A few questions

Options
So getting back into working out has been hard and I've run into a few issues that I was hoping for some help on...

1) my old Ipod with all my music died and I can't get my workout music back and i'm highly motivated by music and while I have an iphone i was wondering if there are any good apps that have workout music so I don't have to pay a lot (Or free would be nice) to get good workout music?

2) Also which pedometer and workout apps (besides MFP) do you like and why?

3) Which headphones work for you and why? Ear buds don't like to stay in my ear

4) Anything else that has really helped keep you motivated?
5) Why are you getting fit?

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    spotify has workout playlists. sadly, it has ads unless you pay $10/month
    i use a fitbit and an HRM
    i use earbuds that have memory foam. they never fall out of my ears!

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX35P-Soft-Marshmallow-headphone/dp/B0036RFMCK/ref=pd_sim_e_8 these are similar to mine..

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-G45LP-Street-Neckband-Headphones/dp/B0015AFVBC/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344147583&sr=1-2&keywords=behind+the+head+headphones
    i've also used these
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    my Anthony bought me a 30 buck mp3 touch screen which rocks
    I use a HRM he bougt for my b day
    I use old school head phones, I don't like those ear plugs either lol
    workout cause I need to! I like to wear smaller cuter clothes!! Feeling heavy suuucks!!
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    1) spotify or pandora
    2. HRM or MapMyFitness app
    3. I use sport head phones
    4. Work out with a friend, we listen to our own music but just competing with someone pushes me harder
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I dnt use ear buds I just play iheart radio on my iPhone & stick it in my hoody ;) lol
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I bought a 20 buck 8 gig mp3 from Wally World, I don't have a pedometer yet, I use a pair that hook around the back side of my ear, motivated by friends here, I need to lose to keep from dying.
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    I like to listen to music too, but lately I have been listening to podcasts as well. There are a lot of interesting/free ones out there. I've been listening to fat2fitradio podcasts quite a bit while I work out lately.

I like mapmyrun.com. You can enter your zip code and get a map to map out your workout; it tells you distances and calories burned. You can also track food on it. It looks like it has some neat features, but I haven't had a chance to play with it too much.

I have ear buds that kind of wrap around my ears. They were a little pricey, but I've had them for about a year, and they were well worth it.

My motivational factors have changed a lot over the last year. First it was about feeling and looking good. Then once I lost 50+ pounds, my children's pride really motivated me. Last spring they each told me stories at various times about friends/classmates that didn't recognize me because of my weight loss. Then I went through a period of time where it seemed like the topic of conversation whenever I saw someone was my weight loss, and, while I wasn't real comfortable with that, I knew that I didn't want the topic of conversation a year from now to be why I couldn't keep it off! I am just starting to really enjoy my new body and it's capabilities -- it's really just all for me!! I love the way that I look, and my new found stamina!
  • LeesieLuLu88
    LeesieLuLu88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    iHeartRadio is great free app for music. My earphones were always falling out so I got some that wrap around your ear at Target. If you like to ride bikes RideTracker is a great app. It tells how fast your going, distance, etc. And I also bought a Iphone holder for my bike through Amazon. It's alot of fun because you can have your music going on your Iphone while having the BikeTracker app on.
    As for me, I'm getting fit because I'm wasting my life away being this way. I'm not happy with myself and things I can do are so limited. It's time to change and actually start living.
  • Riley0617
    Riley0617 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love hearing why others are getting fit. It's so inspirational!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Pandora is free and now has workout stations (I like Alternative Endurance Radio). However, it's like radio and you can't play a particular song. I was using Spotify (which is $10/month) but recently found that I prefer Grooveshark because of a better selection and less bugs/downtime (but have only used it on my laptop and haven't paid for the mobile version yet, I think it's $9/month). Also, on Grooveshark, you can do surveys to earn the premium service, so you can get it for free at least some months.
  • running0girl
    Options
    Hey Riley!

Apps I like pandora for music and cardio trainer for a fitness app other than MFP.

What helps me when I don't feel like working out? One (and I got this from AJ Jacobs' book "Drop Dead Healthy"), I used an app to age my face to see what i'd look like when i'm older. When I need help being healthy, I look at future me and decide to be healthy for my future self.

Two, and the main reason i'm getting fit now, is that i'm running a half marathon for charity and running in honor of child who battled and beat cancer. I want to run really well and think of her if I need motivation.

Good luck :D
  • qwertykira
    Options
    Hey, I only use my iPod nano when I'm walking with my pre-made playlists, a lot of hip-hop and dubstep keeps me energized and walking in time to it.

I haven't gotten out my basic pedometer yet, just basing my distance on time has been good to get started again so far as a fast stroll is about 6km/hr, and I fluctuate between 4-6km/hour when I walk. I check my distance walking on Google Maps. I guess a smart phone would come in handy at this point but I have all the same resources, just in different devices!

I'm getting fit to keep my energy levels rising and to keep my body healthy - I've always been overweight but now that I'm another year older it's hit home that the longer I'm overweight the higher the risk of heart disease, diabetes or other high blood pressure and weight related problems can occur. With my islander background it's an even higher risk for me, so sorting my lifestyle out now in my 20s will help me in the future!
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    1, Pandora!! You choose the music for your mood. I especially like "flogging molly radio" for high- paced activities- nothing like Irish Rock to get you moving, and the story-songs are hilarious.
    2. Apps: Runkeeper if I am walking/running/hiking/etc outside. Pocket Trainer for the gym or working out at home.
    3. I wanna be stronger- I went to Multnomah Falls (a vertical 1 mile hike) with my extremely fit boyfriend and I felt sooo lame because I had to stop several times to catch my breath. My goal is 25lbs by November when he's taking me for my first trip to Hawaii...

All the best to you on our mutual journey!
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I recently started using Spotify and I love it. Paying the $10 a month for no ads and no limit on what you can play on your iphone "offline" is totally worth it.

The comment about pocasts has caught my attention. Migh be nice to switch from music every once in awhile.

Good luck!