Protein Question

Options
I am new here! I should say that I am pre-diabetic and my doctor has said to a lot of fiber and protein. I have a negative number in my proteins today. Is this bad?

Replies

• yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Bad? Well, that's probably subjective... It means you went over whatever number you had set as your goal.
  • Lbishop1213
    Options
    I didn't set those goals. The program set them for me. I just set my goal weight. I was playing around with the features and I noticed they were there.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, MFP sets the protein goal much too low for anyone who is physically active.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    If that number is 46 thats the minimal amount the average sedentary female should eat to avoid deficiency. If your larger or taller then average you need more. Most recommend .8g of protein per kg of body mass if your sedentary. If your active, up to 1.8g/kg.

Im 120lbs and try to eat at least 80g
  • Lbishop1213
    Options
    So do I just keep eating like I normally would and ignore the protein amounts? How do I know if I am eating to much protein?
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much as long as you're getting a mixture of protein, fat and carbs and fiber. The numbers are guidelines, not absolutes.

If you find the whole thing confusing, a registered dietician will be able to help.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You could go into settings and use the custom button to give yourself more protein.

As a rough guide, I'd say take up to 100g per day without any worries.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    So do I just keep eating like I normally would and ignore the protein amounts? How do I know if I am eating to much protein?
    Eat at least .8g ur weight in kg
    2g per kg regularly every day is arguably allot tho I havent seen any ill effects from that.