Is anyone thick around the middle?

I have been walking 4.0 miles an hour for 80 minutes a day and doing stationary bike for 20 minutes a day for a while now, and I've lost 10 inches around my middle, but it's still thick compared to my arms and legs. My waist to hip ratio is a .8, which is good, and I'm at a 29 BMI, which is only overweight, not obese anymore. My waist measurement is 36, and it should be 35, and I'm almost there, but I feel that this waist weight is never going to go away, and I'll always have skinny legs and arms and this ball of weight in my middle. How do I get rid of this?

Replies

• ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    I am sure everyone is going to tell you that you can't "spot reduce" and it's true...you can't!!

I feel your pain though, I am EXACTLY the same - tidgy tiny arms and legs and carry the whole lot in the middle! It's getting smaller but not a rate that I would like...!!

I don't actually know how much more cardio I can do before I give up and think sod it, it's just going to have to stay that way forever!!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    cardio will only go so far...crunches, sit ups, planks and core exercises are the way to get your middle section down, also what you eat ...breads, pastas, wheat, whole grains...go right to your mid section :grumble:
  • ayshamc
    cardio will only go so far...crunches, sit ups, planks and core exercises are the way to get your middle section down, also what you eat ...breads, pastas, wheat, whole grains...go right to your mid section :grumble:

Yes, you're right - I have started more on the Planks/Crunches etc. this week....so hopefully will start to see some improvement along with the Cardio!

I'm trying to steer clear of the foods you mention....trying!! :smile:
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    I have the same issue. I carry a lot of my weight in my entire mid section, including love handles and back fat.. I weigh 110lbs right now at 4'10 and could still drop 10lbs because I'm still carrying a good amount of fat around my mid section. I'm working on just dropping my overall body fat. It's been slow coming. I've only lost 3lbs in nearly 30 days.
  • ayshamc
    Yep, it's that "skinny fat" thing that I have heard people talking about, you weigh or almost weigh what you want to, but there is still loads of fat to contend with....

I bought the New Rules of Lifting for Women this week, thought this might help....but if truth be told, using the weight section of my gym totally terrifies me!
  • Don't be intimidated by the weight section of your gym. Let that part of the gym EMPOWER you. Is your gym staffed? When we joined ours a staff member did an orientation with us to show us how to use everything.
    Start slow at first until you get the hang of it. I LOVE strength training. It makes me want to hurry up and get cardio over with.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    I think it's harder to lose the thick middle around our age than when we were younger.
  • ME! lol....My lower tummy and butt is where I carry all my weight and the rest of me is thin. I was doing aerobics and although I was losing..these areas were being very stubborn. A few people told me to do some running and I have started doing just that. I feel it in my whole body. I think it really may be the answer. I don't have a lot of endurance yet but It's building..i walk, then build up to run....repeat...
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    A great tip I once heard- work your shoulders - a LOT- not only do great shoulders make great looking arms (no need to abuse the biceps for a million reps) it also starts to make the waist look smaller just by becoming broader on top.

Since you are doing well with everything else- maybe a little toning is all you need and youll start to visually see what youd like to see.

Good luck! I love working shoulders- I find that bit of info to be very true.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Yep, it's that "skinny fat" thing that I have heard people talking about, you weigh or almost weigh what you want to, but there is still loads of fat to contend with....

I bought the New Rules of Lifting for Women this week, thought this might help....but if truth be told, using the weight section of my gym totally terrifies me!

Get a trainer for even 1 day- treat yourself and get this session if your gym doesnt offer instruction for free.
    Explain your goals- and do NOT hit the floor (dont waste time) until the trainer has written up a plan- then hit it! And you and the train train and prep a continuing plan. Do NOT be scared- you will LOVE it !! I didnt want to even join a gym at first but my trainer made me feel so comfortable and confident I cant wait to lift- no matter whos already on the floor- I just join in and do my thing and ENJOY too.
  • Krystal7786
    Krystal7786 Posts: 103 Member

I agree with this i carry all my weight in my middle. In the last 2 months i have lost 6 inches in my waist and 4 in my hips by doing high protein and lower carb/wheat products. also more ab work helps!! Add me if yo want to see my food diary as inspiration!!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    For me, my tummy is the last place to slim out, and I have a naturally thick waist. It's a bummer, but keep going. Running can help a lot with that area, and weight loss all over will eventually result in a slimmer stomach.
  • I hate my stomach. It is definitely the main place I gained weight. Not really so much anywhere else, though I did gain in my legs/arms/face, but majority of it is in my stomach. :(
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    I don't have a really large waist (30.5"), BUT I have very stubborn stomach pudge which makes me look large around the middle. I have tried watching my diet, cardio, weights, etc. and I can lose fat just about everyone else, but my stomach is the HARDEST area for me. I have lost ALOT of stomach weight, but I definetly need to lose more. If my stomach were smaller, I'd be alot happier w/ my physique.
  • 2012newbie
    2012newbie Posts: 88 Member
    If you find out, let me know, that's exactly my problem, too. I had 2 sisters that were pears, but not me, I am an apple on a stick.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Have you ever looked into using a kettlebell? My wife and I started using one a couple of weeks ago and I can really tell the effects it has on my abs (at least I think there are abs under there) when I'm done with a work out. From what I've been seeing in videos and reading, the kettlebell works the whole core. You're arms will get bigger and more defined (not in a freakish way) and it will help define your abs. YouTube has a lot of workout ideas and instructional videos, but if you can find a trainer that knows how to use the kettlebell, that would be ideal. I love how I feel like I worked out for an hour with just 10-15 minutes with the kettlebell.

Start with 10-15 pound kettlebell at first, before you move up to the bigger weights, it doesn't seem like much but you don't want to hurt yourself starting out.

Just my $.02.
  • jencooks
    jencooks Posts: 62 Member
    I feel your pain. My stomach and hips are almost the same size. I'm not sure there is much you can do except reduce overall. Even when I was a kid (i.e. VERY thin), I still had the same shape and have been pulling my pants up my whole life.