Mexican

Options
What could I eat at a Mexican restaurant that would not be horrible to eat?

Replies

• PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Tacos! On average, if you skip the cheese and sour cream and load it up with tomato and lettuce are only about 200 calories.

:-)
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Lots of stuff!!!! Your just going to have to ask for less/or no cheese, skip the guac, sour cream, and other cheesy sauces, and of course stay away from anything fried.

Try some tortilla soup (sans the sour cream, cheese, and tortilla chips) with a side salad, or fajitas...just tell them to use as little oil as possible, and believe it or not; a taco wouldn't kill you, just don't go crazy!

Or you could just skip the lunch and go straight for the margaritas! :bigsmile:
  • mshay05
    mshay05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    chicken or shrimp fajitas w/o the tortilla.
  • Trav
    Trav Posts: 2,022
    Options
    fajitas minus the sour cream/tortilla...jsut put some lettuce...maybe some salsa
  • MrsThorz
    Options
    If you click on the FOOD tab at the top of MFP, then click on Database, type the name of the restaurant, and it will show you some of the foods served there and all the "facts" about them. From there it should be easy to determine what to eat!

~ Tracey
  • ZeldaCat
    Options
    A good taco salad is always quite delicious..they usually have them with chicken or beef
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If you click on the FOOD tab at the top of MFP, then click on Database, type the name of the restaurant, and it will show you some of the foods served there and all the "facts" about them. From there it should be easy to determine what to eat!

~ Tracey

This is a nice tip. I had no idea you could do that. thanks for sharing.:smile:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm mexican food is my favorite! I get bean burritos with no cheese!
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Napkins?
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Go easy on the chips and heavy on salsa...
    I usually get Chicken enchilada's no rice or beans. Super filling and lower in cals than you'd think!
  • equinegirl200
    equinegirl200 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    hahaha!:tongue:
  • candacepainter
    Options

Napkins?
    Thats probably true!:laugh:
  • sollygirl
    sollygirl Posts: 107
    Options

I work at a mexican restraunt and I know there they marinate the chicken and steak for the fajitas in oil. There actually way more fatning then everybody thinks!!
  • CaGinger
    CaGinger Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My personal view is to forbid nothing but to train myself to eat in moderation and make better healthy choices. I get fajitas or make them at home so I know how much oil is going into the prep. Chicken shrimp or even steak it’s actually a smarter choice then getting some other types of meat that are cooked with lard (like most beans and meats are at Mexican places... I think that’s why they are so damn good :( )

Typical meal for me out is

Iced tea no sugar
    Chicken / Shrimp Fajitas combo
    2 tortillas

-Chips and Dip (If you have trouble resisting them ask for them to be taken away or not at the table completely)
    -sour cream
    -cheese

The meat onions, bell peppers and other filling foods are delish and I still feel like I am getting that Mexican food that’s so good! Love it love it love it! (I dont have the oil problem... I get mine from a place that doesnt prep them in oil... you can ask how they are made before you order if you think the place might use tons of oil)

Call ahead... Get a menu ahead! Ask how food is made over the phone so you can be Anonymous but still informed when you go!
  • mshay05
    mshay05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I work at a mexican restraunt and I know there they marinate the chicken and steak for the fajitas in oil. There actually way more fatning then everybody thinks!!

oh man, thats super depressing!:cry: haha.
  • emmy133
    Options
    Fish tacos! (As long as the fish is broiled and not deep fried in batter!) I usually order them if they're not deep fried and then don't eat the tortillas they come in.

Oh, and stay away from the margaritas. It is so tempting, but they are usually a huge portion and have a ton of calories. Order a club soda with a single shot of fruit-flavored vodka instead.
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas made with Corn Tortilles easy on the oil, no cheese or sour cream. No chips I use the salsa on the Fajitas.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Mexican is really hard. I usually order fajitas but eat only the meat and veggies.