Hi I'm new here.

Options
I'll get right to the point, I had gastric bypass January 5 2005. I didn't lose very much at all until about 4 months out at 8 months out I had lost 111 pounds and then I never lost another pound. After 18 months I started to gain weight I have now gained 66 pounds. I haven't been back to my surgeon in 2 years I am ashamed of myself. I had completely given up for awhile and then one day I decided that I would try again so here I am. I still feel like a failure because I failed at everything I tried to lose weight in the past including the surgery I mean other people continue to lose weight for 18 months to 2 years but not me. I'm not sure how I screwed it up but I did so here I am. And by the way I needed to lose about 160 pounds after the surgery.

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Don't be so hard on yourself! MFP has helped tons of people lose weight, and it'll help YOU too! :wink: :smile:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also, under "recent forum topics", and "view all", then "general diet", and check out the first few threads. They'll really help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
    As far as exercise goes, it doesn't always have to be awful. For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
  • lgjg94
    lgjg94 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you so much for your comments and advice. I am amazed at how easy it is to use this site it's and so helpful! I hope this will be just what I need it helps ALOT to see your calories etc. as the day progresses I have been putting them in before had like you suggested. Congratulations on your success!
  • myfitz4life
    myfitz4life Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well, welcome to the site and good luck with everything. You can do it!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your comments and advice. I am amazed at how easy it is to use this site it's and so helpful! I hope this will be just what I need it helps ALOT to see your calories etc. as the day progresses I have been putting them in before had like you suggested. Congratulations on your success!

Thanks for your congrats! :flowerforyou:
    MFP really IS easy to use, and it's all it took for me to lose (most of!) the weight that I wanted to, just by SEEING my numbers, and then "working with them" with better food choices, some exercise, and lots of water. It's really THAT simple! :bigsmile:
  • lgjg94
    Options
    Thank you!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You have to stop being so hard on yourself...I know, easier said than done. I've learned, as hard as it is, positivity is the key to success. I'm not succeeding all that well right now. lol

I keep trying though. Obviously, you do too.

Good luck. :)
    I'll get right to the point, I had gastric bypass January 5 2005. I didn't lose very much at all until about 4 months out at 8 months out I had lost 111 pounds and then I never lost another pound. After 18 months I started to gain weight I have now gained 66 pounds. I haven't been back to my surgeon in 2 years I am ashamed of myself. I had completely given up for awhile and then one day I decided that I would try again so here I am. I still feel like a failure because I failed at everything I tried to lose weight in the past including the surgery I mean other people continue to lose weight for 18 months to 2 years but not me. I'm not sure how I screwed it up but I did so here I am. And by the way I needed to lose about 160 pounds after the surgery.
  • lgjg94
    Options
    Thank you Brenda, I wish you the best of luck!:smile: