diet reset...?

Options
i've heard "diet resets" mentioned a few times now, either as solutions to certain problems or just out of context

can anyone give me some more info as to what they are, when they're used and the benefits/disadvantages or how exactly they work?

i'm wondering whether to take one myself as i saw someone mention it being a solution to constant hunger if you have been "dieting" (i consider i t more of a lifestyle change myself..) too long but i'm not sure...

thanks for any help!

Replies

• bitterbrownie
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • leighanngates
    leighanngates Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery in 2002, lost 150 pounds, and then over the last 6 or so years have gained back 110 of that. There is a thing called "The 5 day Re-set" that gastric bypass patients use to kind of "purge" the bad from our systems and get back on track with eating healthy again. It is a very rapid progression of the phases we had to go through following our surgery: liquids for 2 days, soft proteins for a day, firm proteins for a day, and finally solid proteins for a day. Then you keep eating every day like it is day 5. It also includes fruits and veggies. It can be done as the 5 days, but I found it more productive to do EACH stage for 2 days, not just the first one. 5 days just wasn't enough for me to get my mind back on good habits. Only works if you stick to the healthy foods, which I didn't. :-( . For people who haven't had weight loss surgery, they could skip the liquid phase if they wanted too. This is a link to the info...

http://www.5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I've heard of eating at your TDEE for 6 weeks as a "metabolism reset" and then shaving off 15% off your TDEE after the 6 weeks is over.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    Don't do the liquid fast suggested by the weight loss surgery lady. That is a medically supervised - supplemented - program. Not intended for normal people.

A diet reset is usually referring to eating your maintenance calories amount for a week or two. This helps your body recover from eating too little for too long, and actually helps jump start your losses again. Plus it's a great psychological boost.

So set your goals to "maintain" and eat that amount for a week or two.
  • leighanngates
    leighanngates Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did suggest that she skip the liquid part. The rest of it is simply healthy foods that are good for us anyway. Gastric bypass patients just eat a lot less of it than others.
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    thanks all this!

i'm already on maintenance but my calories are quite low as I am quite light but I was just wondering about "resetting" because I can feel myself slipping out of maintenance and am worried I haven't got my calories quite right :L
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    When you say you feel yourself 'slipping out of maintenance' what do you mean?
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    like i'm getting more cravings and hungrier and it's really strange! not sure really. just worried i'm going to go on some huuuge binge or stop watching what i eat and give in to something each day so that it adds up, if you know what i mean
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    A great article on the subject from one of the fitness industry's foremost experts.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    like i'm getting more cravings and hungrier and it's really strange! not sure really. just worried i'm going to go on some huuuge binge or stop watching what i eat and give in to something each day so that it adds up, if you know what i mean

Well you don't often eat your exercise cals, so it's not really maintenance, as you are creating a deficit... If you net your maintenance cals then you shouldn't be hungry all the time sweetie x
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    A great article on the subject from one of the fitness industry's foremost experts.

LOL - I was going to post this myself - this is a great read.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

You know what they say about great minds Ms. Sara!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

You know what they say about great minds Ms. Sara!
    Great minds think differently :p ...according to some uni poster