Tuna???

Options
Is it bad to eat it 4-6 times a week a can a day, its low cal and high protein and sooooo good!!! Ive tried chicken canned for salad and not only is it more cals but its just not as good :( Help my tuna addiction

Replies

• ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, i'm sure there's a lot worse things you could eat. Unless you're pregnant, then you shouldn't eat it every day.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I love tuna on ricecakes mixed with mayonnaise and chilli,have it everyday
  • bubmaster
    Options
    tuna is good..don't worry !!!
  • Logankills
    Options
    I love making tuna wraps!! :) It's decently good for you but be careful about ingesting too much mercury from it
  • mrsdobbers
    Options
    I struggle with eating too much tuna. It's quick, easy & high protein. But one of my docs saw me eating some & told me to be careful not to eat more than 2-3 times a week. Mercury poison can happen, but I try to buy the kinds with lowest mercury.
  • thinlizzy525
    Options
    I love Tuna to! I really like those pouches they sell because they are already portioned out for me. I mix 1 pouch of Starkist Chunk Light Tuna, 1 tbsp mayo (light), 1 tbsp dill relish and put on a bed of lettuce (about 2 cups shredded). It's filling, healthy and makes for a great meal. I believe i have it posted in my food diary if you want to view the nutritional values. I agree with the other poster that there are alot more things you could be eating that are bad for you so i don't think that eating a can a day would be terrible. Google and see what you can find? :)
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Drop it to 2-3 cans a week. Heavy metal toxicity is not a myth and you may be accumulating too much mercury with those 4-6 cans. Over the next years you may face health problems.
  • htalexander
    Options
    I love it too! And like previous poster said, I think it's fine unless you're preggo... I mix in a little lite mayo or mustard and eat it with multigrain crackers...soooo good. I love all fish..all the fuel without the heaviness of other meats. I think canned chicken is nasty by the way!! The only thing you have to watch is sodium if that's a concern of yours.
  • Krystal7786
    Krystal7786 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love making tuna wraps!! :) It's decently good for you but be careful about ingesting too much mercury from it

I was worried about this, how do you know how much mercury? I eat starkist white tuna in water!!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • htalexander
    Options
    and yes, mercury..I think I have also heard you should only have it 3x a week..
  • xarge
    Options
    I was worried about this, how do you know how much mercury? I eat starkist white tuna in water!!

You can have your blood checked for mercury levels but most of the mercury will be in your liver so only a tissue sample will give correct readings. (Sadly) it's best to consume less tuna and be safe rather than sorry.
  • mocchioni
    mocchioni Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I could eat it everyday but read you should not eat it more than times a week so I try to stick to 3 times a week. The last few weeks I have been eating things other that tuna and it seems to be woking.
  • Krystal7786
    Options
    i need an under 250 cal lunch option then lol, low carb and filling???
  • xarge
    Options
    i need an under 250 cal lunch option then lol, low carb and filling???

Replace the tuna (in anything you use) with chicken breast (diced or shredded goes well in sandwiches, wraps etc). Not that chickens are far healthier than tuna in terms of the ways they're fed but oh well.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't touch it too many times… check out this Tuna calculator… http://www.ewg.org/tunacalculator
  • Krystal7786
    Options
    this is opening my eyes!!! Never realized :/