Protein friendly foods

Options
Morning all! I am not well educated to say the least in food and what it provides... other than the obvious - candy, cakes, sugars = pounds. I am coming up short on my daily goal intake of protein and fats and over on my carbs. I need to balance out my ratio. Any common food suggestions that would accomplish this? More pasta? Rice? Less oatmeal?

Replies

• Amberly10
    Amberly10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I was only watching the calories until today when I noticed some of my daily totals were red. I have plenty of calories left but am already over on my carbs and fat and still need protein.

However I made the mistake of eating some yellow rice today and drinking a Mt Dew. The carbs from those alone were ridiculous!! If you come up with any ideas let me know and I will do the same:)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Less pasta, rice and oatmeal, although all these foods are good for you they are all high in carbs but do contain quite a bit of proten so don't cut out, just cut down on them.

To increase protein try adding more dairy, Milk is high in protein, cottage cheese is great. Lean meat such as turkey, ham and chicken are all very high in protein and contain some fat, with pretty much no carbs. Most nuts are good as they contain good fats and have a good amount of protein. Hope this helps.
  • iamsimplyme2
    Options
    Quinoa is a really popular item that I've heard a lot about lately - cooks like rice, is actually a seed but has all the properties of a full protein. Another suggestion my be no skin chicken breast or ground turkey - both are high in protein and lower in fat than beef generally. Either can be made in to lettuce wraps - good luck!
  • rkbrown0402
    Options
    Thank you - will give it a go.
  • churchsinger
    Options
    Here's a list I found on this website: http://www.weightlossforall.com/protein_content_from_good_source.htm

List of High Protein Foods from Natural Sources

EGGS ( 1 medium size ) 6 grams 0 g

MILK ( 1 pint or 568ml) 19 grams 24 g

MILK ( 1 glass ) 6.3 grams 8 g

SOYA MILK Plain (200 ml) 6 grams 1.6 g

TOFU (100 g) 8 grams 0.8 g

LOW-FAT YOGHURT (plain) 150g 8 grams 10 g

LOW-FAT YOGHURT (fruit) 150g 6 grams 27 g

FISH (cod fillets 100g or 3.5 ounces) 21 grams 0 g

CHEESE cheddar 100g (3.5 ounces) 25 grams 0.1 g

ROAST BEEF ( 100g or 3.5 ounces ) 28 grams 0 g

ROAST CHICKEN 100g ( 3.5 ounces) 25 grams 0 g

OTHER MEATS AVERAGE (100g or 3.5 ounces) 25 grams 0 g
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options
    Fish - tuna (both canned and steaks), salmon, and herring are all fantastic sources of protein, Omega 3 EFAs, and Vit. D.
    Chicken, poultry - high in protein, typically quite lean.
    Beef or bison, pref. grass fed. Try a lean ground (90/10), flank steaks, london broil, and a good chuck roast.
    Pork tenderloin, chops - lean, high in protein, tasty.
    Lamb - if you're looking to shake things up, give it a shot.

All of the above....zero carb, high protein, and a source of B vitamins and iron.

Dairy is good, but keep in mind it does add carbohydrate and naturally occurring milk sugar (lactose).

When consuming any grains, aim for those with higher fiber counts to offset the carbohydrates. Try wild rice, quinoa, or couscous.
  • Amberly10
    Options
    Fish - tuna (both canned and steaks), salmon, and herring are all fantastic sources of protein, Omega 3 EFAs, and Vit. D.
    Chicken, poultry - high in protein, typically quite lean.
    Beef or bison, pref. grass fed. Try a lean ground (90/10), flank steaks, london broil, and a good chuck roast.
    Pork tenderloin, chops - lean, high in protein, tasty.
    Lamb - if you're looking to shake things up, give it a shot.

All of the above....zero carb, high protein, and a source of B vitamins and iron.

Dairy is good, but keep in mind it does add carbohydrate and naturally occurring milk sugar (lactose).

When consuming any grains, aim for those with higher fiber counts to offset the carbohydrates. Try wild rice, quinoa, or couscous.

Great ideas!! I will definitely be adding these to my meals. I've been wanting to try couscous for awhile now but have never made it. I will pick some up the next time I am out:)
  • Amberly10
    Options
    Here's a list I found on this website: http://www.weightlossforall.com/protein_content_from_good_source.htm

List of High Protein Foods from Natural Sources

EGGS ( 1 medium size ) 6 grams 0 g

MILK ( 1 pint or 568ml) 19 grams 24 g

MILK ( 1 glass ) 6.3 grams 8 g

SOYA MILK Plain (200 ml) 6 grams 1.6 g

TOFU (100 g) 8 grams 0.8 g

LOW-FAT YOGHURT (plain) 150g 8 grams 10 g

LOW-FAT YOGHURT (fruit) 150g 6 grams 27 g

FISH (cod fillets 100g or 3.5 ounces) 21 grams 0 g

CHEESE cheddar 100g (3.5 ounces) 25 grams 0.1 g

ROAST BEEF ( 100g or 3.5 ounces ) 28 grams 0 g

ROAST CHICKEN 100g ( 3.5 ounces) 25 grams 0 g

OTHER MEATS AVERAGE (100g or 3.5 ounces) 25 grams 0 g

I love eggs but had cut them out of breakfast because I was trying the Special K Challenge. I think that I will go back to the eggs though because I am really low in protein. Thanks:)