Where do I start?

Options
I just joined this morning. I am turning 50 next month, have sold my business and am now "retired" from the timeclock.
Sounds great! Lots of free time, no excuses, except getting started. I had been thin my entire life....until I hit about 40-42 then I started adding pounds here and there. Doesn't help that I owned a resturant for 10 years!! Although I was thinner when I had the business, go figure. Must have been the stress.
So my question is "What do I do first?" "Where do I start?"
I am not even telling anyone I am trying AGAIN because every time I try I quit.
I would LOVE to loose 25-30 lbs but have no idea how to start. The only plan I've ever done is WW and I loose SOOOOO slow on that one, I mean like 1/4 & 1/2 lb per week , no wonder I quit. I am female 5' 10" and .........173lbs !!!!!!!!! My mother doesn't even know how much I weigh!
I'm asking for suggestions and willing to learn
Thank you

Replies

• iamsimplyme2
    Options
    Find a friend. Maybe not someone in your current circle. When I began trying to make regular exercise a part of my weekly routine I actually found someone through this site that was in my area and looking for the same. We made a schedule and committed to meeting one another, like making an appointment. We first started with walking back in April, added biking and even ran a 5k together in October. We continue to try many different athletic things (ie recently we bother tried cross country skiing - great workout!) and we often share recipes. We've since become great friends and it's a realtionship that was based on a common interest in healthly living...
  • amymcd
    amymcd Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey, you sound a lot like me. I am going to be 50 in April, recently left a high stress job of 9 years and am at loose ends for the moment. I am 5'8", 173# - yikes! My goal is 134 which I have been around most of my adult life, until like you I hit 40-42 and then I started going up by about 15# per year.