Zumba!

Options
I'm thinking about trying it. There is a studio not far from my house that offers Zumba classes pretty much every day. A girl I work with has been going 2-3 times a week, and she says she loves it. It's $6 a session (sessions are 1 hour) and it sounds like a lot of fun.
Have you tried it? What do you think of it? Is it a good work out?

Replies

• Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I love it, it's fun! Your calorie burn depends on the instructor. I burn about 350 cal but have seen people on here say they burn much more.
  • JessigirlJb
    Options
    i own it and it is alot of fun. but i do feel silly sometimes with a few of those moves. but whatever you have fun burn calories.. its pretty great
    th_Zumba-How-We-Feel-How-We-Look.jpg
  • ninnalibra
    Options
    Its total fun ...i have also joined it recently. 3 classes and i love it.....its fun way of burning calories and at d same time enrgising u too...if u love music u wud definitely luv zumba...even if u r not a big dancer ...jus move with ebody...and have a blast....
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i own it and it is alot of fun. but i do feel silly sometimes with a few of those moves. but whatever you have fun burn calories.. its pretty great
    th_Zumba-How-We-Feel-How-We-Look.jpg

this. totally this. if you can get over being self conscious it's a great time.
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    You will LOVE ZUMBA!!! Try it. It doesnt matter how well you can dance or how coordinated you are. You will learn the steps. But it burns a lot of calories and its fun. Its my primary source of Cardio which really helps me out since i hate cardio. You will not be disappointed. Also if you check threads you will find a great success story on here called The Power of Zumba, this young lady did a great job reaching her goals with Zumba.
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Its just brilliant...how much you burn depends on how you work much like any other excercise...it's great fun and the more you go the better you get...much better than boring gym work...if you like dancing you'll love it..
  • lisa_swims
    lisa_swims Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    After seeing many FB posts of friends I went for the first time Thursday night. I went again this morning! I think you will enjoy it. Don't worry about keeping up just have fun. :)
  • mjculber
    mjculber Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Zumba is so much fun!! You will love it :) Just went to a 2 hour Zumbathon today to benefit our local Animal Shelter, it was a blast.....be prepared to sweat....a lot! :laugh:
  • skmolove
    skmolove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    DO IT! i absolutely LOVE my zumba class, i go w/ ^ mjculber ^ When i started out i weighed 230lbs. I have been going for nearly 8 months and i credit the class for a large part of my 37lb loss thus far. i had a short period of body aches and pains, but i feel Gr8 these days!
  • PrettyInPink140
    PrettyInPink140 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just tried out a Zumba class yesterday morning and I loved it so much I went back again this morning! Both instructors I had told me the moves will get easier the more you do it....but SO MUCH FUN :)
  • AnnieMae07
    AnnieMae07 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Zumba. It is too much fun. My gym offers classes 5 days a week. I'm pretty much there everyday. Zumba really makes you forget you're even working out. I say try it.
  • Katiecando
    Katiecando Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have zumba on my WII i get going and enjoy myself that oftentimes 3 hours go buy before I think to stop. And with all that moving the calories burn fast and fun.
  • leyte26
    leyte26 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i have no Coordination at all but love zumba!!! its a great workout!
  • mamabanana
    mamabanana Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just got the Zumba DVD as a b-day gift. I have started it 2 days now along with my 9 yr old daughter. It is fun, however I feel so totally uncoordinated and floppy. It is rather discouraging that I can not get some of the steps right or on time but the music is is very uplifting and I can't help but to dance around. I am really hoping that I still get some of the weightloss benefits even though I am just not getting the steps right.
  • cakelady69
    cakelady69 Posts: 228
    Options
    Saying I love Zumba is an understatement! I have been doing it for over 4 years now. I take classes 5 days a week and LOVE it. I'm hoping one day when the weight is off to train to instruct. You will love it. Its a a fun workout. Although, for me I add in bodycombat and cycling to give me a harder workout. Zumba is my stress reliever. Give it a try and just keep moving and have FUN!
  • cakelady69
    cakelady69 Posts: 228
    Options
    btw, zumba toning burns less than regular zumba. i think it depends on the instructors and the classes also. my gym says it is about 450 cals. for an hour class on average there.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    TRY IT! You will LOVE it! I have been going to classes for 3 weeks now and 3x a week. I would go every day if my body would let me...maybe in time. Sometimes there are some moves i just cannot master no matter what and when that happens i just keep moving and shimmying my hips. Just keep moving. I assure you that no one is looking at you or watching you and everyone in the class is not perfect either. I never feel so sexy as when i am doing Zumba . We even use some small hand weights in our classes with some routines.

I found several of the songs we use on Itunes and put them on my Ipod and i do them in my living room sometimes when i feel like moving.

I use a HRM with chest strap and my calorie burn is usually 500 or more in the hour class.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    TRY IT! You will LOVE it! I have been going to classes for 3 weeks now and 3x a week. I would go every day if my body would let me...maybe in time. Sometimes there are some moves i just cannot master no matter what and when that happens i just keep moving and shimmying my hips. Just keep moving. I assure you that no one is looking at you or watching you and everyone in the class is not perfect either. I never feel so sexy as when i am doing Zumba . We even use some small hand weights in our classes with some routines.

I found several of the songs we use on Itunes and put them on my Ipod and i do them in my living room sometimes when i feel like moving.

I use a HRM with chest strap and my calorie burn is usually 500 or more in the hour class.

Also , we do alot of toning as well....two of the instructors absolutely love to kill us with lots of squats and lunges.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yes! I just got back from Zumba! I go 3 times a week, its so much fun! I usually burn over 500 calories for an hour long long class, according to my heart rate monitor.
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    I am a Zumba addict! We do class 3 times a week for an 1 hour. I love it, once you try a class you will see a big drop in weight (over time) and muscle tone. It is working out, without really working out.