Do you weigh your food?

Options
124»

Replies

• Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    If it is not already measured out for me, I weight it, as its very easy to misjudge weight and very dangerous with foods like nuts.

I purchased 2 sets of scales when I started on MFP, one for work and one for home. I am glad to see that my colleagues also use the work scales.
  • awill1122
    Options
    Except for meat, measuring cups are more useful. It's easier to measure out a cup of cereal rather than weigh out the equivalent weight.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I use the scale, measuring cups, small bowl that I know hold X amount of ounces, teaspoons, measuring spoons. In fact I have 4 scales a small gram I carry in my purse (ITS NOT PARAPHENALIA), one in my office, dry and weight scale. If I dont I'll start stuffing my face again and start seeing the 400lb horizon again. I'll be weighing and measuring the rest of my life. Sigh, the joy of being a binge food addict.
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure almost everything. I weigh out whole recipes and figure out the calories per oz if I think that will be a more convenient way to measure out the servings. :)
  • nebgurl
    nebgurl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do weigh my food... That's the only thing I found that's effective and helps keep the workouts in check. As soon as I started weighing and was aware of what the portion size really looked like- I was amazed at how much over eating I was doing which explained why my workouts seemes like they weren't working. It's one of the best purchases I've made,
    :flowerforyou:

I prep foods in baggies and containers 1-2 days a week. Usually Sundays (for the dried and fresh veggie stuff- Cereals, nuts, vitamins) literally anything that can be put in a baggie I do here. I also cook for my family for a couple of days(thank goodness they are good with left overs- Wednesdays- I cook again and "containerize" and bag anything that I can take to work fo lunch or on the go for the rest of the week. I teach several fitness classes so I really don't have a lot of time to do it EVERYDAY so I have to do it in waves to stay on plan. Good luck!!!
  • chefanna
    Options
    yes! it makes it more accurate!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I weigh every single thing I eat. My liquids, my fruits and veggies, pb, meat, every single thing. It makes thing more accurate.
    You should weigh ur meat b4 cooking it, cuz it will often shrink when u cook it.

Liquids are done by volume, not by weight.

16 oz of milk is two cups, not a pound
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I weigh just about everything but milk and other liquids, and do so before I've done anything to to change the calorie density. Cooking changes the calorie density of just about everything, and in ways that are influenced by your own cooking practices - never mind the cooking practices of whoever made the database entry - and difficult to reproduce with any precision from one meal to the next. So I weigh foods before that variable has been introduced unless it's really REALLY inconvenient to do it then. An exception would be something like a pork loin roast, which I don't slice and weigh until it's ready to serve.

But whether you weigh before or after, it's important to use the right database entry. I always use the word "raw" among my search terms for a food I haven't logged before, and when in doubt, verify with this site: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ They have a special calculator for ground beef that takes into account the fat content and cooking method at http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/beef/show
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I mostly estimate, sometimes measuring cup. It works for me, but I do have a really uncanny eye for measurements and dimensions, as an artist and "handyman." :laugh:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think that some people who claim to be sticking to their food plans and not losing weight are in reality estimating their food quantities. Weighing your food can be an eye-opening experience. I weigh and measure everything. For instance, I grill a bunch of chicken breasts on the weekend and thin slice them, weigh out four ounce slices and then package them in snack bags. Then I have the portion size ready to go to add to rice, put on a salad, stick on a sandwich, eat plain and cold or whatever.

Items that tend to be high calorie should always be measured carefully. I got this granola, almond, pumpkin seed snack thing at Costco. It is very healthy, but I carefully measure my afternoon snack in grams because if I just grabbed a handful, I could easily consume hundreds of calories unintentionally. Same with nuts. Those foods are an important part of my plan but I want to measure them with care.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale and definately use it frequently. I'm a pro cook and pretty good at "eyeballing " measurements, but I still double check myself, especially with an item I don't use often. A scale is essential for baking, too.
  • megsmom2
    Options
    Cereal is always eye opening!
  • megsmom2
    Options
    I weigh every single thing I eat. My liquids, my fruits and veggies, pb, meat, every single thing. It makes thing more accurate.
    You should weigh ur meat b4 cooking it, cuz it will often shrink when u cook it.

But it IS a pound. We just don't talk about that way in non commercial cooking.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

But it IS a pound. We just don't talk about that way in non commercial cooking.

16 fluid ounces of milk weighs a 1 lb? What type of milk? I am certain that whole milk weighs more than skim milk.
  • LouiseRose92
    Options
    I use the scale, measuring cups, small bowl that I know hold X amount of ounces, teaspoons, measuring spoons. In fact I have 4 scales a small gram I carry in my purse (ITS NOT PARAPHENALIA), one in my office, dry and weight scale. If I dont I'll start stuffing my face again and start seeing the 400lb horizon again. I'll be weighing and measuring the rest of my life. Sigh, the joy of being a binge food addict.

Lol my brother saw my scale in my handbag yesterday and said, "I hope you don't get stopped by the police, you look like a dealer!"
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I got my scales today, it was so much easier to track my dinner after weighing everything. Thanks for all the replies.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    So glad you got a scale and are liking it. I love my scale and makes portion size so much more accurate! It's really helpful for baking too :)