Scale Experiment

Options
Decided to do a little experiment with my scale this morning because I hate it. I weighed myself in my usual spot (bathroom on tile floor) and got 142 (the same weight I have been for weeks). Then I weighed myself on the bathmat in my bathroom and got 137.
I thought that maybe it was just a difference because everyone always says its better to weigh on a hard surface.

So, then I whipped out my 5lb dumbbells. I put them both on the scale on the hard surface, scale said 10lbs which is great. Then I put them on the scale on the bathmat, well the scale said 10lbs again. Both would be accurate since two 5lb dumbbells weigh 10lbs.

SO THEN, I weighed myself first on the hard surface (142), and then I weighed myself holding both dumbbells and got 152, cool, exactly 10lbs. And then, I weighed myself on the bathmat (137), and weighed with both dumbbells and got 147, another exact 10lbs.

SO WHAT GIVES? Am I 142 or 137?? Or somewhere in between?? it seems that according to weighing with the dumbbells, both could be accurate. Maybe I am reading too much into this but I have been stuck at 142 for weeks now and i'm frustrated!! Ughh I really just hate the scale sometimes...

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Let's call it 139.5
  • ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    hahaha I like that idea!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,139 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to make weight for some competition? If not, get out the measuring tape and ignore the scale. As for the different weights, realize that the 10 pounds of dumbells probably are not enough to make the bathmat be a problem, where as full body weight probably would be. At least that is my guess. I know that my scale said to put it on a hard surface in the instructions with the statement that on carpet it would not be accurate. YMMV.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    The scale should always be on a hard surface.
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I tend to get that issue too. Though it's not really a hard floor vs soft floor issue with my scale, it seems temperamental with just the area of the floor. Slide it over by the door and I weigh so much, angle it and I gain half a lb. Move it over by the washing machine and I lose a lb. Slide it over by the bathtub and I've suddenly gained 2.5lbs. Welcome to my bathroom...the Bermuda Triangle of bathroom scales.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Scales are evil. Period

My at home scale give me a weight, my boyfriend scale give me another lower weight and both are calibrated ok.

But really, unless you write your weight on your forehead, the exact number is not that important as long as you are getting smaller.

For me the scale is the least useful way to know my progress. Measuring tape and body fat caliper are better
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am SO moving my scale all over the house tomorrow morning....and going with the lowest weight I can find :laugh:

(I'm not laughing at you....I do know how you feel! My scale needs to be smashed up and thrown away :grumble:)
  • ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i think i'm just gonna forget the scale for a while. i have been losing inches and feel a lot better in general, i'm just a typical girl who is fixated on reaching some number on the scale and i just need to forget about it!!!