BMR help!

Options
I'm sorry if their are lots of other posts about this, but I really need help! After some research, I would like to figure out what my BMR is. I have checked a few websites and always get another number! Here are my stats: height 5'4", female, weight: 181 lbs, and I workout 4-5 times a week. Also, any advice like do I eat back my calories? Thanks!

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Just go to the TOOLS section here on Myfitnesspal, and there is a calculator. Unless the variations from site to site are huge (more than 100 or so calories give or take) it is because BMR is in a range based on age, sex, height and weight. Some are at the lower end of the range, others at the upper end. Usually the number given is pretty much in the middle.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    How much you work out shouldn't affect your BMR, which is how many calories your body needs to stay alive/healthy. There are a bunch of different formulas to estimate BMR, but they should give you results within a fairly narrow range. It is safe to assume that, if you work out regularly, and consume 500 calories fewer per day than you use, that you will be eating above your BMR, which is important for both health and weight loss reasons.
  • Icaw
    Icaw Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I follow this and it's working pretty well for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Merithyn/view/eat-more-weigh-less-demystified-293364

I try to ensure that everyday I eat up to my BMR. However, I try not to eat back calories from exercise unless I'm actually hungry. I am wary of MFP's predictions for calories burned. I think they are all too high. If you are going to eat back calories only eat back 70% of what MFP claims you burned.
  • Ricalde
    Ricalde Posts: 15
    Options
    Ok I will look at the tools. Thanks
  • Ricalde
    Ricalde Posts: 15
    Options
    OoO thanks for the link!