What am I doing wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheBooBooStew
    TheBooBooStew Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Do you see a dietician? That would be a good thing. They will be able to tell you what to set your calories, fat, carbs, etc too.

If you need more fiber try a good cereal for breakfast that is high in fiber. Make sure you are getting 2 servings of dairy a day, Like 2 yogurts or some skim milk. It has been shown that women that get 2 dairy a day will lose weight more. You might also get your vitamin D level checked, I have to take a prescription supplement for that from my physician.

Make sure your getting your veggies and fruit also. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/
    Is a good website.

Good luck :happy:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One additional thing, slowly up your calories. Add 200 calories a week until you hit your goal of around 1900.
  • jcbgrange
    jcbgrange Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A couple of things. First you dont have much to lose so you cant lose 2 lbs per week. You need to aim for 1lb max. Also, if you exercise you need to eat more. I suspect you will lose more around 1700 calories that what is happening now. Body needs fuel to burn. Also your protein is very low and you arent eating the best stuff. If you drop carbs to 35% and up protein to 40% it might help. Also try to stay away from processed foods and fast foods and quick adds.

Also how tall are you and whata your age.

I guess I do eat lots of crap with my good stuff, eh? If I go up to eating 1700 calories, should I be burning more than the 400 -500 a day that I'm currently aiming for? I'm 5'3" and 30 years old.

Based on your stats and working out 5 days a week, you should be eating 1900 calories. I will say drop some of the cardio and increase weight training. This will help fat loss.

I'm starting to see the train of thought here. I'm not fueling myself enough so I'm sticking myself into somewhat of a starvation mode, right? If I were to aim for 1900 calories per day, what would you suggest I burn?
  • TheBooBooStew
    TheBooBooStew Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    One additional thing, slowly up your calories. Add 200 calories a week until you hit your goal of around 1900.

My dietcian has me doing the same thing, because I hit a plateau.
    Good advice there.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A couple of things. First you dont have much to lose so you cant lose 2 lbs per week. You need to aim for 1lb max. Also, if you exercise you need to eat more. I suspect you will lose more around 1700 calories that what is happening now. Body needs fuel to burn. Also your protein is very low and you arent eating the best stuff. If you drop carbs to 35% and up protein to 40% it might help. Also try to stay away from processed foods and fast foods and quick adds.

I guess I do eat lots of crap with my good stuff, eh? If I go up to eating 1700 calories, should I be burning more than the 400 -500 a day that I'm currently aiming for? I'm 5'3" and 30 years old.

Based on your stats and working out 5 days a week, you should be eating 1900 calories. I will say drop some of the cardio and increase weight training. This will help fat loss.

I'm starting to see the train of thought here. I'm not fueling myself enough so I'm sticking myself into somewhat of a starvation mode, right? If I were to aim for 1900 calories per day, what would you suggest I burn?
    Really just workout hard for an hour. There is no specific burn you need to aim for. Besides those machine generally read high by 20-40%.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options

Paradoxically, I think there is a high probability that you're not eating enough and your body is holding on for dear life. I see that you regularly don't eat back your exercise calories, which means that you're trying to be far more aggressive than your stated goal.

As for protein, I agree with sidesteal. For someone with your activity level, research shows that you should consume about 1.6 grams of protein per kg of body weight. That's 120 grams of protein per day, like sidesteal states. Quite honestly, jcb, your protein intake is abysmally low, by any measure. Even if you do lose weight, you're likely to sacrifice quite a bit of muscle in addition to fat, which isn't going to make for an optimal you, either aesthetically or in terms of strength. You're very likely to become "skinny fat," and you definitely don't want to do that; many women in my family who have spent a lifetime going that route are in a very bad way right now.

I think if you work on these two areas, you'll be headed in the right direction, be more satiated, and feel a heckuva lot better, all around.
  • jcbgrange
    jcbgrange Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Paradoxically, I think there is a high probability that you're not eating enough and your body is holding on for dear life. I see that you regularly don't eat back your exercise calories, which means that you're trying to be far more aggressive than your stated goal.

As for protein, I agree with sidesteal. For someone with your activity level, research shows that you should consume about 1.6 grams of protein per kg of body weight. That's 120 grams of protein per day, like sidesteal states. Quite honestly, jcb, your protein intake is abysmally low, by any measure. Even if you do lose weight, you're likely to sacrifice quite a bit of muscle in addition to fat, which isn't going to make for an optimal you, either aesthetically or in terms of strength. You're very likely to become "skinny fat," and you definitely don't want to do that; many women in my family who have spent a lifetime going that route are in a very bad way right now.

I think if you work on these two areas, you'll be headed in the right direction, be more satiated, and feel a heckuva lot better, all around.

I definitely do not want to be "skinny fat". I want to be a a super strong, sexy, fit MILF! I didn't realize that I was supposed to eat back the calories I work off. I think I'm overwhelmed trying to count every calorie and not paying as much attention to the rest.