Steel Cut Oatmeal Recipies

Options
I have one recipies; oats, PB, and chocolate protein powder. Oh yummy....but I need more recipies :)

Replies

• butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • giantsr1
    giantsr1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Love this! Put everything in the crock pot the night before and in the morning it is ready <3 This comes from a site The Yummy Life - they had some other good recipes on there as well.

Slow Cooker, Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal
    By Monica Servings: 7 (3/4-cup) servings
    Ingredients
    2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2-1/2 to 3 cups chopped)
    1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
    1-1/2 cups water
    1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces (optional)
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 tablespoon ground flax seed
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk or butter
    Directions
    Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.

To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup fat-free milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.

Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.
  • butterflylover527
    Options
    Yumm!!!
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    The crockpot way is good. Add anything you like to it.

Glad to see someone mention to spray it first. lol. I learned the hard way.
  • butterflylover527
    Options
    ^^^I will make sure to keep that in mind!!
  • RunningDirty
    Options
    I soaked them overnight in unsweetened vanilla almond milk and added half a banana and half a tablespoon of raw almond butter and it was yummy!
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Yes, remember to spray it, and to watch your time the first time you make it. You may want to make it while you're home. I find in a newer crockpot, it takes much less time.

The Yummy site also has one for cherry/almond that is very sweet, but delicious. Another one for banana coconut, which I haven't tried yet, but will. It looks delicious!
  • skoepp01
    Options
    The crockpot way is good. Add anything you like to it.

Glad to see someone mention to spray it first. lol. I learned the hard way.

I literally have my crock pot going with a similar oatmeal recipe and it didn't call for spraying first and I didn't think of it until after the fact. REGRET!
  • skonly
    Options
    I saw one the other day making breakfast bars with it. I'll see if I can find something close or experiment myself. I have to substitute a few things any but wanted to add some berries.
  • lsm0509
    lsm0509 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Almond Joy Oatmeal (If you like coconut)

1/2 oats
    3/4 almond milk
    1 Tbsp. Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder (you could probably just use your protein powder instead)
    1 Tbsp. sweetened coconut
    1 Tbsp. sliced almonds
    1 tsp. splenda

I mix it all together minus the almonds and put it in the microwave for 4 minutes. When it's finished I stir in the almonds and sometimes add a little more milk. Yum!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    So, when you guys are making these oats in the crock pot and you eat your serving, do you put the other in the fridge? Freeze it? or what? We love oats, but there are only 2 of us.
  • skonly
    Options
    So, when you guys are making these oats in the crock pot and you eat your serving, do you put the other in the fridge? Freeze it? or what? We love oats, but there are only 2 of us.

It will stay good in the fridge for a few days. I use a small crock to make mine. It will last me a week if I eat it every day.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I need to get more creative with my oatmeal. lol I just add PB2 and milk. I like the crockpot idea.Thanks