Is it time for new shoes?

Options
I've been running consistently for a few months now, since March, and I'm still wearing the same shoes, which I only use at the gym, very rarely outside. I started around 4-6 miles a week and now I'm averaging around 14 miles/ week. A few weeks back I got a blister on my toe, didn't think much of it, hey, it happens. But since then I've had 3 more blisters! I haven't changed my socks or how I tie my shoes or anything like that and I'm thinking maybe this is a sign it's time to buy new shoes. What do you think?

Also, I'm preparing to run a half marathon in the end of September, and I'm wondering if I should try to hold out on new shoes until it's closer to race day or get them now. Any good shoe recommendations or tips for buying a great pair would be helpful, too. Right now the shoes I have were bought mostly because the price was right and I needed *something* to start with.

Thanks in advance!

ETA: I think I've probably put at the very least 130 miles on these shoes. Thinking about it like that feels like a huge accomplishment!!!

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Congrats on upping your mileage! I'm sure a ton of people will chime in on this, but absolutely go get fitted for running shoes, at a running store, not at a large outdoor chain. They will be more expensive, but they will fit your feet and drastically cut down on your chance of being injured. Depending on the shoe, you should have 300-500 miles before you need to replace them.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    It's funny you posted this topic today. Today was the day for new "dress" shoes. My other are worn out because I wear them almost every day. So today, I bought a new pair. Went from a 2 1/2 thick heel to a 3 1/2 narrow heel. And of course--from an 8 1/2 W to an 8. Lost the W---OOT OOT!

Always Always Always---break in new running shoes BEFORE the race---6 weeks!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Definitely follow the advice from above and go to a Running store to get properly fitted. I was just fitted for new running shoes and they told me that you should expect to replace your runners every 6 months or 250 miles. They lose their cushioning and support over time. My new runners made a huge difference for my comfort while running.

Edited to add...I would never enter a run with brand new runners...get some miles on them first, any time this month would be good in order to break them in before your race.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I would definitely NOT wait until your half to buy new shoes! Not only do you risk continuing to have the blisters you are getting, you risk having a pair of brand new shoes you can't run a race in. I know you didn't ask for advice on this, BUT I am being that girl and throwing this out there...you've GOT to start running outside if you want to be able to do a half marathon in two months.
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Congrats on upping your mileage! I'm sure a ton of people will chime in on this, but absolutely go get fitted for running shoes, at a running store, not at a large outdoor chain. They will be more expensive, but they will fit your feet and drastically cut down on your chance of being injured. Depending on the shoe, you should have 300-500 miles before you need to replace them.

I agree - get fitted for good running shoes. Also - invest in a couple pairs of really good running socks. Moisture wicking - NOT COTTON! Cotton socks will cause blisters. Check out sockgeek.com - they have good prices and selection plus a lot of information. Good luck!
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    As everyone's saying - get them now and break them in before the race!!! You've accomplished quite a feat (no pun!!!) and deserve a good little treat. A good quality pair of running shoes for race day is a big necessity!!! So take a few extra bucks and spoil yourself. As for the blisters, the only thing I can say there is OUCH!!! That and some soaking maybe?

Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I think people buy new shoes too often. They should still be good after 130 miles. Maybe you just need new socks.

I usually get a minimum of 800 miles out of a pair of shoes.
  • abetterjune
    Options
    I would definitely NOT wait until your half to buy new shoes! Not only do you risk continuing to have the blisters you are getting, you risk having a pair of brand new shoes you can't run a race in. I know you didn't ask for advice on this, BUT I am being that girl and throwing this out there...you've GOT to start running outside if you want to be able to do a half marathon in two months.

Oh, I know!! The problem is that the area I live in is basically flat and the race has lots of hills so training on the treadmill with the incline option has been ideal. I also have no childcare for running outside vs my gym which offers 2 free hours each day!! Ah, but yes, I do plan to run at least 3 times on the actual trail the marathon takes place on before the big day. Thanks for the advice!
  • cheercoach80
    Options
    Definitely time to go get properly fitted for a good pair of running shoes. I can't stress enough how important it is that your shoes not only fit your foot properly but also accommodate your stride as well! You'll notice a HUGE difference!
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Have fun shoe shopping. You may need new pairs much more often now! Don't be surprised if you wear them out after two months. You deserve it!!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're getting blisters I would suspect it's a combination of less than perfect fit combined with the additional mileage. With only 130 miles on the the shoes have plenty of life left in them but if they don't fit well your training (especially as you increase your distances) is going to be painful.

Go to a running specialty shop and get fitted.Contrary to the advice you've been given a pair of shoes that fit properly don't need to be broken in but as you'll be trying something new it's best to get them well in advance of the race just to ensure that they are, in fact, the right shoe for you (many running shops will give a trial period when moving to a new shoe). If you plan on running 13.1 miles in them they have to fit right.

PS I second the advice to get running outdoors.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I think running 3 times before your half might be a little bit too little - hope you manage to get some more road time before your race. Best of luck!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If you're getting blisters I would suspect it's a combination of less than perfect fit combined with the additional mileage. With only 130 miles on the the shoes have plenty of life left in them but if they don't fit well your training (especially as you increase your distances) is going to be painful.

Go to a running specialty shop and get fitted.Contrary to the advice you've been given a pair of shoes that fit properly don't need to be broken in but as you'll be trying something new it's best to get them well in advance of the race just to ensure that they are, in fact, the right shoe for you (many running shops will give a trial period when moving to a new shoe). If you plan on running 13.1 miles in them they have to fit right.

PS I second the advice to get running outdoors.

^This.Also, having good moisture wicking socks will make a big deal, and also you could try body glide on the spots that you tend to blister. I pretty much always use it in a couple spots on my feet.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Now that you're running more you probably just need Good running shoes. Cheapies at this point are just not cutting it. Check Runner's World Magazine website. They have great tips and Brand comparisons on how and when to buy shoes. And they don't have a mandate to sell. You'll get the same advice at a proper athletic shoe store, but it helps to go prepared. And yes do get properly fitted. It makes a huge difference. Good Luck