Fitbit: Is it worth $100?

Options
I have a decent pedometer but am interested in the Fitbit, partially for the sleep monitor function. It seems like a handy device, but I've read some mixed reviews. Also, I'm not sure I'll use it long term. I wore my pedometer all the time when I first got it, but once I figured out my baseline, I rarely use it anymore. Anyone have one who'd like to share an opinion?

Replies

• vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    To me it is and was. I love Fitzy, and it has made a world of difference for me.
  • alfpalmer
    alfpalmer Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    absolutely
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    personally, i don't think it's worth it. also, nearly everyone i know who had one lost it. i think the only reason i haven't is because i'm always home (but it's certainly fallen off unexpectedly at home)
    the sleep function thing is interesting, but loses its appeal after about a week.

the fitbit seems so useful and interesting and motivating, but in my experience it's not! more motivating is a heart rate monitor which gives an accurate assessment of your exercise calorie burn and pushes you to stay "in your zone".
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    No it'll be your pedometer story all over again. Download an app that fits your needs. MapMyFitness if you want to track workouts, and miles etc. Don't waste your money unless your sure
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    I have really been wanting a fitbit and was going to buy one this week, but I bought clothes instead. :smile: I have been successful with weight loss, so, while I think that the feedback from the fitbit would be interesting, it isn't something that would be essential to my weight loss. My closets; however, are pretty void of clothes that fit me nicely so I spent the $100 on that instead. I can't wait to wear my new outfit!!
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have one. I've worn it every day and night since I got it. It constantly fascinates me lol. I don't do aerobics or much cardio activity, apart from walking, so I basically work out what I should be eating based on the number of steps I take on any given day. If I've gone above my 'usual' number, then I allow myself a treat.I love the sleep log on it too lol. I don't intend to do exercise to lose weight that I KNOW I won't keep up forever, so my weight loss is based primarily on food intake and walking the dog, and some weight lifting. I'm not a runner, so my heart rate is neither here nor there. I know when I've done a good walk with the dog and we're both puffed lol. Then my fitbit kicks in and I love seeing how many steps we've done. Not sure if that's any help to you.
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I love mine and would not be without it........its great to see your steps, floors etc. I would not buy it for the sleep function though. That is probably more of a gimmick. The fitbit is nothing like a normal pedometer - so much more.
    You can read my blog on it - says what I think of it
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KahuNZ
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit but to be honest I never use the sleep function. I've used it daily since I bought it in February. I snapped my belt clip and was mailed another, no questions asked. When I worked as a CNA I easily got over 14,000 steps a day, but now that I'm a full time student and I work, mostly sitting, in a laboratory it has become a helpful too. I don't have a lot of time right now for a lot of exercise and my fit bit lets me know how I'm doing. Days I think I was super active I'll see I only hit 6,000 so it helps me to move more. I work 8 hours a day and study up to 6 hrs a day. The fitbit made me see just how inactive I can easily be so for my situation, yes. It really was worth the money.
  • jshinoff
    jshinoff Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It doesn't integrate automatically with this site but the Nike Fuel Band works great and is easy to wear/use (won't fall off etc...). I highly recommend it.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think so.
    I would rather a heart rate monitor.

I do think they're neat gadgets, but I probably wouldn't pay more then 50 for it personally.

I also just use iphone apps like Mapmyfitness (well, technically I use the mapmydogwalk one) haha.
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend and I both have one, and we love ours. We joke about buying an extra to have on hand if one ours breaks, because we are not sure how we would function without it. We have had other pedometers and fitness tracker programs on phones and hand-held gaming consoles, but this has been our favorite so far.
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It doesn't integrate automatically with this site but the Nike Fuel Band works great and is easy to wear/use (won't fall off etc...). I highly recommend it.

What do you mean it doesn't integrate automatically? It totally does!
  • lollilady
    lollilady Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i had same doubts when i learned about fitbit and thought it was expensive i suppose it depends on how much u want to lose weight in the end i bought one and its the best decision i ever made when i see the steps, calories and floors mounting up it motivates me even more i even use the sleep function it links with quite a few sites ,if mine ever broke now i would be lost
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Sorry but Fitbit does sync with MFP
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE mine and would not be without it. It has motivated me to move more than anything else I have used. I have had pedometers in the past...none of them could hold a candle to the Fitbit! It was the best money ever spent!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Yes! It was worth it for me. I actually paid $120 for it (Aus) and dont regret a thing. I wear it daily and sleep with it at night. It gives me a great indication of my calorie intake for the day, how active I am/going to be and how many steps I take. Its a great motivator and also a great little tool to track TDEE. I would recommend anyone to use it who is just starting out with walking/running, wanting to track their activity and TDEE. Love love love love love it! So worth it.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    For me it was well worth it, within a month I had increased my daily steps from 2500 to 10,000. My main exercise is walking. I also increased my stair climbs to a minimum of 20 a day.

If a lot of your exercise is not walking or running, you will need to manually enter it, and it may not be as convenient.

If you have a sedentary lifestyle or sit a lot at work, it may show you how inactive you are and motivate changes.
  • musiche
    musiche Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I got a BodyMedia Fit Armband about a month ago. It's rated the most accurate of its kind on the market, 95% accurate. I absolutely LOVE it. The information I have obtained from this little device is so incredibly eye opening!!! I realized how much cardio machines lie to us, and in the worst way possible. I haven't been on one machine yet, treadmill, elliptical, bike, that wasn't a hundred calories + inflated after half an hour. Awful!!

The Fit Armband measures your sleep habits too, how efficient your sleep is, it has a database like MFP and software that logs everything, and it has bluetooth to input all of that data on your phone so you can see it in real time. I do my workouts and see how many calories I really am burning every minute, it's GREAT.

I am a very active person, I workout 5-6 days per week, I walk a lot and I am a gardener, so I get a ton of exercise. I was eating 1400 calories before and had NO IDEA I was burning about 3300 calories per day. I had plateaued for months and I suspected that my calories were outta whack. I just had no idea they were THAT out of whack!!! My deficit was insane and I was in starvation mode for sure, despite not feeling hungry or wanting to eat more (I had adapted to low calorie life). I now eat 2500 calories per day and I feel insanely better, and I haven't gained, in fact I lost a bit a couple weeks after increasing my calories. I am currently in flux with those couple I lost because my body is still recovering from my messed up metabolism (it's going to take a while to repair) but I am definitely feeling 10x better than I was a couple of months ago - physically AND mentally. The information that that armband has given me has really opened my eyes and I feel like change is possible again, now that I'm not blindly leading myself down the wrong path.

I highly recommend calorie/metabolism monitors to anyone, simply for the reason that we are not all the same. There is no way in hell that "Never eat less than 1200 calories" would apply to my lifestyle, I couldn't even do 1400. I still have 30 pounds to lose (after 65+) and the deficit I used to use just doesn't work anymore.

Knowledge is power - empower yourself to make the right, informed choices for yourself!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I lost over 60 pounds using it.

Was it worth it?

Hell, yeah!