How to go about the serving size?

Options
So how do you guys know how big a meal is, you just ate(in grams)? Is it something you weigh, or estimate?

Replies

• fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I measure or weigh everything. Having never done so in the past, it was an eye opener to see what a correct serving size was. Since I started recording everything, I bought a food scale and multiple sets of measuring spoons and cups.

Edit: I should add that this is when preparing meals at home.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I measure/weigh everything during the prepping process.

If the food item is to be cooked (for example, a burger), Ill weigh the product AFTER its done cooking for more accurate readings.
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Exactly what the others said. Weigh and measure everything. My scale has a switch on the back to convert to grams, if needed. I find weighing and measuring to be one of the main keys to how well I've done so far!
  • cramernh
    Options
    Exactly what the others said. Weigh and measure everything. My scale has a switch on the back to convert to grams, if needed. I find weighing and measuring to be one of the main keys to how well I've done so far!
    yeahhhhhhhh Ive got a digital scale from my culinary days where I can weigh out by grams, ounces, kilograms and actual pound measurements... its AWESOME! Full purpose for meal prepping, weighing out the bulk meats I buy, etc....
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    half of a baseball (not those giant softballs) is a half cup; a good serving size for a lady for rice, mashed potatoes, polenta, grits.

a deck of cards - portion of chicken, meat.

I weigh alot of things on a scale. . . It really helps because when I know exactly how many calories I am getting, I will see that I can add more yummy things and still stay under. You don't really need to weigh vegetables or fruit.

If you don't weigh or measure, you can get lazy and serving sizes can slip back up. I even weigh deli meats and cheeses for a sandwich, those ingredients really add up fast.

Enjoy!
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    So how do you guys know how big a meal is, you just ate(in grams)? Is it something you weigh, or estimate?

Measure and Weigh!! I was soooo wrong when I was guesstimating!
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure everything. I got a cheap digital scale that does ounces, grams and pounds and it makes things so easy. And I have at least three sets of measuring cups and spoons.
  • cramernh
    Options
    You don't really need to weigh vegetables or fruit.

I disagree with this if you are someone who doesnt make good portion-control decisions. Even too much fruit will cause problems for some people... Same goes for the type of vegetable one chooses to have an abundance of... if they have insulin sensitivity or sugar sensitivities, your statement definitely is false unfortunately.

Its better to do it fully than to do it part time...for those who arent good at gestimating.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said. I weigh or measure everything I cook myself - although I weigh before cooking, unless the nutritional information includes cooked info as well.

When eating out, I try to stay clean by doing only salads and grilled chix (no dressing) or turkey burgers and no buns or condiments. After a while, you can pretty much eyeball those types of foods and know what 4 or 8 ounces looks like.
  • smilesformiles88
    smilesformiles88 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I measure and weigh everything as well...once you do it alot, you get good at knowing what the portion size should be. You will be alot better at guessing the size. It makes it a lot easier if you can have a good estimate of the size if you're at a social event or something.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I measure and weigh everything. If I am making a casserole or skillet dish, I will measure and weigh each ingredient in the dish and enter the information into the Recipe calculator under tools. I usually make enough for 5 people, so I use 5 as teh serviing...then I wiegh out five equal servings onto the plates.

Denise
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I measure/weigh most things. I have done a lot of estimating lately though as I've been buying lunches at work and stuff. I'm estimating my lunch tomorrow but I always try to overestimate anyway.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    The eye is easily deceived when trying to guesstimate LOL

I weigh everything now........
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I'll get me a scale, and start measuring too :)