Is it Possible not losing inches but looking thinner?

Options
albayin
albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
I have been walking daily and 2-3 times Wt every week for the past month. Of course, before that I was just like most of others who were on strict diet...I am not losing weight or inches however my friends all think my legs look thinner. I don't know they were just being nice or it was kinda true? Can you achieve that without actual inch or weight loss? Muscle/fat relocation? Curious...

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I expect some people see improved muscle tone as looking "thinner", even if the measurement hasn't changed.
  • dawten
    dawten Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have that same issue-m I just stick with it and sure enough I see the measurements changing too. For me it has only been about a half an inch, but I KNOW my thighs are smaller and shaped better. So is my backside :)
  • albayin
    Options
    I expect some people see improved muscle tone as looking "thinner", even if the measurement hasn't changed.

Could be this one. :)
  • albayin
    Options
    I have that same issue-m I just stick with it and sure enough I see the measurements changing too. For me it has only been about a half an inch, but I KNOW my thighs are smaller and shaped better. So is my backside :)

I always measure the same spot around my thighs but I swear I didn't even lose .1 inch. :)
  • KhaosTh30ry
    KhaosTh30ry Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Fitness trainers have told me not to expect to jump into a new exercise routine and start weighing / measuring yourself for loss. Your body is not used to this new routine and may try to compensate for the new level of activity by storing extra water/fat (so I am told)
    I have been told that it can take 5-7 weeks before you start to see a noticeable change in your body composition. Try not to stress it, just keep going and you will start to see a change. :smile:
  • albayin
    Options
    Fitness trainers have told me not to expect to jump into a new exercise routine and start weighing / measuring yourself for loss. Your body is not used to this new routine and may try to compensate for the new level of activity by storing extra water/fat (so I am told)
    I have been told that it can take 5-7 weeks before you start to see a noticeable change in your body composition. Try not to stress it, just keep going and you will start to see a change. :smile:

Thank you. But I guessed you probably misunderstood my post. I wasn't stressed out over no weight/inch loss but rather curious about how others could look me as "thinner". :) But I will keep your words in my mind anyhow.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If you haven't actually lost any inches, it could be a mental thing for your friends. Either that they are perceiving you as thinner since they know you've been working out or they are telling you that as encouragement to help you continue on your journey.

I've had friends and family tell me how thin I look when I've actually gained weight/inches since the last time I saw them. I've even have people rave about how great I look when I was muffin-topping over a pair the exact same pants that were loose on me the last time I hung out with them, from a month of eating awesomely (crazy unhealthily, but awesomely) for a month solid with almost no exercise at all.

I don't know which case it was, either their perceptions based on knowing that I'd been working so hard prior or just lying to me to make me feel good (not maliciously), but I know it wasn't my actual body composition that looked better.

The only person I've had during this whole time be honest with me is my manager at work, who's very straightforward. Who told me that she was glad that I was looking "rounder" again because she had been worried that I was going to keep losing weight and get too thin. >.<
  • albayin
    Options
    If you haven't actually lost any inches, it could be a mental thing for your friends. Either that they are perceiving you as thinner since they know you've been working out or they are telling you that as encouragement to help you continue on your journey.

I've had friends and family tell me how thin I look when I've actually gained weight/inches since the last time I saw them. I've even have people rave about how great I look when I was muffin-topping over a pair the exact same pants that were loose on me the last time I hung out with them, from a month of eating awesomely (crazy unhealthily, but awesomely) for a month solid with almost no exercise at all.

I don't know which case it was, either their perceptions based on knowing that I'd been working so hard prior or just lying to me to make me feel good (not maliciously), but I know it wasn't my actual body composition that looked better.

The only person I've had during this whole time be honest with me is my manager at work, who's very straightforward. Who told me that she was glad that I was looking "rounder" again because she had been worried that I was going to keep losing weight and get too thin. >.<

You are probably right. I do incline to believe they are being nice and encouraging as they know I have been fighting really hard. Thank you for sharing your story.