30 DS and caloric intake...?

Options
Just wondering, I can only manage to eat 1200 calories all day because I have a 3 month old that keeps me very busy. I am starting the 30 day shred next week when my DVD gets here (ordered online). I was wondering if I should eat more calories than this to keep me energized? My goal isn't to lose lbs, just to tone up and lose a few inches.

So for those that have done the 30DS can you give me some food ideas? How many cals should I eat on average? Thanks

Replies

• AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    How many cals you eat definitely depends on your bmr, tdee, and goals so without stats I doubt anyone can tell you that. If you're not seeking to lose though you will probably want to eat at least some of your exercise cals back - the shred is intense and 1200, unless you're really short and skinny, is pretty darn low.

Edit: For reference I burned around 250ish per workout and am 5'3", 189 when I started the shred and 184 when I finished.
  • megangrohl
    Options
    How many cals you eat definitely depends on your bmr, tdee, and goals so without stats I doubt anyone can tell you that. If you're not seeking to lose though you will probably want to eat at least some of your exercise cals back - the shred is intense and 1200, unless you're really short and skinny, is pretty darn low.

Edit: For reference I burned around 250ish per workout and am 5'3", 189 when I started the shred and 184 when I finished.

Thanks. Like I said I am always busy with my daughter so I don't have time to eat alot. I try to eat more but I just can't do it when I am the one that is always with her when my other half is working 5 days per week.

I don't know what TDEE is. But my BMI is 24.7 and my BMR is 1368 calories per day and I'm lucky if I get 1200-1250. I am 5 foot 4 and weigh 144 lbs.
  • DoxieLove10612
    DoxieLove10612 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

Thanks. Like I said I am always busy with my daughter so I don't have time to eat alot. I try to eat more but I just can't do it when I am the one that is always with her when my other half is working 5 days per week.

I don't know what TDEE is. But my BMI is 24.7 and my BMR is 1368 calories per day and I'm lucky if I get 1200-1250. I am 5 foot 4 and weigh 144 lbs.

I know it's hard to eat with a newborn - I really do - but undereating won't do the little one any favors, especially if you're nursing too. You could try swapping in some more calorie dense foods like avocados or peanut butter or sunflower seeds/almonds/etc to boost your cals a little bit but I think every mom with a newborn undereats for a while, I know I did but eventually lost sleep and not enough food does catch up to you - especially if you're going to find time to include the shred in your day.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Oh you should definitely be eating more, especially if your goal isn't even to lose weight! :)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

This is an awesome website for calculating your TDEE and BMR. It even goes as far as calculating, using those numbers, the amount of calories you should eat.

ETA: I entered some info based on what you said, and a good calorie intake would be around 2200 calories. (5'4'', 144 pounds, 30DS, 28 years old, female, gain muscle/tone and lose fat) As far as not being able to eat that much, try adding high-calorie foods to your diet. Everybody's natural instinct when wanting to get in shape is to use low-fat and low-cal options, but try having peanut butter on your toast, mayo AND cheese on sandwiches. Drink milk with dinner or have a protein shake after your workout. Stock up on protein/meal bars with 200-300 calories just to have as a snack. 30 Day Shred is pretty top-notch. I've done it twice, and if you're eating to maintain your weight, you'll see results that you wanted with the toning and muscle gain. GOOD LUCK!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is the amount of calories you have to eat to maintain your weight. It is better to eat between TDEE and BMR. It is enough food to be healthy, lose weight and keep your muscles. If you have trouble eating I would suggest to go full fat on milk and yogurt for example. Nuts are also a good and healthy calorie dense food.
  • DoxieLove10612
    DoxieLove10612 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oh you should definitely be eating more, especially if your goal isn't even to lose weight! :)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

This is an awesome website for calculating your TDEE and BMR. It even goes as far as calculating, using those numbers, the amount of calories you should eat.

ETA: I entered some info based on what you said, and a good calorie intake would be around 2200 calories. (5'4'', 144 pounds, 30DS, 28 years old, female, gain muscle/tone and lose fat) As far as not being able to eat that much, try adding high-calorie foods to your diet. Everybody's natural instinct when wanting to get in shape is to use low-fat and low-cal options, but try having peanut butter on your toast, mayo AND cheese on sandwiches. Drink milk with dinner or have a protein shake after your workout. Stock up on protein/meal bars with 200-300 calories just to have as a snack. 30 Day Shred is pretty top-notch. I've done it twice, and if you're eating to maintain your weight, you'll see results that you wanted with the toning and muscle gain. GOOD LUCK!

Thank you for posting this! 2 trainer and over a week running numbers and reading articles sigh!
  • megangrohl
    Options
    Thank you for the links. I did the TDEE at both websites and I got about 1700 cals. So I guess I should eat between 1300 and 1700 cals each day. I also aim for exercise, being mostly cardio, but I am just beginning again so I don't know if I am burning many calories. I can't drink milk due to intolerance so I usually have half a cup of soy beverage in my smoothie that I make with strawberries. The cheese is really not an option. We also can't afford the protein bars, but I was thinking of buying some whey protein to make after my work outs.