The very squishy science of counting calories

Options
Don't know if this has already been posted so here's a link to an interesting article about how the calorie content of some foods may be different in our bodies than in the laboratory:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/08/04/the-very-squishy-science-of-counting-calories/

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    When I first read that study about the almonds, I was definitely curious about how the same principle might apply to other foods... interesting!
  • RodSurly
    RodSurly Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Certainly makes one wonder about other foods, avocados for example.
  • camiah
    camiah Posts: 146
    Options
    Interesting. I'd never thought about how much of the food was absorbed by the body. I knew calorie counting was pretty squishy, but I'd never thought about that aspect of it before. I wonder if there is individual variation in how much is absorbed, or if there was a pretty constant amount between subjects. I might have to track down this study.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Interesting but I wonder if absorption rate is individual?
  • mainelymama
    Options
    I know that calorie counting is not exact, but it is the best method I have of controlling my food intake. Bigger portions/Junk food tend to be higher in the lab calories, so I eat less. It's psychological. If believing that eating 1 more piece of pizza is going to put me over, and I don't do it, then that's effective to me, regardless of whether the number at the end of the day is exact.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    When I do count my calories, it's more about accountability and awareness than exactness (is that a word?). We are constantly learning how much we *don't* know about nutrition and food.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    It's all relative and estimations anyways. That's why I always add or take away calories based on percentages.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Very cool article, thanks for sharing. It really does give credence to the idea that a calorie is not just a calorie, and eating a healthy diet is better than eating a low-calorie one of junk food.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    When I do count my calories, it's more about accountability and awareness than exactness (is that a word?). We are constantly learning how much we *don't* know about nutrition and food.

Agree. Not just food but exercise. But as long as I'm aware and accountable, I can figure out where things are and aren't working and adjust accordingly.
  • RodSurly
    RodSurly Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    While this article appealed to my "inner bean-counter" I fully agreed that counting calories and choosing wisely is an effective tool to losing and maintaining. :smile:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Certainly, the notion that the energy released by burning it not being the same as that digested isn't new! In my chemistry lesson in 1985, my teacher warned me that it wasn't the same as digested calories when we burnt a peanut.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    That's an interesting article. I'm kind of sad that the body doesn't fully absorb all the nutrients.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Interesting read, thanks
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    oh this just made my day!! i <3 nuts. i think i'll try limiting them less and see what happens to my waistline ;)