Easy to Cook Alternative to Salads & Sandwiches Anyone ?

Options
Basically I'm getting sick of having various salads and sandwiches day in day out. I can't cook a lot and I tend to have a big meal in the evenings (mum insists on cooking for all of us so I don't have a say in that) has anyone got any good lunch ideas that aren't too complex and light but filling ... if that makes sense? A lot to ask I know but if anyone has any ideas ... shoot :)

Replies

• mainelymama
    Options
    If sodium is not an issue you could do lunch meat and cheese rollups. so simple. lay down meat, put a slice of cheese on top and roll it up. can even put some mustard on it
  • Beelishy
    Beelishy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tins of soup? Jacket potato (can do it in the microwave) with baked beans or a sprinkling of cheese? Ryvitas with various toppings? Wraps? Good luck! :)
  • hecham
    hecham Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I suppose this is a salad, but not a traditional one so I'll throw the idea out there: Mix quinoa with some fruits or veggies for a quick quinoa salad that will last for days in the fridge. Serve in an avocado half for a quick lunch.
  • Cathy_Daydreams
    Options
    If sodium is not an issue you could do lunch meat and cheese rollups. so simple. lay down meat, put a slice of cheese on top and roll it up. can even put some mustard on it

Sorry if I sound really thick, but what do you mean by 'roll up'?
    Like a wrap ?
  • Cathy_Daydreams
    Options
    Tins of soup? Jacket potato (can do it in the microwave) with baked beans or a sprinkling of cheese? Ryvitas with various toppings? Wraps? Good luck! :)

Thank you and I guess I could try jacket potatoes :) and I have tried wraps in the past and I find that if I make them myself it never works out so I prefer to buy them if I fancy one. Not very economical but ..
  • Cathy_Daydreams
    Options
    I suppose this is a salad, but not a traditional one so I'll throw the idea out there: Mix quinoa with some fruits or veggies for a quick quinoa salad that will last for days in the fridge. Serve in an avocado half for a quick lunch.

I've never heard of this before :) thanks for the suggestion
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been putting together a variety of individual foods for lunch - like, a hardboiled egg, a piece of string cheese, some berries, etc. Or if your mum makes a LOT of food for dinner, could you save a bit for lunch the next day?
  • mainelymama
    Options

Like a wrap ?

kind of but just made with 1 piece of meat 1 piece of cheese and roll it up as if it were a wrap

edit: like this: http://content.everydayhealth.com/wte3.0/gcms/pg-turkey-roll.jpg
  • Cathy_Daydreams
    Options
    Lately I've been putting together a variety of individual foods for lunch - like, a hardboiled egg, a piece of string cheese, some berries, etc. Or if your mum makes a LOT of food for dinner, could you save a bit for lunch the next day?

That's a good idea actually, mum gets really uptight about having to waste food and stuff so it'll at least cut down on the arguments :) Thanks x
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I make a batch of soup at the weekend and then bring to work with me in a thermos for the rest of the week, it keeps just fine. This week I'm making this one: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1907/pea-and-mint-soup-
  • Cathy_Daydreams
    Options

Like a wrap ?

kind of but just made with 1 piece of meat 1 piece of cheese and roll it up as if it were a wrap

edit: like this: http://content.everydayhealth.com/wte3.0/gcms/pg-turkey-roll.jpg

Oh right I get it now ... feeel a little silly :L
    and that's a brilliant idea, I might try that when we have some left over meat in the house.
    Thank you
  • Cathy_Daydreams
    Options
    I make a batch of soup at the weekend and then bring to work with me in a thermos for the rest of the week, it keeps just fine. This week I'm making this one: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1907/pea-and-mint-soup-

It looks brilliant, I hope you enjoy it.
    Unfortunatley soup is one thing I've never liked ... I'm a bit awkward like that, I think it's the warm feeling down your throat I'm not keen on because I don't drink, tea, coffee or hot chocolate either.
    It's a good suggestion though and I hope someone else finds it useful :)
  • smsgreaves
    smsgreaves Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Pita bread pizza is my favourite, the pita bread is about 100cal and I add a little bit of tomato paste and then mushroom, zucchini, baby spinach, 97% fat free ham, pineapple and lite cheese, yummo!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    start visiting cooking blog pages!! Skinnytaste, Emily Bites and so many more! They have fab ideas that are waist friendly lol!! :D
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    What about some soups or stews...maybe some meats and veggies. I like to saute some chicken with broccoli and cauliflower add a little water and fat free cream cheese...
  • abetterjune
    Options
    crock pot soups. Throw whatever chopped veggies you've got, any lean meat, and a handful of spices in the night before, turn on low, in the morning you've got fresh hot soup to put in a thermos for work or whatever. crock pots are a dime a dozen at thrift stores, and small ones go for like $10-30 at target and similar stores. If you make a big batch, you can freeze in individual serving size containers, too, so you don't get sick of the same soup.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Pasta, in small portions. You don't need that much to fill you up. Soups and "stoups" (stew/soup, thicker and heartier). Casseroles are easy peasy and leaves you with leftovers so you can use them for multiple days!
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Food Blogs I love:
    http://ohsheglows.com/
    http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/
    http://glutenfreegirl.com/
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/
    xgfx.org

Some are more involved than others, the Vegan blogs (ohsheglows & xgfx.org) have a lot of simple recipes because they does a lot of raw food.

I'd seriously suggest you check out food blogs and fitness blogs on tumblr if you're looking for easy meal ideas, also, maybe ask your mom if you can help prepare dinner some nights and have a recipe or two to go off of, make sure you and your mom coordinate recipes so you know you have all of the ingredients.
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    how about an 'open face sandwich' here is one of my favorites. so, so, tasty.

1 slice whole wheat or jack sprat bread
    philadelphia garden vegetable cream cheese
    6 slices cucumber
    4 slices tomato
    thinly sliced onion
    avocado

toast your bread and just slather on a serving of the cream cheese (2 tbs)
    then build your sandwich. it is d e l i c i o u s and so good for you.

Calories: 258, Carbs: 25g, Fat: 13g, Protein: 6g, Fiber: 7g, Sodium: 306mg
  • pippinboy9
    pippinboy9 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    something I've been doing a lot lately is having a load (2 cups) of mixed raw veggies and dipping them in a "tuna salad"....for the tuna I take a can of tuna (in water) drain it completely, then add either 1tbsp of mayo, or ranch dressing, or cottage cheese etc....add in different spices that I like and voila...instant, and portable lunch with protein and veggies!!!! You could use hummus instead of the tuna.....just throwing that out there.