help! unintentionally starving myself...

Options
So I've noticed that my actual calories that I eat are like sometimes under 1200 and I'll be full and I'm getting scared. It also means most of the time my net calories are below 1000... i don't mean to starve myself and I know it's hurting my body but I'm just not like, wicked hungry nowadays. How do I get my calories up ):

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    eating more for breakfast. have a protein shake/smoothie after a workout.

Your body gets used to eating too little, just like your body can get used to eating too much. make some effort to eat more.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You could add a little healthy oils to your meals, canolo or olive. Maybe some avocados. Eat higher calorie foods like potatoes or bananas.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    peanut butter with an apple. 300 cals.
  • Naomipal
    Naomipal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    peanut butter with an apple. 300 cals.

This!
  • simonsayzz
    simonsayzz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Eat nuts!
  • Isaanne
    Isaanne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Don't get scared, the negative aspect is a slowing of the metabolism and slower weight loss. If you are working out a lot, make sure you have a pre-work out snack and post work out snack and that is a way to eat back your exercise calories right when you need it most. I have not looked at your diary but if you add this in it wil help get your net calories in line with your target calories.
  • mysterysilk
    Options
    Alright, I'll try these all this week! As soon as someone mentioned smoothies, I started looking up some that I can make for breakfast this upcoming week. I really appreciate it guys! I've been on here for almost 2 months, but I'm still new to the whole eating right and exercising.
  • Krystal7786
    Krystal7786 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i have the same issue so bump!!
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Alright, I'll try these all this week! As soon as someone mentioned smoothies, I started looking up some that I can make for breakfast this upcoming week. I really appreciate it guys! I've been on here for almost 2 months, but I'm still new to the whole eating right and exercising.

Smoothies are great and really help to add healthy items to your daily list. I just use almond milk and whatever frozen fruit I want.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    happens to me a lot now- I have made so many dishes so light I forget I could throw an extra bit of this or that in and it could lead to 100 more calories and Id hit goal calories more often. So instead of 1 oz of cheese- use 1.5 or 2. Instead of a tsp of olive oil to cook something- use a tablespoon. Add protein powder to a smoothie or ramp up some oatmeal with it and greek yogurt.

But- also dont fret- are you losing- do you feel satisfied. I refuse to eat back any calories Im not hungry for. I got in this mess from mindless eating- I will not start a new bad habit of force feeding myself. Im not an athlete- I dont need to work out daily like a beast. I like working out- but if my body is out of gas, Im not feeling quite right, or Im sore- I take a rest day. I dont plan rest days- I let my body tell me.
  • MichelleL2016
    MichelleL2016 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have that problem sometimes too. I either make myself eat another small meal that way I know I'm not under or I'll have a small snack like peanut butter toast or a handfull of chips. It is true that your body can get used to eating too little because after awhile, your body delays the "huger pains" making you think that you aren't hungry when you actually are.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    While "starving" yourself would be dumb, bear in mind the 1200 net figure is for an average woman, and while you're not as short as me (4' 10") you're not exactly average either.

I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest if you're eating at least 1200 a day and netting 1100.

If your weight loss is slowing, it's most likely not a slowing of metabolism, but a simple decrease in daily requirements. Right now you're carrying 13lb less than when you started. Might not sound much, but carry round a 13lb weight all day from morning to night and you'll find that it takes a lot of effort - and effort = calories.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but by the time you've lost another 13lb, you'll be expending even less energy (calories) just moving around in your day to day life. That's why it's important not to lose weight too quickly, and why weight training is so good - muscle isn't only "slimmer" than fat pound for pound, but it also burns calories all day and all night - which means you can have a diet that's closer to what an average height woman can eat.

EDITED TO EXPLAIN - When I said "That's why it's important not to lose weight too quickly" I should have explained, if you lose weight quickly, and you're not clinically obese, what you lose is partly muscle. What you need to lose is fat, while keeping the muscle you already have. :)
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You starve your body by not providing it with the right nutrients. 800 calories of nutritious food will feed your body....1200+ calories of junk will not....If you are worried about starving...then concentrate on your nutrients and not your calories!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Um. I think your accidentally shorting yourself on fruits. They don't fill you up and eating a fruit bar is not the same. I would recommend adding fruits to your diet even if it's a snack in the middle between meals. Berries are fantastic and bananas are great for potassium. You can eat grapes (they have lots of water) or even watermelon. I know that's where I need to improve my diet and looking at your diary - you are doing the same thing I do which is your not adding fruits which are what keep your body strong.

If you aren't a fruit eater, you can pick up a powder at the health food stores called Frutein. I know the Vitaminshop carries them in their stores and if you go in and tell them the price is lower online - they'll give it to you for the online price. They have red mix (red fruits) and blue mix (blue fruits) and also a mixed fruits and veggies mix. I didn't like the banana orange mix. I just ordered replacement powers so I'm waiting for those to come in but it might be a great option for you to increase fruits and vitamins.
  • mysterysilk
    Options
    good to know... I actually do love fruit, I just don't ever snack on it... that being said, I think I might have a nectarine right now.