Need Support

Options
Hi guys
I joined MFP ages ago, but have only started using it regularly in July. I'm 14lbs down, which is great, but my fitness sucks. I'm 5foot4 and weigh an abysmal 238lbs (started at 253).
I want to train for an olympic length triathlon next September, but I can't run or ride a bike and I'm too fat for swimming at the moment haha (well, not really, just scared about being seen in public).
Anyhow, I just wanted to say hi and say, please add me if you have similar goals. I've got about 130lbs to lose and it's scary and hard and I don't want to quit (like I always do).
Thanks everyone! :bigsmile:

Replies

• KrispieKaos
    Options
    I'm very similar to you. I started at 122 lbs. I'm 5'4 as well. I felt like a beached whale. Between MFP and the weight I lost before joining I've officially lost 30 lbs. I have a long way to go,but it's worth it! I'll add you. Together we can do it!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I was already a swimmer, but if you aren't, I'd tackle that first. You can always ride a bike slow or walk during the run. You can't just stop and rest during the swim leg.

I did C25K (or at least something similar to it) and took it very slow building up distance. Once I had the ability to finish the run, I focused on bike for a while, then went back to increasing speed on the run, then went back to focusing on efficiency on the bike.

I'm still swimming the same speed as I was when I did my first sprint - I just can't seem to make my tired old body swim any faster. :laugh:

For me, registering for the race way in advance was the motivation I needed to keep training, and training for something was the motivation I needed to eat right. Domino effect in a way...

Good luck - stay at it and remember that slow build is the right way to train and slow weight loss is the right way to achieve healthy weight.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I think swimming would be the best thing to work on next; if you're self-conscious about being in a swimsuit, do laps in a t-shirt and shorts, until the time comes when you can unveil your hot new bod and strut it out at the pool! You've already come so far, don't give up!

Good luck!
  • JessieBarkhouse
    Options
    Hey! I know how you feel about joining ages ago, but I'm a little behind you - meaning I just decided to recommit myself to this. I stopped because I had been going for about two months, was hungry and dying for eating normally AND I was the same weight as when I started! It discouraged me a lot, so I quit - which was obviously the wrong thing to do. After I spent more time with God, my trust in Him built, and instead of relying on ME to do all the changes I put it in His hands and decided not to worry about it. (After all, what would worrying about it do?!) Course, that was only about a day ago, so I have yet to see it work, but I know that it will! All things are possible with Him. I'll be praying for your weight loss everyday! =) I've added you if you want me to be your friend! God bless!
    Jessie <3
  • Kellyhughett
    Kellyhughett Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can add me! I like to give and receive encouragement.
  • msteresao
    msteresao Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just started also I weighed 267 a couple weeks ago height 5'4 , I'm down 11 lbs. I hope to lose over 100 pounds. Hang in there we can both do it