What am I doing wrong?

Options
What am I doing wrong? The way my goals are set up, I should be losing 1.5 to 2 pounds per week... But I'm only losing 1 every couple of weeks recently and it's getting frustrating!

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't know because your diary is private so we can't see what you are eating and/or exercising.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not a linear process, or even one that makes a lot of logical sense to us (in the way we think it should). Your body does not know how fast you want to lose weight, nor does it view things on the timeline you do. A couple weeks is nothing to a body capable of living a hundred years, even if it seems like an eternity to us.

You're going in the right direction; forget about the speed. Once you get there, you'll never think about the fact that it took a month or two longer way back when.
  • gemmalouise85
    gemmalouise85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    hey, your not doing anything 'wrong' your trying and are losing so well done :D

how much weight would you like to lose? how much do you currently weigh?
    how are you losing weigh?
  • jcbgrange
    jcbgrange Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My diary is open now. I thought it already was, sorry.
  • jcbgrange
    Options

I weigh 165 right now. Trying to get to 130 - 140.
    I'm following the program set up on here as much as I can and burning my calories on the elliptical, bike riding, and Zumba. I try to do a circuit training of some kind every once in a while. Maybe I need to do them more often?
  • jcbgrange
    Options

I weigh 165 right now. Trying to get to 130 - 140.
    I'm following the program set up on here as much as I can and burning my calories on the elliptical, bike riding, and Zumba. I try to do a circuit training of some kind every once in a while. Maybe I need to do them more often?

And I have lost 21 lbs since I started in November of 2011.
  • gemmalouise85
    gemmalouise85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i know to you might be slow but your doing amazing!
    21lbs is a huge amount be proud.

maybe your body as got so used to the routine just try changing few things for a week see what happens
    eat more veg than usual.
    do you weight everything religiously?
    when i started i tried finding food via food finder and some of the calories was way off
    so now i log everything i eat myself and noticed the difference.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A couple of things. First you dont have much to lose so you cant lose 2 lbs per week. You need to aim for 1lb max. Also, if you exercise you need to eat more. I suspect you will lose more around 1700 calories that what is happening now. Body needs fuel to burn. Also your protein is very low and you arent eating the best stuff. If you drop carbs to 35% and up protein to 40% it might help. Also try to stay away from processed foods and fast foods and quick adds.

Also how tall are you and whata your age.
  • jcbgrange
    Options
    A couple of things. First you dont have much to lose so you cant lose 2 lbs per week. You need to aim for 1lb max. Also, if you exercise you need to eat more. I suspect you will lose more around 1700 calories that what is happening now. Body needs fuel to burn. Also your protein is very low and you arent eating the best stuff. If you drop carbs to 35% and up protein to 40% it might help. Also try to stay away from processed foods and fast foods and quick adds.

I guess I do eat lots of crap with my good stuff, eh? If I go up to eating 1700 calories, should I be burning more than the 400 -500 a day that I'm currently aiming for? I'm 5'3" and 30 years old.
  • 512cheangela
    Options
    I bet if you add more hearty green vegetables, stop taking fake fiber, drinking fake sugars, and ease off the processed crap that weight will start melting off like crazy. You've come so far, 21 pounds is AWESOME! You look fabulous! Best wishes!
  • ItzPSGina62
    ItzPSGina62 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was on weight watchers for six weeks and lost nothing. I am glad the personal trainer at work took my measurements. I lost 14 inches. Nothing moved on the scale.
  • jcbgrange
    Options
    I bet if you add more hearty green vegetables, stop taking fake fiber, drinking fake sugars, and ease off the processed crap that weight will start melting off like crazy. You've come so far, 21 pounds is AWESOME! You look fabulous! Best wishes!

Stop taking the fiber?? I just started that last week because one of the friends on here told me that I needed to eat more of it. Gah.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You might feel better with more whole foods but you're not going to lose weight faster given identical calorie and macronutrient comparisons.

In my opinion as it pertains strictly to your weight loss, your goals are not reasonable. Expect to lose 1lb/week max and be happy with that result if you get there.
  • jcbgrange
    Options
    You might feel better with more whole foods but you're not going to lose weight faster given identical calorie and macronutrient comparisons.

In my opinion as it pertains strictly to your weight loss, your goals are not reasonable. Expect to lose 1lb/week max and be happy with that result if you get there.

In your opinion, what would be the reasonable goal? I'm still trying to figure all of this out.
  • JBV321
    JBV321 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What am I doing wrong? The way my goals are set up, I should be losing 1.5 to 2 pounds per week... But I'm only losing 1 every couple of weeks recently and it's getting frustrating!

I understand how that can be frustrating. I have been there. Don't let it discourage you. Just keep eating healthy and exercising and you will see results. Look at it this way, you didn't gain weight overnight so you certainly won't lose it overnight. It has taken me a little over a year to lose 42 lbs. You can do it!!! Consistency is key! Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. Good luck!
  • Sidesteal
    Options

In your opinion, what would be the reasonable goal? I'm still trying to figure all of this out.

Given your stats I would shoot for 1lb/week. That being said, regardless of whether you eat whole vs processed foods, I would increase your protein intake and reduce carbohydrate intake. I haven't done the math but just eyeballing it I'd think you'd be better off in the neighborhood of:

120p
    60f
    remainder in carbs
  • jcbgrange
    Options

Given your stats I would shoot for 1lb/week. That being said, regardless of whether you eat whole vs processed foods, I would increase your protein intake and reduce carbohydrate intake. I haven't done the math but just eyeballing it I'd think you'd be better off in the neighborhood of:

120p
    60f
    remainder in carbs

Please don't think of me as uneducated, but what did you just say?? What do those abbreviations mean?
  • Sidesteal
    Options

120p
    60f
    remainder in carbs

Please don't think of me as uneducated, but what did you just say?? What do those abbreviations mean?

I would increase protein grams to 120g, fat grams to 60g, and the remainder of your food intake should be carbs to reach your daily calorie limit. You should probably end up in the neighborhood of ~1600-1700kcals on average assuming you are counting calories accurately .

Please consider that I am estimating but it will probably be better than your default MFP settings.
  • jcbgrange
    Options

120p
    60f
    remainder in carbs

I would increase protein grams to 120g, fat grams to 60g, and the remainder of your food intake should be carbs to reach your daily calorie limit. You should probably end up in the neighborhood of ~1600-1700kcals on average assuming you are counting calories accurately .

Please consider that I am estimating but it will probably be better than your default MFP settings.

Ok. I understand. Thank you. I think I'll try that. Should I try burning more calories as well?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I guess I do eat lots of crap with my good stuff, eh? If I go up to eating 1700 calories, should I be burning more than the 400 -500 a day that I'm currently aiming for? I'm 5'3" and 30 years old.

Based on your stats and working out 5 days a week, you should be eating 1900 calories. I will say drop some of the cardio and increase weight training. This will help fat loss.