"if every day ...", does MFP ever get it right?

Options
2»

Replies

• queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they ever get it right, but I ate more today than ever before, about 1400 plus calories, and it said I would weigh lower than it has ever said before. Of course i won't eat the same tomorrow, but I thought it was interesting on the first day that I didn't starve myself, MfP said I would weight the least in five weeks.

Proves to me that we don't have to eat too little to lose weight.

Proves to me that the system is botched

How could eating MORE make you lose more weight? It makes no scientific sense one little bit.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Nope, cuz most of us dont eat the same and workout the same every day =)
    This!!
    No 2 days are ever really the same. So I exercise a load one day and eat ok and it says in 5 weeks I'll be 129lb woohoo!!
    But then next day I have a rest day and eat 200 over cos I have some wine and then it says I'll be 134lb - hmmm

Better it says if every week was like the last 7 days then you be likely be...............
    Much more useful.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    For the first couple of months mine was pretty accurate. Now, it's not even close. I've been stuck at the same weight for about 8 weeks now and that "if every day..." number makes me want to scratch my eyes out.

Exactly my thoughts. Isn't it maddeningly frustrating? I scream at the line "If every day were like today you would weigh 106lb in 5 weeks" as it is a total load of rubbish.
    I have been doing this for a looooong time, and I am nowhere near that!!!! :noway: :cry:
  • cmorris0283
    cmorris0283 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For the first couple of months mine was pretty accurate. Now, it's not even close. I've been stuck at the same weight for about 8 weeks now and that "if every day..." number makes me want to scratch my eyes out.

What she said! :S
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they ever get it right, but I ate more today than ever before, about 1400 plus calories, and it said I would weigh lower than it has ever said before. Of course i won't eat the same tomorrow, but I thought it was interesting on the first day that I didn't starve myself, MfP said I would weight the least in five weeks.

How could eating MORE make you lose more weight? It makes no scientific sense one little bit.

It is true "eat more to weigh less." Eat more of the right foods. You will gain if you eat more McDs or sweets, etc, but if you eat more healthy foods (skip the processed), you will see weight decrease. Now, I'm not saying you should gorge yourself. Eat healthy until you are full. That is the general idea.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Every single time someone asks this, I look at their diary and they do NOT eat the same amount every day. It's like no one understands the word "if".
  • sarah6336
    sarah6336 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It has been accurate for me. I even went on vacation and didn't track for 5 weeks... When I logged back in after I got home and weighed-in, my weight was what mfp predicted. If your numbers aren't matching up, you may need to look at what you are entering into the database for mfp to make its calculations.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    No you're metabolism isnt "slowing down". Starvation mode isnt a thing unless you are 0% body fat....

wtf are you on brother? 0% body fat means you are not in 'starvation mode', it means you're dead!

I just love people throwing around terms they have no idea about. :huh:

^^^THIS. lol. I was so confused by what he said. I just knew he couldn't be serious
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It's based on eating the same calorie amount every day, even as little as 100 or 200 extra calories can make a big difference in the number it gives you.

I personally hope I lose more than MFP estimates... taking 5 weeks to lose 2.8 kg seems pretty depressing. :\
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Every single time someone asks this, I look at their diary and they do NOT eat the same amount every day. It's like no one understands the word "if".

well, if you look at my net calories, they are pretty consistent, I have been upping a bit to my BMR level, but other than that I have been pretty consistent since may.

I don't do the same workout every day, so the amount of calories I consume needs to be adjusted accordingly.
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    I dont pay attention to mine because I eat different amounts each day and exercise different amounts
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

The concept of eating more is not a free for all at a buffet. Most people (myself included) have a BMR that is over 1200. When you eat below your BMR (the bare minimum of calories needed to keep your organs functioning if you were in a coma!) you run the risk of doing extreme damage to your body (whether you can see if or not). My TDEE is 2706 (the number of calories for my body to maintain my weight right now) and I am eating at 1600 calories. Quite a deficit, but not so low that my body will eventually stop losing and shut down. At the least, I would get so hungry that I would give up and quit. What I have done many times in the past.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The MFP equation doesn't hold true because 1) weight loss is not linear and 2) humans are not machines. The simple math can be skewed by hormonal fluctuations, electrolyte balance, water/glycogen retention due to exercise (which can vary according to what type of exercise/how intense/how often) and a host of other things. Setting your deficit to lose 1 pound a week, for example, is no guarantee that you'll actually lose 1 pound a week. In addition to the above factors, your metabolic rate may be different than what the algorithms calculate, you may be over- or underestimating caloric burn from exercise and/or caloric intake from foods, etc. It isn't always going to go like clockwork.