Motorists annoy me

Options
Lately I've been working cycling into my workout (2-3 times a week) and I've really noticed how motorists don't pay any attention to people on sidewalks. For example, them turning into a parking lot and not even glancing to see if anyone is coming. Or (and this one REALLY makes me mad) at an intersection at a red light and they stop in the crosswalk so that I can't hardly get by when I have the right of way. Seriously...I'm not asking a lot - just follow traffic laws. I do my part by riding on sidewalks and bike paths - they should do their part as well.

Replies

• cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I agree! Well said.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I feel the opposite way. I drive back country roads all day, the speed limit is 60 and there are only small shoulders if any at all. They are always riding and slowing down traffic. It's not even safe and yet they do it anyway. It's not easy to pass on a winding road and with all the big trucks now because of drilling it's hard just to stay on the road, you have to scoot way off to the side or get hit. Why would people bike on roads like this? If there is an official event the sheriffs dept will be out there directing traffic and there are usually signs days in advance. I don't mind that. But on your average day it gets annoying.

I do agree though people should be more watchful, especially in areas with clearly marked paths.

I shouldn't say opposite. I agree with what you are saying. Just pointing out it goes both ways. There should be more paths in areas where people want to ride and maybe some extra signs. That would solve my problem and until people start obeying the law, the police should be watching and solve yours.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    Ha! Where I live, it's against the law to ride on sidewalks.

I used to ride a lot. Be careful!
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Seriously I AGREE!!! First off it's illegal here for cyclists to use the sidewalk to ride but if you ride on the street you'll most likely get hit. Second, there is only one neighborhood with a bike lane with cars parked on it of course--so what I'm supposed to ride up and down that one street or drive miles away to ride my bike Jeez. I ride on the sidewalk-- I'd rather get a ticket than get hit by a car
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sidewalks are not meant for bicycles. Sidewalks are meant for walking. I walk. I do NOT want to be run down by someone on a bicycle while I'm walking on a sidewalk. Bicycles are meant to be on the street. They are considered vehicles and riders are to be using proper signals and everything. Granted, I don't know where you live, but perhaps you should look for a better route to ride. I do a lot of walking and I am constantly exploring new areas to route new paths for walking. Some places don't have sidewalks, some do, some streets are busy, some aren't. You just have to do that with your cycling is all.
  • AugustSong
    Options
    I agree. I use a bike to get to work, and find myself being almost hit on a daily basis, including once by the police. There are very few motorists who actually pay attention to cyclists, and there are so many here.
  • trs80
    trs80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree/disagree.

Cyclists have every right to ride as do motorists, but there are a certain FEW cyclists that
    give everyone riding a bicycle a bad rap by having an attitude that they OWN the road because
    they are doing something healthy and they ride out into the traffic lane, even on extremely narrow
    roads that, for their own safety, common sense tells them they shouldn't be on.

We need more bicycle lanes on more streets for everyones safety.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Sidewalks are not meant for bicycles. Sidewalks are meant for walking. I walk. I do NOT want to be run down by someone on a bicycle while I'm walking on a sidewalk. Bicycles are meant to be on the street. They are considered vehicles and riders are to be using proper signals and everything. Granted, I don't know where you live, but perhaps you should look for a better route to ride. I do a lot of walking and I am constantly exploring new areas to route new paths for walking. Some places don't have sidewalks, some do, some streets are busy, some aren't. You just have to do that with your cycling is all.
    I agree with you, especially when I am the one running, but won't it hurt less if I nick you with a handle bar than me getting smushed by a car? I say the benefits outweigh the risk haha
  • Jfrerichs
    Jfrerichs Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I should clarify...most of the "sidewalks" around here are actually labeled "bike paths", so I do have a right to be on them. In regards to walkers on the path, I agree, you should not be mowed down which is why I slow down and announce my approach by shouting "on your left". I do not feel that if there are paths (or sidewalks for that matter) that bikes should be forced to ride on the street. It is dangerous even if it is the law.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Statistics show that riding on the street (with traffic) is considerably safer than riding on the sidewalk.

The most dangerous place to ride? On a sidewalk against traffic.

A lot of this is due to visibility issues with turning motorists.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I actually just got back from a family bike ride where a woman on a cell phone in a minivan pulled out of a parking lot, proceeded to almost hit me, slammed on her brakes, continued, and almost hit my husband who was pulling my daughter, then sped past us honking..... And we were riding in a designated biking area.

Common sense and common courtesy -- it goes for motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists. And just people in general!! The world needs more of it!!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Don't ride on the sidewalk. This will unfortunately not solve your motorist problems, but you aren't supposed to ride on the sidewalk, and you're creating the same issues for walkers and runners that motorists create for you. That said, it sucks the way people in cars don't pay attention to cyclists, runners, or walkers. I've nearly been hit while running several times. As to the person that says cyclists shouldn't be on the road, open your driver's manual. They have the same right to be there as you do, and they have the right of way.

I read a book several years ago in which the hero is doing a magical test. He's asked to cross three courses, one on foot, one on a human powered vehicle, and on in a motorized vehicle. At the end he realizes that he was magically doing all three crossings at once, and car that almost hit him on foot was being driven by him. The whole thing was a lesson in how we treat others.
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I agree to a point, but my hatred is for cyclist with headphones in, so selfish its unreal
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been working cycling into my workout (2-3 times a week) and I've really noticed how motorists don't pay any attention to people on sidewalks. For example, them turning into a parking lot and not even glancing to see if anyone is coming. Or (and this one REALLY makes me mad) at an intersection at a red light and they stop in the crosswalk so that I can't hardly get by when I have the right of way. Seriously...I'm not asking a lot - just follow traffic laws. I do my part by riding on sidewalks and bike paths - they should do their part as well.

If you want to do your part keep your bike off the sidewalk - bicycles are vehicles and, in most jurisdictions, are required by law to be operated on the roadway.

Yes, many motorists are oblivious to pedestrians and cyclists but if you're operating your bicycle in the same manner you'd be operating your car it's much safer for you.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    Get off the sidewalk. If you want to ride a bike, ride in the road where all vehicles belong. I log thousands of miles each year and I can count on one hand the number of near misses I have had with motorists...

Get out there and ride!
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    I agree to a point, but my hatred is for cyclist with headphones in, so selfish its unreal

Huh?
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I live in the Netherlands.

We have lots of lovely wide cycling lanes, where motorists aren't allowed to go on and at intersections cyclists usually get separated from the motorists.

:D

But yeah, some motorists shouldn't even be allowed to drive a car.