathon. I'm assuming since this would be your first marathon that you aren't looking at any specific time for the race, but just to finish. The one thing I would suggest if you decide to do a full marathon is to make sure that you are able to get in at least a couple 20 mile runs in preparation. Training for the 1/2 marathon will be helpful to prepare you for the full, but you don't have much time between the half and the first of May.

With your current long runs being around 10 miles, you have a great base for the half, but the full requires you take it up a notch. I've done a couple marathons and an ultra and I find that runs above 18 miles are really what's needed to prepare for that distance. Be sure to run your long runs at a comfortable pace. The most important thing is to get in the miles and have the time on your feet. There are a lot of different plans out there - I think the two keys are the long run and consistent training.

Good luck!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I am training for a half marathon on April 10th. I am following a plan from runners world that starts with 5 miles 3x a week, and increases slightly on the third day each week to prep for the event. I am comfortable with the plan and like the way it is laid out. My question for all you experienced runners/marathoners is that there is actually a full marathon on May 1st in our area and the training plan can be increased to lead up to it. I am not what you call an experienced runner. I do 3-5 5k's and a couple 10k's a year with my longest run being 10 miles. I really mix up my work outs with cardio and strength training and usually only have 2 days dedicated to running anywhere from 4-6 miles. My question is do I go for it? I really like having a goal but don't want to set myself up for failure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Check out these threads...this is is filled with experiencd and newbie runners.....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/73008-mfp-runner-s-club

this one is for those of us trying to get to the half of full marathon.http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/73140-marathon-newbies-group-week-two

I was wondering the same thing about doing the full marathon how long after - I figure once I get the alf done, I'll look at the programs and go from there.
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips. I think I would have waited but it must be a sign or something given these races are so close and literally 10 miles from home. I would like to finish the half under 2hrs and have no time goal for the full just to finish.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    My goal for the half is under 3 hours--it's all about just doing it for me! I am a TURTLE...officially the President of the Turtle Club on the Runners Club thread!